Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things You WANT To See in an Episode Story

Hello all!

I'm in the process of writing my first Episode story, and I'm doing my best to try and make sure that it's unique, and different from the others. It may not become very popular because of that, but.. I'd rather have something that's not like the others, and something I'm passionate about, rather than a 'Pregnant by a Celebrity Billionaire Mafia Leader' story.

With all of that said, I'm trying to come up with some things for the story. I have most of it worked out so far, but I simply want to have some input from the community itself! (Something that the creators of the featured stories don't do, apparently.)

I know there are a few topics like this, but why not another of its own? So, go ahead! What are some things you want to see more of in Episode stories? And things that you're tired of seeing?

If your character wants a child they can adopt. Not because they have to, because they want to.

Comment

I suggest reading this post, it might help you! http://forums.episodeinteractive.com...s-need-to-know

Comment

I'd like to see a lesbian couple and not only that but for them to hold some sort of purpose to the story (even if they aren't the main characters)

Comment

• Chida
          Chida commented
          Editing a comment
          Title: My boyfriend's lesbian sister.
          Author: Chida.
          Genre: Romance.
          Description: Nora a Arabic Muslim girl, visits her boyfriend and sees his sister Casey kissing a girl, she gets intrigued and this is where a beautiful romance starts. But is everyone as happy with it as Nora?
          Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/4574721289093120
          Instagram: CherryMaxis

Title: Lesbian Catfish.
          Author: Chida.
          Genre: Romance.
          Description: You've fallen in love with a guy named Tyler, but is Tyler who he says he is? You'll find out soon enough. This story later on turns into a sequel of My boyfriend's lesbian sister.
          Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/6603570108039168
          Instagram: CherryMaxis

More male main characters! Oh, and the main character getting with the good guy. Not the jackass who calls her stupid and makes fun of her.

Comment

• Twilla
          Twilla commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed! I'm currently making a Spotlight story with a male protag, and honestly, there needs to be more of that on Episode. I wonder if guys ever get tired of playing female characters lol.

• thesoulpunk
          thesoulpunk commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually, the story I'm creating (the reason I asked for advice on this thread) has a male MC! Haha.

Twilla Am a trans guy, can confirm it's pretty weird. Especially when the MC's name is 'You,' or the story is in second person.

• Twilla
          Twilla commented
          Editing a comment
          thesoulpunk Haha, I can imagine. XD

Older characters like upper 20s, 30s and over as main characters. Its fun to sometimes go back and be nostalgic about high school but damn life goes on a lot longer than that. Frankly it gets more interesting too.

People who get pregnant by mistake choosing to adopt out a child. It worked for Juno. It just would be interesting to see a character make a choice other than keeping the baby for once.

Comedies or even stories that have more funny parts in them. So far the only story that has made me laugh out loud (which is rare. I tend to just smirk at things I find funny) was Back and Forth.

Have the main character choose the good guy for once or even end up single.

Comment

• xxAndreea
          xxAndreea commented
          Editing a comment
          The reason why there are so many high school stories is because the episode audience is mainly made of teenagers. And if you want good comedy, try some of Kayla Sloans stories!

• Blue.Jay
          Blue.Jay commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for the recomendation.

I am probably one of the oldest episode readers.

Main characters that don't cheat. I'm so tired of seeing girls that are in love with two guys at the same time and can't choose, or guys that have an affair with someone else while claiming to love the MC. Can't we have faithful leading characters for once?

Comment

1 word:

COOLDIRECTING!

I'm such a huge fan of authors that incorporate fancy directing. I know that, even if the plot is some cliche thing like pregnancy or gangs, the author put their heart and soul into the story by how well the directing is executed.
          I think I speak for most of the community when I say that buggy directing is such a turn off. Characters that aren't layered properly, characters facing the wrong way/being too far when hugging/kissing,
          I'm not saying you have to go through and directly place each speechbubble, just go through it before you publish and make sure the directing is nice and smooth.

