Announcement

Collapse

IMPORTANT TWR ANNOUNCEMENT

**~~ANNOUNCEMENT!~~** All The Writers' Room members please check the TWR forums for an important new thread! Your feedback is wanted for this exciting announcement & thanks for being part of the team! - JB
See more
See less

Portal Update!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portal Update!

Hello Episodians!

Portal has updated two features this week! First is the style picker. Now it’s easier than ever to use!

Current:

NEW:

The second feature affected is Fanmail. Based off of your requests and in response to feedback around unkind messages we’ve added a block button! It takes the place of the “Trash” icon.

Once a marked comment is “blocked” you will have the option to block a specific comment OR all the messages from that sender. When you block someone, a set of instructions will appear at the top, letting you know what to do next.

You can manage your “blocked” messages in your all-new Blocked Messages folder.

As part of this feature, the next time the app updates, when you use Fanmail your comments will use your Episode Profile name. We hope this feature will encourage everyone to be kinder and more thoughtful in their interactions with each other.

As always, if you have any issues with these please let Support know!

Love,

The Episode Team

Oh this looks so much cooler! Thanks Episode Team! <3

Comment

This is so cool!

Comment

Finally! Thank you!

Comment

Trinady

While I feel this has been a long time coming, I think it hasn't been thought out fully.
          It's going to cause so much more hate, arguments, tension etc
          You've got fake friends sending their so called "friends" hate mail (which has become apparent already) AND PEOPLE JUST BEING PLAIN MEAN.

While it's a blessing that you can see who's sent every message. but I feel like it breaches peoples right to say things what they couldn't necessarily say as themselves.

Now not only have you made it possible for people to know who has sent these message, you're going to link their actual profiles to it too?

It is SO WRONG the messages these people have sent some are truly disgusting and vile. but those who have sent them could face a bigger backlash now, its been proven time and time on the community that people are a pack of wild vultures who follow in packs (if one is hurt, upset, mad etc their friends join them), they will tear people apart. this will lead to several people leaving, getting hate and attacked. it can have a damaging affect on that person. and I'm not saying that they are innocent and aren't in the wrong for saying it in the first place they really are. (but have you even thought about how many people could be feeling so anxious and panicking about how they will now be exposed? how many could be having so many thoughts going through there head that could lead to suicide thoughts from them)

People leave fan mail for various reasons.

But surely you could have come up with a solution where people start a fresh. this feature would of helped people be nicer from the beginning from a new release of it. now it going to cause uproar.
          Last edited by episodesam; 11-03-2017, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• Lillys.episode
            Lillys.episode commented
            Editing a comment
            It sounds like once the episode app updates, for all fanmail after the update it will use our user names. So for fanmail moving forward but not old fanmail, allowing people to start a fresh. I could be wrong but that's just how I read it. *Sidenote* I'm excited for the update just wanted to comment as I read it for clarification purposes.
            Last edited by Lillys.episode; 11-06-2017, 09:01 AM.

• coolandlazy
            coolandlazy commented
            Editing a comment
            So you think its better for these mean people to get away with sending nasty comments. Most trolls aren't going to stop and blocking them from a story and getting them banned is a great thing and can teach them to stop being mean in the first place. Cyberbullying is a HUGE issue and it must stop. Unless you have CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM just keep it to yourself.

• Trinady
            Trinady commented
            Editing a comment
            The feature isn't retroactive. It'll only be moving forward you'll be able to see the names of people who left comments.

Thank you so much for this new update, especially with the fanmail. Hoping that this will help the community.

I have a question however, because we have the ability to sign in and out of our profiles. What is to stop somebody from creating multiple troll accounts to remain anonymous? I’m guessing with the way the fanmails are grouped together now that they’ll still be linked to a device, am I right? And if that’s the case, how will you manage profiles that are collabs between authors and may be shared across multiple devices?

Comment

• Trinady
            Trinady commented
            Editing a comment
            On our end, we can see who's who, so if anyone does this and are reported, we'll be able to tell.

I have a clear conscious. I are however thinking of the ton of "kids" which could be affected by this.

Comment

• Episode.author50
            Episode.author50 commented
            Editing a comment
            Kids need to learn that actions have consequences. Nobody cares about the fears that bullies are having over being exposed for being bullies. Don’t do dirt and you won’t get muddy. Meanwhile, there are innocent authors who have been terrorized and harassed for years that can now breathe easier.

