Announcement

Collapse

It's Time to Move! (Open Beta)

You read it right! We are pleased to announce that the new forums have progressed from Closed Beta to Open Beta and everyone is invited! You can now join us here and begin leaving us feedback here! Thanks to the entire Episode community for your awesome contributions and being part of the Episode Community fam! - The Episode Community Team
See more
See less

Let's Talk About . . . On Love! (Spotlight Winners)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Talk About . . . On Love! (Spotlight Winners)

'm happy to see that I am making an impact on this thread! I always see this thread as story sharing and recommending - No. NO NO NO. This is discussing stories not sharing. So I am going to post some 'Let's Talk About' where we can talk about some actual stories!
    • SPOTLIGHT : A SELKIE'S KISS by HumanBean HumanBean
    • Spotlight : BorderLine by Echo Dunkelstrom
    • Spotlight : Both Sides of Me by Unchartedraider
    • Spotlight : Maternal Insticts by Elise C EliseC
    • Spotlight : She & Her by Viola Musaraj
    • SPOTLIGHT : Compulsion by Sacha
    (Just random Ideas) What was your favorite? Which ones have you read so far? What stood out to you? Does the cover represent the story - or is it misleading? Plot Twisting? Do you Recommend? Would you reread? Was their multiple endings? Did you hate the ending? Is the story in the wrong genre? Will you read more? Is this pick disappointing? Do you wish they included a different story, or didn't have a story?

If you haven't read, why won't you be reading any of the stories? Is the genre - or not hooking enough for you?

Please Note : Authors do read this.
    Last edited by FallenAngelNight13; 02-09-2018, 12:10 PM.

I was really shook that Kay Elle didn't win lol

My only guess why is that it was more mystery focused than love focused?

Comment

• Himawari
      Himawari commented
      Editing a comment
      Btw, in the case of Sherlock in Love it may also have had to do with audience-compatibility, since (though I personally really loved it about the story) the language used was rather...high level and complicated. Not really something most thirteen year olds would read voluntarily (I'd imagine they'd have to read enough of that for English classes).

• EliseC
      EliseC commented
      Editing a comment
      Himawari I had similar thoughts about Sherlock in Love. I enjoyed it but the episodes were long and the language used was a lot more complex than a typical Episode story. I do think it may have struggled with the reader retention portion of the contest. There were times where I also struggled to get through it even though I liked it overall.

In terms of breaking guidelines, I've seen previous contest winners get warnings/suspensions just before the winners are announced. As long as they fix the mistakes, they still get on the shelf.

• HumanBean
      HumanBean commented
      Editing a comment
      I also thought it had to do with reader retention and not violations. Recently on contest entries if Episode sees anything guideline breaking they send you a message - and recently those who had violations in their stories have still become winners.

I adored Sherlock in Love - but three episodes took me near three hours to read. In my opinion the average Episode should be around ten minutes. To me those three episodes felt like the equivalent of at least 12 episodes. Other readers may have no finished the story on time. 😥

I've read and enjoyed them all. I think all the entries are really different!

Spotlight: A Selkie's Kiss This was short, quick and enjoyable read. There were so many twists! I was a bit confused at first but it's one that kept me thinking afterwards. This story is complete.

Spotlight: Borderline This is more of a game than a story and the amount of time and effort put into that branching is insane! I had a lot of fun and ended up saving the boyfriend. I'll definitely be replaying and choosing a different soul next time. This story is complete and has multiple endings.

Spotlight: Both Sides of Me I enjoyed this. It's light and fun. I can see it being very popular. Reminds me a little bit of A Cinderella Story where Hillary Duff's character is talking to the popular boy online and doesn't realise it's him.

Spotlight: She & Her This is an LGBT entry. It's very well done. I really enjoyed it. The story isn't complete yet and I can't wait to see where the author goes with it.

Spotlight: Compulsion I love this story! It has so many twists. I really want to know what's going on and I can't wait for more episodes.

Spotlight: Maternal Instincts is mine It focuses on maternal love NOT romantic love =). Story is not complete but will have multiple endings.

