Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The future of styles in Episode

Hello Episodians,

We thought we’d take this opportunity to restate our stance on Classic vs. Ink and explain why we’ve made that decision. We also want to discuss some suggestions to help you guys work with us in a productive and effective manner when it comes to requests for Episode.

Will you be updating Classic in the future?
    As we have said before, we are not making new assets for Classic. Our stance has not changed.

Why won’t Episode be developing Classic? I really like it and I see lots of other people do too!
    I know that some of you guys really love Classic. We do, too - which is why we don’t remove it as an option for you guys. But our thinking behind this decisions is this:
    • Readers’ reading patterns suggest a strong preference for Ink
      • We have tested a few stories in both Classic and Ink and compared reading behavior. In every case, 20% more people continue reading Ink stories versus Classic. Thats a huge difference! Stories like Campus Crush and Lovestruck are shown to the same number of users, in the same spot on the same shelf, promoted in the same way, and the Ink version always did significantly better than the Classic. Our readers’ behavior shows that they prefer Ink.
      • We love you guys, as well as our entire Episode community! We know that many of you love Classic, but this is a moment where the subset of our community that is vocal on social media or the forums does not seem to reflect the feelings of everyone who uses the app. We have millions of readers, together reading hundreds of millions of episodes and the data tells us that readers prefer Ink (meaning that all of our writers and storytellers will be more successful with Ink!). We have to balance the needs of all the wonderful people who use and love Episode, not just the ones on Instagram.
    • Since we know that readers like Ink better, we want our art team able to stay focused on making our Ink library as robust as Classic as quickly as we can. We’re listening to your feedback on Ink as we continue to adjust it and expand it to make it even better!
    What about my favorite Classic outfits and animations? I don’t want to give them up!
    • We know there are things in Classic that our authors love and don’t want to lose. We don’t want you to lose them either! Please help us do this by replying to this thread with clothing, hair, animations, etc. that you want added to Ink from the Classic library, we will do our best to convert them in the future.
    • PS: Yes we are working on fantasy clothing items We know how much you want those!
    A message from Episode: Let’s talk about petitions and #hashtag campaigns.

Let’s be real here for a minute Episodians - there have been three recent Change.org petitions directed at Episode. Two of them were launched as a first resort without even attempting to contact an Episode staff member directly about the request. We have multiple channels where anyone can reach out and connect with an Episode employee. To go the petition and bombardment route first, without even attempting to contact us, left us feeling a little attacked. We’d rather have a conversation with you guys, like we hope to in this post, rather than just feel yelled at.

I would ask all of you this: if without warning, you checked your Instagram feed only to find hundreds of angry comments from people demanding that you make a change to your story. They say you are treating them unfairly for not giving them what they want and demand that you make their changes. How would you feel? I’m just trying to explain how these petition can come across and I hope this helps. In the future we will be less inclined to respond to feedback, feature requests and #movements that are not preceded by attempts to contact staff directly before launching petitions and #hashtag campaigns.

All of you, our authors, our readers, our directors - we want you to love our app, we want you to enjoy the time you spend with Episode - it is the driving force behind what we do. That the community seems to think we don’t care saddens us. We can’t always comment on everything that is posted or suggested, but we read the forums, we circulate threads to the team, we share your Instagram posts at all-hands meetings. We hear you! I promise we do, and I’ll continue to make an effort to make sure you guys see that we do.

How do I contact Episode if I have an idea I want to share or a feature I want to request?
    We love to hear from our readers and authors about how we can improve the app and make it a better experience. Some of our coolest features have come from suggestions from the community! (Genre specific trending sections, pregnancy outfits and the upcoming vertical scrolling are just a few.) You have a number of ways to contact us with these kinds of requests.They are listed here in our preferred order:As always, we look forward to your comments and questions below!
    Last edited by Liz; 05-11-2016, 07:05 PM.

Thank you for addressing things.

I especially agree with the bombardment. You all have shown a willingness to listen since the first campaign, where it was actually used as a last resort. Much respect to you all and thank you.