Fanmail update: BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks Trinady & episode for this! I BELIEVE the fan mail update will cause less people to leave hate mail out of fear of being exposed, regardless of using troll accounts. Suggestion: Maybe when a person is blocked they can receive an email, video, message or something speaking on the effects of cyber bullying and statistics of people who commit suicide due to it. A little education of how impactful their comments could be will go a long way. For those worried about backlash (I'm concerned you might be one of these hate mail senders who are afraid of getting exposed. Hopefully you're not.): It won't happen if hate isn't posted, so the moral of this is if people don't post hate then they won't be exposed by authors who choose to do so. It's not ok to send people hate, especially since a lot of authors work hard and give their all to their stories while trying to maintain their possibly busy/chaotic daily life. It's draining and depressing to put a lot into your work and receive terrible comments regarding it and yourself. Anyone posting hate is a coward who needs help on being a better human being! *If you have nothing nice to say then it shouldn't be said.
            Last edited by 1Foreign_Soul; 11-03-2017, 01:08 PM.

Comment

When you block a reader, does that block them from just one story's fan-mail or all of your stories?

Comment

• Trinady
                Trinady commented
                Editing a comment
                Just from one story!

I still kinda wish the fanmail made people sign into google or something so they couldn't remain anonymous. I just feel there would be more accountability then. Also, once something hurtful is said, the damage is done, it can't be unsaid- blocking that person could avoid further damage yes, but ...you get what I mean I just turned mine off, I got so much abuse before that I just won't do it again so I'm personally glad for this "off" option over any others.

edit: i totally missed the comment "As part of this feature, the next time the app updates, when you use Fanmail your comments will use your Episode Profile name. We hope this feature will encourage everyone to be kinder and more thoughtful in their interactions with each other."

Thank you Episode. This is really needed. Many people have multiple profiles, but hopefully this will still hinder them. I will still keep mine off
              Last edited by myarmyofmonkeys; 11-06-2017, 05:04 PM.

Comment

As part of this feature, the next time the app updates, when you use Fanmail your comments will use your Episode Profile name. We hope this feature will encourage everyone to be kinder and more thoughtful in their interactions with each other.
                This is great. It's really sad that something which should be so positive (fanmail) has really become so negative. Whilst I've personally been fairly lucky with mostly positive fanmail, I know a lot of people get a lot of really unnecessary hate. The block option is fantastic too.

Comment

• myarmyofmonkeys
                  myarmyofmonkeys commented
                  Editing a comment
                  EliseC I totally missed that part! I am SO glad about that!

Thanks, it's fantastic, but I noticed that when I unblocked a message that I'd blocked by mistake, my unread messages counter has been messed up. It now shows an unread message that doesn't exist.

Comment

• quixote.chic
                  quixote.chic commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm experiencing the same thing.

• Echo_D
                  Echo_D commented
                  Editing a comment
                  quixote.chic I've submitted a ticket (I've been doing that a lot lately!) and I'm waiting for changes Hopefully, it will be resolved for you and me and everyone else soon.

Looks amazing!

Comment

I'm concerned about the update coming up, with the Episode profile attachment thingy. I'm worried that it'll prevent users from sending honest fanmail, since being honest can come more easily anonymously. Don't get me wrong- I'm not talking about hatemail, only constructive criticism. I would want my readers to be completely honest with me, so I can improve my story.

Comment

• myarmyofmonkeys
                    myarmyofmonkeys commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You could always ask for feedback in the forums. Did I read your story? I think I did, and I think I provided good honest feedback? To be honest, blind user names have been barred from many review sites, news sites, even food critic sites... most of the time it requires a google or facebook sign it, so this is nothing new, new for episode, and very late in coming. I'm over the moon about it, I cannot be anymore glad that haters don't get to wear a mask anymore.

• Angel101
                    Angel101 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    myarmyofmonkeys I definitely see your point! Haters are horrible and cowards hiding behind their mask of anonymity, and though I do agree they will be less encouraged to just randomly hate on people with no real substance to their words, I also hope that readers won't be too shy to provide criticism. And yeah, I do think you've read it before... it's been a while since I've really thought about my story, since I discontinued it. I'm almost positive you provided completely honest advice and feedback- I faintly remember it. Thank you for telling me about the blind user name thing!
                Working...
                X