Announcement

Collapse

IMPORTANT TWR ANNOUNCEMENT

**~~ANNOUNCEMENT!~~** All The Writers' Room members please check the TWR forums for an important new thread! Your feedback is wanted for this exciting announcement & thanks for being part of the team! - JB
See more
See less

PSA: Selling Art for the Episode Platform

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSA: Selling Art for the Episode Platform

Hello Episodians,

We’ve recently heard from a number of you asking if it is okay to sell custom images that use Episode art assets. We are here to set the record straight!

Individuals can use Episode characters, clothing, backgrounds or ads in their stories provided they meet our Content Standards. However, selling works with these items is a different matter and is against our Content Guidelines, Copyright Policy and Terms of Service.

Our Terms of Service indicate that Episode characters, materials and platforms (forum, portal and app) are a free service, and the use of these characters and materials provided are solely for personal and non-commercial use. Selling art or images with Episode assets counts as commercial use. This includes edits of Episode characters, altered renders, and composites. Any art sold must be entirely original artwork and cannot use Episode’s art at all.

We ask all of you to please follow our Policies and Terms of Service and to stop selling items that feature Episode Art Assets. Continuing to sell works with Episode’s art can result in losing access to the Episode platform, up to and including permanent removal.

Thank you all for taking the time to read and please feel free to contact us if you have more questions.

Love,

The Episode Team.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I don't understand why people are stealing artwork, adding to it and selling it for a profit. everyone complains about people stealing stuff but they think it's ok for them to do it

Comment

• TRMNJ
      TRMNJ commented
      Editing a comment
      we don't steal okay bye.

Catherine1 it's not so much that they are stealing it's they think because they take the time to make these for people they are entitled to a profit (which if they designed something completely from scratch (not contour/designing outfits etc) they would be entitled, but they are just using episode assets)

Comment

I AGREE. Thank you for addressing this! I had never understood why people were charging for character edits, loading screens, or cover art.

Since this issue has been on-going for several months now, would it be possible for you to address refunds?

Comment

• JosieT
        JosieT commented
        Editing a comment
        As long as the loading screen or cover art does not include episode characters or are adaptations of a piece of episode art, it is absolutely fine for the editor to charge for it.

Thank you! Everyone keeps doing commissions on Instagram, and it's very wrong in my opinion.

Comment

Someone just told me that that I would have to pay them to do an edit for a few images.... Like why tho..

Comment

• Kandy
          Kandy commented
          Editing a comment
          GoodMorningToki I'd be telling them its against ToS to be using Episode assets and asking to be paid.

Trinady
        So basically, you cannot sell your art if it has anything that is Episode related, even if you draw it from scratch, correct? An example would be: completely drawing a girl from scratch but she is wearing a dress that is an episode outfit. Would that example be against TOS?

Comment

• zetti91
          zetti91 commented
          Editing a comment
          You would be using an episode asset so yes that is against TOS

• Kandy
          Kandy commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't think referencing an outfit is against the ToS I maybe wrong, but I think its only if you are using the actual assets even if you draw over it/outlining/editing/contouring it that's against the ToS to sell. And assuming your drawing of a girl isn't identical to the asset I'd assume your fine but I'm sure Trinady will clear it up for you.

• Trinady
          Trinady commented
          Editing a comment
          If the art contains Episode art (including but not limited to: avatars, ads, hair, clothing, etc) you cannot sell it. If the artwork is wholly original and Episode artwork was used as a reference, than it is okay.

Re: your example -- If girl + dress are wholly original (completely drawn independent from episode avatars / assets) than it is okay.
          Last edited by Trinady; 09-20-2017, 03:24 PM.

Thank you 🙌🙌

Comment

I was wondering if/when this would be addressed since nobody should be profiting off anybody else's original content, including yours.

Would you mind clarifying a few things?

If an artist draws from scratch for a cover or special art feature for commission, they should be able to draw (not tracing or contouring) similar hairstyles and clothing, correct? Many of the hairstyles and clothing used in the app are derived from every day clothing and hairstyles (except for obvious stuff like the Episode jacket from Demi), so I would not think it would be possible to restrict the usage of common things such as those puffer jackets, tank tops, jeans, cornrow faux hawk, classic bob, Afro, etc. (and so much more) Would you mind clarifying the line for us so there's no confusion or uncertainty? I think a lot of us are unsure and we want to be certain that we are all in compliance with your TOS and applicable copyright. Thanks!

