Announcement

Collapse

IMPORTANT TWR ANNOUNCEMENT

**~~ANNOUNCEMENT!~~** All The Writers' Room members please check the TWR forums for an important new thread! Your feedback is wanted for this exciting announcement & thanks for being part of the team! - JB
See more
See less

December 2017 Creator's Contest: STAR POWER

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December 2017 Creator's Contest: STAR POWER

Hey Episode Creators,

I hope you are all excited for our new Creator’s Contest - we are doing something a little different for this one! This contest will be the last contest to be featured in 2017! I give you...
    ~ Star Power ~

via GIPHY

The world of the rich and famous - for some it's an enviable dream, for others a terrifying nightmare. But whatever it is, it's filled with stories.

Tell us your best stories in the world of fame! How do people cope with the stress? What friendships blossom, and which wither? How do you find love in the spotlight? What stories have never been told before?

This contest is extra special! Finalists (those authors whose stories make it to the final review and featured shelf) may be considered for a special partnership with us, where we'll work with them on their story and provide it with extra featuring opportunities.

The specific guidelines are:

1) Your story must have "Star Power" in the title. Stories without "Star Power" in the title will be disqualified. While not required for entry it is strongly recommended that you format your title like this - “Star Power: Hollywood Takeover.” This will help readers search for your story and identify it as a contest entry.

2) You must completely fill out this Google form after you publish your story. Be sure to include your story URL and NOT your share link. Your story URL is visible in the address bar of the web browser you use to access the Writer’s Portal and your script page. It should look something like this: https://www.episodeinteractive.com/w..._Awesome_Story. (<- this part is very important, many, many people mess it up).

3) The primary focus of your story should be on a celebrity lifestyle and / or the world of fame. Perhaps your MC is a rising star, struggling to get ahead in a brutal world or your MC is already famous, and struggling to balance the challenges that come with it. Maybe your MC falls into the life through crazy random happenstance, and can't seem to get away from the Paparazzi for an unknown reason!

However, on this journey your MC must interact with another prominent celebrity who is an impactful character in your story. Your celebrity friend must be chosen from one of these 5 Character Archetypes.
    • The Starlet: A proud former child star turned popular young adult singer and actress who isn’t afraid to speak out about politics, feminism and racial injustice in the United States.
    • The Swoon-worthy Singer: A young, earnest singer / songwriter who was an early adopter to new technology and used this to rise to fame quickly as a teen.
    • The Hollywood Hunk: Famous from a young age for being fit and attractive, this A - List actor has overcome a history of substance abuse, but has stayed on top of his game.
    • The Comedienne: A funny woman who first gained notoriety on Vine and Youtube before becoming a renowned actress and TV personality.
    • The Pop Star: A singer who is just beginning his new solo career after being part of an internationally renowned Boy Band.
    4) We would love to see diverse characters in your stories! For example, characters who are people of color, non-heteronormative, or are of varying religions and socioeconomic backgrounds, just to name a few! To read more about diversity and inclusion on Episode go here.

5) The submission window is just under 7 weeks. Your story must be published no later than 11:59pm PDT on Sunday, December 3rd, 2017.

6) You may NOT use or re-title a previously published story. This must be a new and original work that has not previously been published to Episode or another platform.

7) If you are an official Episode Director or Partner you may enter the contest, but only with original work outside the scope of your contract with us.

8) You may write in any art style and in any genre.

9) Be sure that your story follows our content guidelines and is suitable for a PG-13 audience. Stories that do not follow these guidelines or which violate our Content Guidelines may be disqualified and/or have their story banned from the app. If you are any doubts or questions about whether elements of your story fit with our Content Guidelines please contact the Episode Review team here. We are happy to help you with ANY questions you might have!

10) Winners are determined based on highest levels of reader engagement, rubric score and fit to contest theme.

11) There is no length requirement for this contest. You only need to have 3 completed chapters published by the entry deadline. You may not substantially alter or change your first 3 chapters after the deadline (other than to make minor corrections), but you may publish additional chapters after the submission window closes.

Winners from this contest will be showcased in a special Star Power shelf in the Episode app and get a shoutout on our social media account! Winners will be announced 3 - 4 weeks after the submission deadlines passes as the stories need time to gain reads in the app and also for our staff to review them.

We will also award one of the winning stories the Best Directing honor. Their story will get a shoutout on our Instagram. Generally we look for a director who not only has mastered the basics, but who includes new, interesting or artistic directing.

Happy writing!

Love,

The Episode Team

Last edited by Liz; 10-16-2017, 02:09 PM.

This is an exciting theme! But there is no genre requirements for this contest?

Comment

• Liz
      Liz commented
      Editing a comment
      Correct. You can write in any genre you want to.

watch me try to write something, then it's deadline day, and i've got only two scenes :/

Comment

• xxepisodewriterxx
      xxepisodewriterxx commented
      Editing a comment
      I can relate so hard.