Other contest entries that I really enjoyed:
    Spotlight: The Emperor's Bodyguard
    Spotlight: Valentine's Redemption
    Spotlight: Jellyfished

Comment

• allyy20
      allyy20 commented
      Editing a comment
      EliseC Maternal Insticts is one of the best stories ever made(in my opinion)! If you ever need a proofreader, please let me know! I'd love to help you proofread your stories. Hit & Run is also amazing, I loved that.

• EliseC
      EliseC commented
      Editing a comment
      allyy20 Thank you so much!!!! OK thanks =) I don't normally show anyone my stuff before I publish (although I probably should since I realised just a few days ago that I spelt my IG username wrong at the end of every episode lol) but if I change my mind I'll let you know =D

• allyy20
      allyy20 commented
      Editing a comment
      EliseC No problem! Just let me know!

These are all my own opinions.

Spotlight: Maternal Instincts
    I loooove I mean LOVED this story and I can't wait for more chapters. It's very engaging with the audience and let's you earn survival points and rescue points depending on your choices. I'm actually sad that there isn't another chapter right now cause OMG WHAT IS AIDEN GOING TO DO TO VEE.

Spotlight: Borderline
    This one was super fun. Your choices DEFINITELY mattered and you couldn't willy nilly do things. I played through it once and was super lucky to have chosen the character actual soulmate. I plan to replay and see who else I can bring back.

Spotlight: She&Her
    I think it was a cute LGBT+ story. It was cliche in the sense of good girl bad boy although it was good girl bad girl and the bad girl of course was more then she appeared. So it did keep me entertained and I liked the point system which unlocked outfits/dialogue depending on relationship points.

Spotlight: A Selkie's Kiss
    This one, although amazing with directing, made me seriously confused. Everytime I thought I was just about to understand it would then confuse me again. I did like the fact the author included words from another culture and would explain what they meant so I know that they knew what they were talking about. I think I kept reading to just make sense of the story.

Spotlight: Both Sides of Me
    I think it was a cute story. It reminded me of the Mystery episode story Game of Life (forgot author). In the aspect of the online world. It definitely makes me think of a Hallmark movie. Now don't get me wrong, Hallmark movies are cute and wonderful in their own way. (I myself am hooked on a Hallmark tv show) however I feel like the author can (and hopefully will) delve more into the online realm of things. But all in all it was still a good story.

Spotlight: Compulsion
    This story made me cringe. I know every author makes the story however they want and yes the author was good with details; however, this story made me cringe with how the love interests were made. Her husband (which was claimed that she loved very much) seemed to be just an extra thought as the detective and suspect should no self control with each other. The love then made no sense and seemed more animalistic. I can understand love at the beginning of a story IF it makes sense and this love....didn't make sense. Out of all the stories, this is the only one I wouldn't recommend.
    Last edited by CaramelLatte19; 02-11-2018, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• HumanBean
      HumanBean commented
      Editing a comment
      CaramelLatte19 did you ever make sense of it? I honestly did not enjoy my end product but published anyway. I hoped I managed to tie it up nicely by the end. I sort of felt like I gave the whole thing away by naming the villian Orca right after the MC gets attacked by an orca. This is one of my few stories I did not manage to get any feedback on before publishing 🙈

• CaramelLatte19
      CaramelLatte19 commented
      Editing a comment
      HumanBean yes at the very end I was able to understand what was going on. I do feel the story was good all in all and if you ever feel like it, it has the potential to maybe be redone to take up the span of 10 episodes at least. I think if you're able to extend the episodes you'll probably be happier with the end product.

• HumanBean
      HumanBean commented
      Editing a comment
      CaramelLatte19 I'm happy you understood it in the end! I'm happy with the story as it is. I simply felt it didn't feel live up to my story boards, which included four chapters, but I am happy with it and I do not see myself touching the story again. Thank you again for your honest feedback as it is rare to find it!

I forgot the exclamation point emoji . . . my life is over . . .

Comment

Working...
    X