Expanding on this, I love it when authors think of new ways to direct a scene/go the extra mile with the directing.

Another thing I want to see is realistic stories.
          Most stories on Episode are either incredibly unrealistic and unfathomable, or the entire story happens by a series of good luck. On the reverse side, there's the stories that only exist because of all of the bad luck the mc went through to shape who she is (it's kind of like the Gary Sue/Mary Sue situation). I'm not saying it has to all be down to Earth and whatnot, I'm just saying that it should at least be practical or possible.
          I mean, what are the actual odds that the cool leather wearing, hot guy that saved your life is actually a gang leader? In almost every survey year, law enforcement have reported that most gang members are adults (over 18). What sense would it make that a bunch of older men are listening to a 17-18 year old boy? About none.

^^^ For reference.

Another thing that I've seen a lot in Episode stories that isn't realistic is characters that only have martial arts/fighting/hacking/ANY skill when the spur of the moment comes. Even if it's supposed to be a plot twist, there are ways to refer that the character has had training in these areas without giving it away. *sigh*
          Last edited by catsharp53; 12-29-2017, 01:04 AM.

Comment

~Healthy relationships~

Dynamic characters who have distinct personalities and aren't just completely interchangeable, BUT ALSO (unless it's a satire or comedy), no cliche caricatures.

Less drama just for the sake of drama.

Choices with consequences (although not everyone has the time/patience to code those, so I guess I'm lax on this one).

Also, this one is entirely personal preference, but I like stories without major character customization/naming your own characters. Usually all that leads to is a bland MC with no personality who could be anyone. Hardly makes for an engaging story.

Also, on the topic of MC's, I'd love to see more memorable MC's. Not another "Hi, I'm Whitey McWhite Girl von Brunette Beach Wave Hair and I have no distinctive features or personality whatsoever!"

And lastly, I'm just so tired of all characters being white cisgender heterosexual middle class/rich people from nuclear families. That is not the world we live in, unless you're from some kind of discriminatory gated community or something. I know that people tend to gravitate towards folks who are similar to themselves so it wouldn't be unusual if the MC's family/friend group are all like them... but if you go to school or work in any way, that bubble is gonna burst. It should be the same in the world of literature.

Comment

• thesoulpunk
              thesoulpunk commented
              Editing a comment
              I can't agree with you more on 'Whitey McWhite Girl.' I'm all for writing your characters how you want them to be, white, straight, whatever the hell. Just have a little creativity when you make them! I'm tired of seeing uber pale white chicks with platinum blonde beach wave hair and thick lips that you couldn't get without injections.

• CaitlinRumble
              CaitlinRumble commented
              Editing a comment
              Same goes for the male characters (usually love interests). Yesterday in the trending section, three stories in a row, by different authors, had almost identical male characters on their covers... I half laughed, half cried.

More diversity- and the real type. People think that including an Asian character is diversity. It matters how they act. If you add an Asian character who's a nerd and unpopular, that's not including races, it's sterotypes. I would love to see black and Asian and other races portrayed in a story but with no sterotypes.

Comment

• Willowbean
              Willowbean commented
              Editing a comment
              Same make a character a character and not a mockery.

I agree with almost every comment. I would love to see a story that is realistic but interesting. Take out the mean girl whose sole purpose is to make sure you don't end up with her man. Love reading these suggestions. I'm working on a story that addresses most of these concerns! Cant wait for yall to read it

Comment

I am reading a lot and what I can tell, it doesn't really matter for me, what the plot is.
              The biggest issue I have is character personality. There are several types of MC that I hate, but the worst thing to do, is to create a person, that everyone around loves and adores, but he/she doesn't do anything to love him/her for. They don't work, they don't have hobbies, and all they do is shopping and making awkward meaningless conversations.
              Also, one thing that buggers me, is that girl falls in love with the boy almost instantly. Why bother yourself with showing what the love interest is like, his personality, when you can say he's hot, and that all that it takes to fall in love with. It's unrealistic in any way possible.
              When creating conversations try to make them, so they show some sort of personality of ones talking. Not just meaningless blah-blah.
              So I guess my advice would be - create interesting deep characters, create dialogues that will show their feelings, personality etc. And the story's plot will come out eventually. I hope it makes sense