Just a question. People are concerned about losing outfits and animations in Classic. So how is converting the animations and outfits from Classic to Ink going to address the problem with outfits and animations in Classic disappearing? This wording concerns me that there will be an altogether push out of Classic in the future. Is that what we should expect in the future?
    Last edited by Episode.author50; 05-11-2016, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• Maria_PWD
      Maria_PWD commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello, Liz. You say that "Classic outfits and animations that recently disappeared were not publicly available" - we all know about those "hidden animations", but these outfits were (and still are) in the library. Plus when these animations are removed from all writers, some of us can still use the "new" clothes - meaning it's not removed from everyone = maybe it's a bug?

I'd like to have @ flex animation if it passes the testing. And @ drinking1.

• Episode.author50
      Episode.author50 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your response Liz! Some of the non new clothes for guys have been coming up as invalid, so I wasn't 100% sure what was happening. (I'll submit a ticket later) I'm glad to see that there isn't any intention to diminish the Classic selection since so many stories were already in progress before Ink was released.

As for the animations, def the punching and receive_punch, flexing and reading1

• ♥Eli_Cupcakes♥
      ♥Eli_Cupcakes♥ commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Liz. I was wondering if you could add some of the clothing from Campus Life like the clockwork wings? Thanks so much if you do, it's honestly okay if no since I understand people like INK better.

Also did you test Ink on every genre, or just romance? Just curious.

Comment

• wyverntail
      wyverntail commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I've seen a few adventure/ fantasy stories in INK and I'm wondering how other people can feel like it works well.

• Dark Hollow
      Dark Hollow commented
      Editing a comment
      I've also seen a Mystery story in Ink, just saying.

• Episode.author50
      Episode.author50 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sorry ~Just Rebel~ would you mind clarifying what you were "just saying"? I was asking Liz if they tested in the same way the tested the romance stories such as Campus Crush and Lovestruck. Not sure what you're trying to say. I didn't mean are there any ink stories in other genres. Clearly there are.

Liz Thanks for updating us on the current situation. It's sad that Classic won't update but results can't lie. But is it possible to bring back some of the items from the classic catalogue that disappear? Like that props, camera necklace? They used to be in Episode, so it's not like creating a whole new thing for classic, right?

Also, will Episode bring back the punching, receive punch, and other hidden animations for classic?

Comment

• Liz
      Liz commented
      Editing a comment
      Please see my response above I think I answered your questions.

Thanks for posting this, Liz. I've always liked how the staff handles feedback and the engagement with the community. It's probably one of the main reasons why I keep coming back, haha.

I don't know about the rest, but my personal favourite hairstyle in Classic was the Punk Hair for females. I love it because that hairstyle was the only one which had more than 1 colour, which adds a very nice touch. I'd like to see this, and more hairstyles like this in Ink.

In terms of animations, I think the one I'm missing the most is tinker_rear / tinkeringrear (as it was called for male characters) at this point.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Comment

• Dark Hollow
      Dark Hollow commented
      Editing a comment
      It's my favourite too!

• Liz
      Liz commented
      Editing a comment
      Punk hair and tinkering are added to the list.

#RIPClassic

Comment

R.I.P Classic indeed.

Still, if they are going to add stuff to the Ink style from Classic, there are a ton of Classic hairstyles I'd like to see. Here's hoping for the best

Comment

• Liz
        Liz commented
        Editing a comment
        I've added a bunch of Classic Hairstyles to the list.

• ♥Eli_Cupcakes♥
        ♥Eli_Cupcakes♥ commented
        Editing a comment
        Could you add the "Clockwork Wings" from Campus Life to classic or ink?

Hey Liz!

Thank you for taking the time to post this and clearly outline what the plans and reasons are for the decisions Episode is making moving forward I am excited to see INK develop and am relieved to hear that Classic won't be diminished. It's good to know that you are working on restoring the animations that have disappeared! I personally would like to see the following animations reinstated:

punching
      receive_punch
      flex

I have seen little posts here and there about #pregnancyoutfits or something... I didn't quite realize the magnitude of all that! I am sorry this is happening so often, and I appreciate that it's unfair to you. Thank you for being open to suggestions and dialogue -- in fact, the way I see it, your team's accessibility to us (especially you, @Liz) is unique when it comes to apps and such, and something easily taken for granted. I hope people take advantage of that graciously instead of starting movements for the sake of starting movements, which some people are driven to it seems. I am always grateful that you are within an e-mail or support ticket's reach, and thank you for acknowledging our suggestions and as of late, incorporating them in all sorts of ways! We know you care, and thank you for that

Comment

• Liz
        Liz commented
        Editing a comment
        Flex and punching have been added to the list.

