Announcement

Collapse

IMPORTANT TWR ANNOUNCEMENT

**~~ANNOUNCEMENT!~~** All The Writers' Room members please check the TWR forums for an important new thread! Your feedback is wanted for this exciting announcement & thanks for being part of the team! - JB
See more
See less

What I hate in a story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not gonna lie, I'm totally using the stuff listed here as inspiration for the parody story I'm writing....lol.

Comment

• line123462
      line123462 commented
      Editing a comment
      kinda thought the same

• Mia_Tumblr
      Mia_Tumblr commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol I read this stuff and it was totally like my story..and I was like, "Welp.. too late!" Lmao

Reading all of these makes me a bit embarrassed about my story! Gah!

Comment

Originally posted by isa_efron View Post
      1)What I really hate on stories? Cliches!! I hate them! And I'll mention some cliche type of stories or scenes:
      - The bland bad boy stories.... Like no. Have you guys ever seen a highschool nerd going out with a bad boy? Me neither. So just stop this.

- Boy moves in with girl/girl's family. No, That doesn't happen either. As a highschool girl if a boy moved in with me my parents would freak out and slay the guy to Syria. And they would never accept some random boy to come live with the family. Like "Oh hello hot stranger, do you want to come live with us and our 16 year old daughter?" He be like "Ooh yeah cool because I don't have a family back home so I'll just move in with you and maybe in two weeks I might be your son-in-law". And if the girl is grown.... She would be mature, and not accept a stranger in her house for no reason.

- Teen moms. I find 172397892378 of these stories and they seem very similar with each other.

- A thousand of guys instantly fall in love with the main character. Ok keeping the love interests open is good, but having 21779 guys to fall for her in two seconds? That's far away from realism. Like bitch I can't even get a single boy to like me and the main character just gets like 10 guys following her around and confessing their undying love for the main character....

- Nerd makeovers. Wow. This gives such a strong message. "If you are a nerd nobody will fall for you but if you have a makeover from your friend, ten guys will instantly" And please don't even get me started on the storylines.

- The scene where guy walks in to the girl dressing. You know, there's something called key that these people haven't heard about I guess. I think I speak for 3/4 of girls when I say that I lock my door while dressing or showering.

- When girls have bad manners they always blame the abusive parents. A: "I F**KING WANT A SANDWICH IS THIS TOO MUCH TO ASK???" B: "No but why do you shout?" A: *troll face* "Abusive parents"

- Stereotypes. The blonde is either the bitch or the dumb friend. The black girls are usually the snappy, insulting friend. and nerd girl, they have glasses and dress badly. My best friend is a nerd and she is the most stylish person I've ever seen. I'm a blonde and I'm not dumb, neither mean. And my friend Lakeisha who is black, she is not a snappy retorting girl! Deal with it episode!! Whenever I read these stories I'm like: Why?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_4708_1457089335832_239[/ATTACH]

- Bumping into a guy on the hall and immediately falling for him. No comment

- 13 year old girls making a 50 Shades Of Grey novel inside their story.... I think you need to have experience in order to write something like that. And when I see this thing happening I'm like: Ummm Wuuut?

- Stories who disgust me, only 3 episodes, featuring only mature effing scenes. And yes we all need to report these stories and after I report them I'm there like:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]n938349[/ATTACH]

2) How to improve your stories. Think of something original, maybe inspired from real life events. Before writing it think: Can this thing happen in real life? (Unless a fantasy story.)
      Pleaaaaseee check your grammar!! I mean it's ok to have a few mistakes but I usually see major mistakes. Here is an English lesson for anyone who can't tell the difference between YOUR and YOU'RE
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]n938350[/ATTACH]

Please avoid cliches. Also don't force the flow of the events. Let the story flow naturally by itself and try to make everything as clear as possible.