Comment

• Willowbean
                Willowbean commented
                Editing a comment
                So much sense. Give them personality and intresting conversations aside from
                "hey"
                ."hi"
                "omg lets go shop"
                "Totes"

Ooh, what about a truly EVIL bad guy? Not someone you hear about vaguely like, they kicked a baby once and are a generically bad king/queen/friend/etc. but someone who ruins dreams, commands armies to burn villages, actively pikes people's heads and displays them on their castle/house. And kicks TWO babies.

Or um, stories in the fantasy section that I can actually stomach. Quit making repetitive and shallow werewolf or hybrid or "the MC turns 18 and gets a buncha hot guys coming after them because they're the bestest and most powerful of all." I want VARIETY!

Comment

1. I want more diverse characters across the board! Not just a "quirky 16-18 year old who falls in love with a gang leader" But scientists, athletes, doctors, ambitious students, activists, charity volunteers, warriors, characters that have COMPLEX TRAITS. No one is perfect and I'm tired of all of these stories having completely "likeable MCs", make them stubborn, terrible at communicating, shy, have anxiety, phobeas, something that gives the characters some depth and something us normal humans can relate to. Nothing is worse than not caring about the MC, becuase what's the point of reading if the characters are only two-dimensional? Some Episode Stories I found great were Runway Life by Kathryn S. and The Secret of Rain by Joseph Evans, they had characters that weren't obsessed with finding love but had their own lives to figure out. But recently the stories are just shockingly terrible, I mean do I even have to say it? My Teacher, My Gangster, lord have mercy! It's like Episode went in the opposite direction when it comes to Episode stories.

2. I want more ACCURATE stories. As a writer I work hard researching anything I need to make sure my details are as accurate as possible. It may take longer to publish but the quality is worth it. Especially since I have stories with medical aspects in them, the last thing I'd want is to be wrong in symptoms, survivability, or treatment. Some stories on Episode completely blow this out of the water, and I understand we all make mistakes, but if you're being paid put in some effort!

It's hard for me to find good stories that interest me in deep personalities and good directing, so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

Comment

• Isabelle Escalante
                  Isabelle Escalante commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I absolutely loved Runway Life and The Secret of Rain. Another good Episode original story is Confessions of a Teenage Detective. I want to see more Episode original stories like those, ones that make you want to continue reading another chapter even if you promised you'd only read one a day.

Stories that don't include choices. Now here's why. Every story on Episode has stories which include choices but what about the authors whose stories are just as good yet, they're overlooked because their stories don't include choices? Shouldn't these authors also, be given the opportunity to receive recognition as well. I think whether the story has choices, or not, that authors put in a lot of time, and dedication when it comes to writing. Some stories might not include choices until later on in the storyline whereas. if the author focused on real life experiences, then the story itself, may include limited choices, or probably no choices at all. People shouldn't be overlooking a story just because the story doesn't contain choices. Just because every other author on Episode has it in their story, doesn't mean another author has to do the same exact thing. The whole point in creating a story is to be original, creative, and to come up with your own story not to imitate, or be like everyone else, or to do what everyone else is doing. Also, people shouldn't be telling authors whose stories don't include choices where they should, or shouldn't publish their story. It's the writers choices to include choices in their stories, and It's also, their choice not to! I also hope in the near future, those wwhose ho stories don't contian choices, ate given some type of platform, or shelf. Should a author whose story is really good be forfeited, or overlooked due to them not having choices in this story, no it shouldn't!

Comment

Working...
                X