DISCUSSION : The comedy genre

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DISCUSSION : The comedy genre

I feel like the stories in the comedy genre aren't focusing on comedy, it's more like 90% romance, 9% drama and and 1% comedy. I mean if you were going to write a romance story why not classified it in romance ? If you wanted to write a story in a comedy genre it should be based mainly on comedy. Why do people put romance stories in the comedy genre ?

Well, as a writer on the comedy genre. I am not going to lie, I wrote a rom/com but because that way you can keep your story funny without trying too hard. Sometimes on the comedy genre you find stories that are not funny because every single dialogue is trying to make you laugh, if that makes sense.
    When I wrote my story what I wanted to do was make it funny in a natural way, the plot is funny and sometimes there are jokes and like 90% sarcasm. And the drama part, well stories need to have a little drama for the climax of the story. All movies or books have that part where everything goes wrong, so at the end you can have a happy ending.
    I hope that was a good explanation hehe.

Comment

• Solete
      Solete commented
      Editing a comment
      Mmmm I see your point. And you're mostly right, I've seen and read the trending comedy stories and I haven't laughed at all. Its mostly just romance with some cheesy lines and stuff to try and make it funny.

• Blue.Jay
      Blue.Jay commented
      Editing a comment
      Which story is yours? I enjoy a good Rom com.

• Solete
      Solete commented
      Editing a comment
      It's called My Ex's Wedding, if you read it please tell me if you liked it it's pretty new.

Expanding on what the user above me said, all comedies have some sort of other genre incorporated to keep the readers interested. Rom-coms are a prime example of this. Even in sitcoms - situational comedies - the writers always include drama, romance and sometimes mystery into these shows and stories so the readers have something real to latch onto rather than just trying to make it as funny as possible.
    You can't expect an app directed toward younger teens to feature stories similar to, say, the Three Stooges, Looney Tunes, etc.. That is just blatant comedy that often seems as though they're trying too hard to make it funny, and not everybody likes that. I mean, even Scooby Doo always has a mystery in it, even though I find it amusing.

You see, without other genres, such as romance, drama, mystery, etc., there would be no real plot and thus there would be no way to really leave an impact on your readers and develop your characters. How are you supposed to really leave a mark when your character's all just say one liners and dance around like hooligans to try and spark a smile out of a reader/viewer? Personally, I prefer Friends over the Three Stooges. Friends is comedy, and that's obvious, but it also has drama and romance to keep me on my toes, and the comedy expands off of those other genres -- for example, Ross and Rachel's comedic fighting, or Phoebe's entire life story (let's face it, if there were a movie about her life, it would be a drama, but the writer's make it comedic.)
    I do have to agree, I think Rom-Coms /should/ be in the romance section, especially when the main focus is the relationship aspect, but that's all a matter of opinion.

To sum it all up, a story would have no real substance if it didn't include other genres. However, when that second/third/fourth drama overshadows the comedy aspect of the stories, they should be placed in the appropriate section. With this said, everybody has a different sense of humor. A person who is amused by sarcasm and irony would not be amused by silly antics by love interests vying to get a MC's attention. It's all up to the specific reader.

Comment

• Episode.RS
      Episode.RS commented
      Editing a comment
      I know that already but my point is if it isn't too comedy focused it shouldn't be classified as comedy, even mystery genre have romance, but still the mystery is the main genre, that's my point.

I am also upset that the Comedy section of the app is filled with stories, in which Comedy is not the main focus. Just because a story has a few funny scenes, doesn't make it comedy.

Comment

• Episode.RS
      Episode.RS commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly ! That's what I'm trying to say

I don't think the OP was necessarily talking about romcoms. I think they were referring to the stories where comedy is really a sub-genre (at best) but are put in the comedy genre in order to trend better. The mystery, action and thriller shelves also seem to be filled with stories which really don't belong in those genres. If the prime focus of your story isn't comedy, then don't put it in that genre (same goes for other genres, too). If comedy is a key focus of your plot, even if romance is as well, then it's probably fine.

Comment

I agree with this post. It feels like the trending and featured comedy stories on Episode have romance and focuses more on the romance than the comedy. I know comedy is hard to write, but if you intend to write one, you at least have to try to make it funny (without forcing it of course).

Comment

Agreed. I bet there are some hilarious comedy stories in the user section, but the featured stories in the comedy section are more just straight up romance - not even a romcom. I'm quite the romantic and love a little romance mixed into other genres that I read, but... the trending and featured stories on Episode are just so saturated with romance and love triangles that they're all a bit predictable now.

Does anyone have some laugh out loud user stories on Episode they'd recommend from the comedy section? I love a good comedy story.

Comment

• CaramelLatte19
          CaramelLatte19 commented
          Editing a comment
          You should read the Perfect Pitches winners. I was laughing so hard with them

• EliseC
          EliseC commented
          Editing a comment
          Basically anything by Kayla S (author of Infamous)

• Echo_D
          Echo_D commented
          Editing a comment
          I really love Curmudgeon by Kate Island. It's a complete story, a contest winner, and it has an ongoing sequel (The Curmudgeon Saga) that I love as well.

Some more stories... Can Love Strike? by Amanda Michele and A Wild Fire by Cub Fazley. They are very different but they all made me laugh!

It's mostly romance and drama without comedy because some writers think they would get more recognition by putting their story under "comedy" rather than romance since there are less comedy stories than romance stories. Same goes with mystery/thriller. Is it irritating? Yes. I wish episode would forcefully move the stories to the proper category
        Last edited by Little Potato; 12-28-2017, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• Episode.RS
          Episode.RS commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree, the episode team should do something about this, if the stories aren't classified in their right genre they should be moved.

I think it's because the romance section is too filled, so if the stories are in the comeny genre, they'll get more recorgicion.

Comment

• Episode.RS
          Episode.RS commented
          Editing a comment
          Well shouldn't Episode do something about it ?
      Working...
      X