Comment

• Trinady
            Trinady commented
            Editing a comment
            If the art contains Episode art (including but not limited to: avatars, ads, hair, clothing, etc) you cannot sell it. If the artwork is wholly original and Episode artwork was used as a reference, than it is okay.

HOW DO WE REPORT THESE PEOPLE!!! SOME IS MAKING ART AND SELLING IT INBETWEEN 50-75$ no joke

Comment

• Erkia
            Erkia commented
            Editing a comment
            I think you're all over reacting. They made a mistake. They need to fix it. Period.

• GoodMorningToki
            GoodMorningToki commented
            Editing a comment
            You can simply just scroll pass it or dismiss it in your feed if its really bothering you so much.

• TRMNJ
            TRMNJ commented
            Editing a comment
            Mia Turner lol I didn't say anything immature or not civil, i was just saying my point calmly.
            GoodMorningToki boi how many time I told you that I understand your point. I just say that some people don't know and you're freaken overeacting that's it. Yeah they don't know, excuse when you do something wrong and you don't know it's wrong, you'll not appreciate that someone will report you directly and you don't know why . You talk about common sense but excuse me but it's something digital with computer, pratically all the editor are less than 18, you can't expect them to relate it to the reality like you just did. Again, idk why you're being so offensive, you're just wasting your time telling me something that i do understand i just want you to understand my point. I don't know why you keep thinking that they did it on purpose or something like this... AND MOST IMPORTANTLY I ALREADY SAID THAT WHAT THEY DID IS WRONG.

I'm actually kind of disappointed that people didn't know this already.. If you're gonna make a business you need to know the damn law..

Comment

• GoodMorningToki
            Editing a comment
            Right Im not saying that if its digital art it shouldnt be paid for... But you got people charging 20$ for edits an contouring.

• CaitlinRumble
            CaitlinRumble commented
            Editing a comment
            I know what you mean. I mean, it probably took the original artist a long time to draw the original artwork... but probably not very long for the people who took it, added some simple junk and then try to sell it again for $20 a piece... like, who ever does that...?

• GoodMorningToki
            Editing a comment
            Right And you got people who are mad becuase Im saying its not right no matter how long it took to make.

What about those special art scenes that some stories use? Like in The Enchantress or The Teacher? Does that count because they use outfits from Episode.

Comment

• JosieT
            JosieT commented
            Editing a comment
            JessicaSwift, true, and I see the very close resemblance. However, this is absolutely legal as the artist only used the flower as a reference and didn't straight out copy + paste the tangled flower.

• JessicaSwift
            JessicaSwift commented
            Editing a comment
            JosieT pretty sure you can't draw your own version of Mickey Mouse and make money for it. Disney are pretty strict.

• JessicaSwift
            JessicaSwift commented
            Editing a comment
            TheTeacher I do know what I am talking about and it is not untrue. I've posted a side by side comparison and can say confidently that this is a good example of passing other people's art off as your own.

Two questions:
          Is it ok for us to commission for cover arts? (not using any Episode items, outfits, or backgrounds at all)
          Can we commission for directing/ scenes? (pay someone to do the directing in our stories)

I've seen people do this as well, and I'm just wondering if it's ok.

Comment

• Trinady
            Trinady commented
            Editing a comment
            This announcement is for Artists who are selling Episode Artwork as their own. That is against our Copyright agreement.

• Scott Sebastian
            Scott Sebastian commented
            Editing a comment
            Pretty much only if you gave credits to the Episode Team. But I guess Trinady has a point there.

i don't charge for my edits but there are many editors that do i wonder if they'll actually read this thread lol

Comment

• Jeremy
            Jeremy commented
            Editing a comment
            You can always feel free to share the link to this thread with anyone who you feel needs it .

What's the stance on people commissioning directing scenes? I've noticed a few people doing that but I would think that would be considered a use of Episode materials?

Comment

• JosieT
            JosieT commented
            Editing a comment
            yeah, this is fine
        Working...
        X