No announcement yet.

Things you should never do in stories.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things you should never do in stories.

I'm not trying to be rude to anyone, but I absolutely hate it when stories have things like
    1. They say something (Let's just say a character goes on a date with someone....) But they never see, or talk about the character again.

2. People wait way to long to get to the main topic of the story. For example, the story is about this girl forced into marriage, yet she doesn't even know, nor does it mention anything about marriage until the 15th chapter.

3. Stories, that change topic way to quickly. For example Character 1: "Omg my mom died!" Character 2: "Oh wow I'm sorry!" Character 3 "Hey, want to go to a party?!" Character 1: "Yes of course!"

4. Stories where in the choices, no matter what you choose you will have the same outcome. For example, it doesn't matter if you pick choice 1 or 2, you will still end up with everyone angry at you.

5. Stories that end with unexplained answers. For example, in a murder mystery story where you escape the murderer, yet you never know the motive, nor if everyone else lived or died...

6. False advertising... Say that the story description is about someone finding her mother, but instead, the story is about this girl who fell in love with the bad boy.

7. This one is a bit like number 5, but it is when during the entire story they talk about their big secret, and it is either useless and irrelevant, or it is never revealed.

8. This is one I hate the absolute most! I hate it when people like making the main character be very weak, knocked out with one slap, let even little kids boss her around, way to forgiving, always kidnapped, shot, burst into tears, too emotional, forced to do everything,... All of those! Like in the Demi story (SPOILERS) When the MC was getting yelled at for "cheating" on her boyfriend, she never had the nerve to say something like "He kissed me!" or "Oh yeah, what about that sexy kitten character?" something like that. Why can't there be a main character that is strong for once, and have the ability to defend herself. Why are the MCs always the damsels in distress?
    Last edited by GiGi is Me; 04-21-2017, 09:17 AM. Reason: That sounded like a rant...

Oh lord #3 is the bane of my existence. I can't tell you how many stories attempt to grasp at a difficult subject - such as the death of a loved one - only to have the character move on almost immediately??? And then NEVER mention the death again as if it hadn't happened at all. The second I see anything like that I hightail it out of there. Not to mention quick scene changes that give me a freaking headache to read - the death and then party immediately after, or where the MC has to move in with a bad boy two seconds later or whatever...

Fake choices bother me as well. I get that they're necessary sometimes to instill some sense of linearity within a CYOA kind of story but of the ones I've come across recently, you get maybe one or two different lines and then it doesn't matter anymore. The only impactful choice within those stories is the very last choice where you choose your final love interest. Makes the rest of the story bland in comparison.

But what reeeaally irritates me is having to read through mundane, unimportant author messages. The ones saying that it's their first story, the first blah blah chapters are short but give it a chance!!! One story I read was well written and had a nice plot, but the author's messages at the beginning and end of every chapter was really off putting. Eventually I stopped reading because they posted a message cursing out 'the haters' or whatever in a rudely phrased way. So yeah, to authors, I don't recommend doing this. If you have to, just keep it to a minimum.

(I get carried away sometimes with the length of my posts haha so TL;DR: I hate it went stories introduce a traumatic event only to never mention it again, have rapid scene changes, false choices, and include unnecessary author messages.)

Comment

• GiGi is Me
      GiGi is Me commented
      Editing a comment
      I know. I have read countless stories when the author mentions o talks about something (especially something important) yet they decide to go to a different subject. And for the long intros, I can't tell you how much I hate them.

• CatterPie_Blue
      CatterPie_Blue commented
      Editing a comment
      Goddd, I know. Like "Nooo my parents are dead, I'm so crushed and sad." Three lines later, "Gasp! Dis badboy's house is huge!"

Authors who complain about readers in the story. I get sometimes addressing delays and such, but I've read stories where there's a page-long rant that really belongs here or on Instagram.

EDIT: Or, what herover said.

Comment

I agree with Point 2. In my opinion, the main topic of the story needs to be covered within the first 3/4 chapters. Beyond that means readers will lose interest.

Comment

I actually dislike when putting on an outfit in certain circumstances does nothing. In parts of my second story I have created a conditional choice as to how the other character will react to what you are wearing. IE: Wear Orions clothes (because they smell goood lol) or wear Serenity's dress. Orion would react accordingly "Oh uhm, you are wearing my clothes" or "Wow...you look nice" or whatever

Comment

• GiGi is Me
          GiGi is Me commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree. I'm one of those people who goes through like, every outfit and even if I pick something weird, I would expect someone to say something more than "Wow, you look cute" or "OMG you look amazing!"

I agree with a lot of what you've said, especially #4, but it's more along the lines of contradicting choices. For example, I picked not to go out on a date with a character because I really didn't want trust the character and didn't want the MC do date him, but guess what? She went out with him anyway. If you want romance to happen, then don't make it a "choice."

Comment

• GiGi is Me
          GiGi is Me commented
          Editing a comment
          i would rather the story have zero choices than to have useless stuff like that.

The classic: ''This is my first story, so sorry it isn't good. The story will get better after chapter 8!'' I just click out of it. Why should I waste 8 passes on your story if you don't even think it's good?

Also, model catwalk introductions. The MC stands on screen, someone walks in, the MC introduces them and then they walk out and then repeat that 4 more times.

Comment

• Ky.
          Ky. commented
          Editing a comment
          Ugh, I can't stand those introductions. I want to learn who the characters are through the story and their dialogue, not through a lengthy narrated description.

• JessicaSwift
          JessicaSwift commented
          Editing a comment
          One of the best rules of writing: Show, don't tell.

Thanks for sharing your opinions! I recognize a LOT. Especially #4. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE TO PAY GEMS FOR THOSE.

Another issue I come across a lot in user stories, is pointless, long dialogue which makes me forget the main story. As well as pointless characters. Just don't do it. It's confusing and makes me lose interest in the actual story.

Comment

Working...
        X