Announcement

Collapse

It's Time to Move! (Open Beta)

You read it right! We are pleased to announce that the new forums have progressed from Closed Beta to Open Beta and everyone is invited! You can now join us here and begin leaving us feedback here! Thanks to the entire Episode community for your awesome contributions and being part of the Episode Community fam! - The Episode Community Team
See more
See less

Looking for opinions on choice selection!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for opinions on choice selection!

Hey everyone,

I'm currently writing a story and whilst planning it out I became stuck deciding if I wanted the choices to make a difference to the story e.t.c

So I was hoping to get some opinions on what is most preferred!

A vote and an explanation why would be much appreciated

Every choice matters!
    8.00%
    Some choices matter, others don't
    68.00%
    Choices don't matter but are used as reference in the future
    12.00%
    Choices don't make a difference to the story
    12.00%

I think it is good to have some choices matter and some not.
    It will make the reader feel very involved with the story without you having to do a lot branching and flags at every choice.

Comment

• Cricket Master
      Cricket Master commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it would attract some attention if you advertised on the forums that choices mattered.

• Perplexed Jam
      Perplexed Jam commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll do that once it's finally finished and published, thank you very much!

• Cricket Master
      Cricket Master commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad I could be of use.
      I hope to read your story when it's published.

If you have the time, patience and coding skills to make all choices matter in some way, it definitely makes for a dynamic and engaging story!
    But it’s a lot of work, as the poster above said, and easier to mess up coding (and harder to find when you’ve messed up when you’re proof reading).
    Also, it can get kind of draining as a reader if you know there’s pressure riding on you to make the right choice every time an option pops up.

So usually a mix of choices with minor impact (getting a few different lines of dialogue depending on your answer, choosing an outfit, etc.), medium impact (gaining relationship points with a character) and major impact (something that decides whether you unlock an extra scene or not, or something that changes the ending of the story) is a good bet.

I will admit to sometimes including choices that change absolutely nothing about my story when I feel it’s been too long since I last had a choice in the script. As long as all my choices aren’t like that, I don’t really think there’s a problem with it🙂
    Last edited by CaitlinRumble; 02-13-2018, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• Perplexed Jam
      Perplexed Jam commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the feedback

I've familiarised myself with the point system and gains e.t.c but I don't think I'm going to go through the monstrous effort of making every choice matter. I think I might have, had I been writing a shorter story but because the story I'm planning is going to (hopefully) be at least 20 episodes long, I'm sure I would somewhere along the way confuse myself of get lost!

Based on the overall poll results, I'm going to go with making some choices matter and some that don't. I'll probably throw a couple of major impact choices in here and there too.

• CaitlinRumble
      CaitlinRumble commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds like the best balance, and I think it’s what the majority of people tend to do when they make choices matter, so I think you’re in good company.
Working...
X