Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spotlight on Love: Writers Contest for December 2017!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotlight on Love: Writers Contest for December 2017!

Hey Episode Creators ,

I hope you are all excited for our new Creator’s Contest - we are celebrating the re-release of Episode’s Spotlight style! This contest will be our Valentine’s Day contest for 2018! I give you...
    ~ Spotlight on Love ~

It’s time to shine a Spotlight on Love just in time for Valentine’s Day. Love can take many forms - which will you choose?

The specific guidelines are:

1) Your story must have "Spotlight" in the title. Stories without "Spotlight" in the title will be disqualified. While not required for entry it is strongly recommended that you format your title like this - “Spotlight: Love in the Air.” This will help readers search for your story and identify it as a contest entry.

2) You must completely fill out this Google form after you publish your story. Be sure to include your story URL and NOT your share link. Your story URL is visible in the address bar of the web browser you use to access the Writer’s Portal and your script page. It should look something like this: https://www.episodeinteractive.com/w..._Awesome_Story. (<- this part is very important, many, many people mess it up).

In the event that you send the wrong the link, please send your story title, email address and the correct link in a support ticket so we can update your entry.

3) The primary focus of your story should be on love. However, this is not limited to romance / romantic love. You can write in any genre but remember that the primary focus of your story must be love.

4) 100% OF YOUR CHARACTERS MUST APPEAR IN SPOTLIGHT BUBBLES. Stories which contain Cinematic Style characters and animations will be disqualified. The guides for Spotlight style are here.

5) We would love to see diverse characters in your stories! For example, characters who are people of color, non-heteronormative, or are of varying religions and socioeconomic backgrounds, just to name a few! To read more about diversity and inclusion on Episode go here.

6) The submission window is just under 1 month. This contest is shorter than normal because directing in Spotlight story should take less time. Your story must be published no later than 11:59pm Pacific Time on Monday, January 22nd, 2018.

7) You may NOT use or re-title a previously published story. This must be a new and original work that has not previously been published to Episode or another platform.

8) If you are an official Episode Director or Partner you may enter the contest, but only with original work outside the scope of your contract with us.

9) Be sure that your story follows our content guidelines and is suitable for a PG-13 audience. Stories that do not follow these guidelines or which violate our Content Guidelines may be disqualified and/or have their story banned from the app. If you are any doubts or questions about whether elements of your story fit with our Content Guidelines please contact the Episode Review team here. We are happy to help you with ANY questions you might have!

10) For technical reasons, Spotlight is compatible with Ink and Limelight only.

11) Winners are determined based on highest levels of reader engagement, rubric score and fit to contest theme.

12) There is no length requirement for this contest. You only need to have 3 completed chapters published by the entry deadline. You may not substantially alter or change your first 3 chapters after the deadline (other than to make minor corrections), but you may publish additional chapters after the submission window closes. Fixing typos and errors are allowed after the deadline for contest entries. This includes things like character or speech bubble placement or typos. When in doubt ask Support.

Winners from this contest will be showcased in a special Spotlight on Love shelf in the Episode app and get a shoutout on our social media account! Winners will be announced 3 - 4 weeks after the submission deadlines passes as the stories need time to gain reads in the app and also for our staff to review them.

Happy writing!

Love,

The Episode Team
    Last edited by Liz; 12-22-2017, 04:41 PM.

so cool! can't wait to see what people come out with

Comment

A contest that I can finally enter without having to spend time on directing!!!

QUESTION: Can the very very beginning of the first episode be "cinematic" just for the character customization part?
      Last edited by Dara Amarie; 12-22-2017, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• Queen Faith
        Queen Faith commented
        Editing a comment
        Stara57 that’s how spotlight works, only one character can appear at a time

• Stara57
        Stara57 commented
        Editing a comment
        Queen Faith In a google document made by episode it said that you could have two characters in one scene at the same time

• Queen Faith
        Queen Faith commented
        Editing a comment
        Stara57 I don't know about that but I do know that you can have the narrator talking while a character is still on the screen.If you do find out if that's true make sure to tell me.

Can the main characters fall in love later in the story?

Comment

• Zerda.episode
        Zerda.episode commented
        Editing a comment
        It says the main Focus should be love so why not?

Hi there I just have a quick question! I know that the story has to be in spotlight format but would we be able to have a stationary background with INK characters in a pose to capture dramatic moments like a kiss or a proposal? Like a special art scene, but it was an edit with cinematic poses? I don't know if that makes sense haha.

Comment

• anonymous.writes
        anonymous.writes commented
        Editing a comment
        I was thinking the same!

• EliseC
        EliseC commented
        Editing a comment
        I also want to know this!

• Liz
        Liz commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, you can use very infrequent stationary backgrounds for important moments. However, please remember that this contest is to celebrate the re-release of Spotlight style and that your stories should focus on Spotlight style. Stories that relay too heavily on stationary backgrounds will likely suffer in the judging for "fit to contest theme."

Similar question to above: is it acceptable to use cinematic format for character customization and outfit selection? Thanks!

Comment

• Margaret A. Knox
        Margaret A. Knox commented
        Editing a comment
        Trinady Jeremy Please let us know. A lot of people have this question. Thanks!

• Liz
        Liz commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, please see my response to comment #3.

This is the first contest I’ll actually be participating in! I have so many ideas that I hope work out.

Comment

Arghhhh! The perfect contest for me, and of course Episode isn't working on my phone! Good thing we don't have to do much directing, though. As long as my head fills with ideas, I should be good.

Comment

Sounds like fun. May be considering doing this if I can think of a good storyline.

Comment

Is Spotlight already back in writer’s portal? It doesn’t show on mine if it already is back.

Comment

I love love. I also love the spotlight format soo much. directing may be limited, but the potentials for narrating is what I’m looking forward to.

Comment

Hey Liz I have the same question as Dara Amarie , can we let customize characters in "cinematic" way? And can there be a special art scenes, but characters will be shown also in "cinematic" way? Thank you

Comment

• Liz
                  Liz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Please see my responses above.

• Veronica
                  Veronica commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Liz commented
                  12-26-2017, 08:15 PM
                  Yes, you can use very infrequent stationary backgrounds for important moments. However, please remember that this contest is to celebrate the re-release of Spotlight style and that your stories should focus on Spotlight style. Stories that relay too heavily on stationary backgrounds will likely suffer in the judging for "fit to contest theme."

*Cracks knuckles* Awww yassss. I have grown to love directing etc. on Episode, but writing narration is my jam. I already have vague ideas for a story swirling around.

Comment

Eh, tbh I think this is gonna be harder for me since I'm used to the "Cinematic" style of episode. Where can I get clear tutorials?

Comment

Oooooooo! This sounds interesting- can't wait to see what people come up with

Comment

Working...
                  X