• line123462
      line123462 commented
      Editing a comment
      i can relate to this so much .

• Grace Riverton
      Grace Riverton commented
      Editing a comment
      You just described me...

Is it ok if the MC doesn’t want this whole stardom life but is somehow pulled into it?

Comment

• WoahKeira
      WoahKeira commented
      Editing a comment
      I think that's fine, once the plot is you MC being famous, and the character archtypes must be in your story.
      Last edited by WoahKeira; 11-02-2017, 02:39 PM.

I think I might enter this one!

However, I’m kinda confused on the 5 Character Archetype thing... I have an idea for a story where the MC will have a celebrity mentor-ish thing as their “Celebrity Friend” but they wouldn’t fall under any of those categories... Do I HAVE to have one of those...? Or is it just a few ideas...? And if you do have to use them, how specific to them do you have to be? (Does the gender have to be that same as your specified above? Do they have to be a singer/actor? There are other ways of being famous) If I do have to use them exactly as they are written, it’ll probably change my story idea completely, but I suppose I could make it work
    Last edited by SillyCupcake22233; 10-16-2017, 03:16 PM.

Comment

• Liz
      Liz commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, you HAVE to use one of the Character types in your story.

• SillyCupcake22233
      SillyCupcake22233 commented
      Editing a comment
      @Liz

That is what I assumed.

But do you have to use them exactly as stated? Like could I have a Female Hollywood Hunk? Or a Comidienne who isn’t an actress?

Also, sorry for bugging you. I just have an idea that I’m really excited about but the Archetypes could kinda ruin it. But I suppose I can still work with it.

• Liz
      Liz commented
      Editing a comment
      You need to use the archetypes exactly as they are listed.

Good Luck everyone!

Comment

Can you submit more than one story? Liz

Comment

• Liz
        Liz commented
        Editing a comment
        Unfortunately no, each author may only enter one story per contest.

Are the archetypes gender-locked? Because then the only one open to nonbinary characters is the swoon-worthy singer and all except that one and the comedienne seem kind of stereotypical as far as gender roles are concerned. Making them clearly open to all genders would be better if we're encouraging diversity here.

Comment

• Liz
        Liz commented
        Editing a comment
        The Archetypes must be used exactly as listed. However, they could be written as gay, lesbian or pansexual. They could be people of color. They could come from unique and interesting backgrounds. You can also make your MC as diverse as you want ...

• purplezombieattack
        purplezombieattack commented
        Editing a comment
        I know there are other forms of diversity I can use and I fully intend to use those other forms. I just wanted confirmation about the requirements and to voice concerns about stereotyping in the descriptions themselves. Thanks for responding, though! ^.^ I'm sure other people will find it helpful.
        I'll probably participate (as long as I can set aside enough time) and just use either the swoon-worthy singer or the comedienne. Or both. Not sure yet.

Are collaborations allowed?

Comment

• Liz
        Liz commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, collaborations are allowed.

A few questions...
      Can we have a male or female MC?
      Can the best friend be a female or male in any of the archetypes? I've noticed how you put "his" in some and "her" in others.

This contest is extra special! Finalists (those authors whose stories make it to the final review and featured shelf) may be considered for a special partnership with us, where we'll work with them on their story and provide it with extra featuring opportunities.
      Do you have to be 18 or older? Like you have to be in order to get writers payments?

Comment

• Liz
        Liz commented
        Editing a comment
        MC can any gender. If the archetypes specify a gender they, need to be that gender. Authors need to be 13+ to enter this contest.

• GiGi is Me
        GiGi is Me commented
        Editing a comment
        What I mean is if the need to be over 18 in order to have a special partnership?

• Mia Turner
        Mia Turner commented
        Editing a comment
        Obviously not otherwise it would be stated?

Liz Can you use more than one archetype within the story?

Comment

• CaitlinRumble
        CaitlinRumble commented
        Editing a comment
        I was totally just about to ask that same question

Liz Since The Swoon-worthy Singer is the only one that's not gender specific. Can they be any gender? And can we use more than one Archetype? Thank you!
      Last edited by lamecast88; 10-17-2017, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Not entering this one but I'm excited to read these stories!

Comment

Is the archetype's role up to us or do they have to be some sort of mentor to the MC?

Comment

So I see that the deadline is December 3rd, 2017 at 11:59 PDT. Are we allowed to publish our story before the deadline?

Comment

• Stephanie_M
              Stephanie_M commented
              Editing a comment
              You can, but your reader retention rate for the contest doesn't start until once the deadline has passed.

• Moe3232
              Moe3232 commented
              Editing a comment
              Stephanie_M so you are saying it's better to wait until the Deadline?

• Stephanie_M
              Stephanie_M commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I would wait until the day of the deadline.
          Working...
          X