I didn't even realize there was two separate story styles until recently when I started to create my own. I also didn't realize I was able to change the style when I first started. I know you asked for suggestions for Ink (which is the style that my story is in, because, again, I didn't realize there was a difference at first) so here is mine. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE the gorilla suit as well as swamp monster to be in INK. I neeeeeeeeeeeed them for my story! Please and thank you!!!

Comment

• Liz
        Liz commented
        Editing a comment
        Gorilla Suit and swamp monster have been added to the list.

• cher_bear55
        cher_bear55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!! Hopefully they come into effect sooner then later!

Thanks for posting this, Liz! I actually really like the INK style and am excited to see it continue to develop.

Classic style has such a nice variety of hair, so I would love to see some of those converted to ink style. My favorite hairstyles are "Wavy Up," "Woman's Elderly Bun," "Wet Messy," "Wavy Long Bangs," "Wavy Hair," "Pigtails," "Medium Messy," "Long Waves," "Long Flowy," and "Bob" for the girls. For the guys, "Bangs Cascade," "Curly Blitz," "Guy Cowlick Hair," and "Guy Short Neat Wavy Hair." Sorry if this is a lot! Also, there was one nose option in classic that had freckles. I would love if there were some freckle options in INK.

Thank you Liz, and the rest of the Episode team for listening to our suggestions and comments! It's greatly appreciated!

Comment

• Liz
        Liz commented
        Editing a comment
        All the hairstyles you suggested and freckles have been added to the list.

Totally agree, many of Classic's hairdos are really pretty and I'd love to see their converted versions (like Classic Feathered...that's actually one of my favs).

I think that the tread_water actions (They could probably be turned to look more natural-ish. I thought they were kind of weirdly executed) would be good to cross over to Ink. We need swimming actions, because walking in the water just doesn't cut it. And if there will be no flying action in the near future, or at all the female tread_water is actually a pretty good substitute. (It would be good for male too, but I don't really want a character clutching his throat while trying to scale a bunch of mountains or something. XD)
      ​@KatlynGoesRawr YES! WE NEED FRECKLES!

And I would also include a bunch of fantasy stuff, but you've (Liz) already assured us some of those things are on the way. So glad, I have a story where my Fae and a very defiant Pixie don't even have wings. XD

And yes, thanks a ton for hearing us!

Comment

• Liz
        Liz commented
        Editing a comment
        Feathered hair and tread water have been added to the list.

KatlynGoesRawr FRECKLES OMG YESSSS

Comment

Liz you didn't say anything about spotlight. Is there ever a chance the episode team will bring it back? I've had so many story ideas that would just NOT work with ink or classic, and I'm upset that it was taken away from us.
        Last edited by wyverntail; 05-13-2016, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• wyverntail
          wyverntail commented
          Editing a comment
          Liz said they got rid of it because too many writers were uploading inappropriate pictures, but that doesn't really explain things since that happens in classic too. :/

• Liz
          Liz commented
          Editing a comment
          We looked into bringing Spotlight back, but unfortunately are not able to do it at this time. wyverntail mentioned inappropriate pictures and she is correct. However, the volume of inappropriate pictures we saw in Spotlight is far, far greater than what we get from authors who upload background and story card art.

• wyverntail
          wyverntail commented
          Editing a comment
          Liz you said you are unable to bring it back at this time. Is there a possibility it might be brought back at a later time? Perhaps in a few years or something?

Everyone already said my favourite actions so I'm just going to suggest one, talk_retort. I really love that action!

Comment

• Liz
          Liz commented
          Editing a comment
          Talk_retort has been added to the list.

I would like to see more jewelry options! Classic has so many great options like hair clips that ink doesn't. The jewelry would be a great addition! 😊

Comment

Working...
        X