3) I have a lot of favorite stories actually:
      School Spirit
      Family Affairs
      Don't Sleep
      Peyton Rose
      Wasted Roses
      Dripping Mascara
      The art of seduction
      Stairway to Heaven
      Campfire
      Colorless Reality
      Tricks of Traps
      Secret Santa
      Along Came Lucas
      Not Being Normal
      Issues
      A touch of rain
      A perfect place
      Loving Desires (aka Started with a dog)
      My stupid high school drama
      Lovestruck
      And some more that I probably forgot to mentionXD
      And trust me I've read many moreXD

SORRY FOR THE LONG ASS POST SO HERE IS A POTATO[ATTACH=CONFIG]n938351[/ATTACH]

Ur hilarious

Comment

Thanks for liking my post

Comment

1. Poor grammar will ALWAYS stop me from reading a story, and I'm not just talking about your typical there/their/they're mix ups, either. I have read too many stories that are highly prized within the community, where the author uses sentences that simply don't make sense! I've said this before on other threads, but synonyms are not always 100% interchangeable, and sometimes trying to use "big words" can actually dumb down your story if they are misused.

2. If you don't understand the vocabulary you're using, DON'T USE IT! I will be going on a thesaurus-confiscating rampage very soon.

3. I have to credit Gen for both her stories, as many have already done. I am so obsessed with Dripping Mascara that when my app accidentally reset, it was the only story over 30 chapters that I bothered to catch up on. I also love Ross's World On A String and I think Kay Elle's Solidus: Unity was my favourite short I have ever read.

Comment

• GenevieveM
            GenevieveM commented
            Editing a comment
            Aw Michelle, thank you so much!!! I am so honored to hear that! I feel badly that you had to do that but am really, really touched to know that! I am super glad you enjoyed those other stories as well -- WOAS is my absolute favorite story of all time! Kay Elle is so amazing, too!

Hi KitKatKirsten! I just wanted to thank you for mentioning my story "Eucatastrophe"! I'm SO glad you are enjoying it!💕😘

Comment

1. when stories change their plot mid story

2. I am not saying your story can't have any plot twists but I am saying you can't just write story and after thirty episodes of a romance story the MC magically gets superpowers and finds her dead father who is actually alive in mars or have a vampire boyfriend. You can't just add that if . You didn't know it was going to when you created the story and if you choose for that to happen then place it in the first three episodes.

1. Kidnapping romance stories.

2. What the actual bloody hell seriously reality check in real life you don't get / kidnapped and fall in love with your kidnappers even if they are hot your supposed to hate them not effing go all the way with them ESPECIALLY not without a censor bar seriously p.s. all those stories are mostly rape and sorry to lay this on you but rape isn't entertaining

3.Soulbound. Dripping mascara. And Power Girl

Comment

• GenevieveM
              GenevieveM commented
              Editing a comment
              Preach to both of your points!! I often wonder if my introduction of magic was clumsy, but I think I had a few teasers that tied it all together eventually So glad to know that you enjoy my story! Thank you so much!

Originally posted by Superhero View Post
            1. Kidnapping romance stories.

2. What the actual bloody hell seriously reality check in real life you don't get / kidnapped and fall in love with your kidnappers even if they are hot your supposed to hate them not effing go all the way with them ESPECIALLY not without a censor bar seriously p.s. all those stories are mostly rape and sorry to lay this on you but rape isn't entertaining
            I think this is what a lot of authors are trying to get at with their plight to have Episode maintain the guidelines more strictly. I believe a lot of these people who are writing and reading rape/abduction romances aren't mature enough to realize what these acts actually entail in real life, or what victims and survivors ACTUALLY go through. In a way, I'd like to think it's good to have some innocence on those topics when you're really young, considering how horrific they can actually become. But when stories are written about rape and kidnapping in this way, it perpetuates the WRONG idea. I don't want to be the one to have to explain to young people how lives are ruined and ended because of sexual assault, or how prominent it actually is in our society (I believe the current statistic is 1 in 3 women will experience it in some form during their lifetime). These aren't romance stories, they're horror stories.

Comment

• GenevieveM
              GenevieveM commented
              Editing a comment
              Preach!!!!!!!

Originally posted by MissDelaney View Post

I think this is what a lot of authors are trying to get at with their plight to have Episode maintain the guidelines more strictly. I believe a lot of these people who are writing and reading rape/abduction romances aren't mature enough to realize what these acts actually entail in real life, or what victims and survivors ACTUALLY go through. In a way, I'd like to think it's good to have some innocence on those topics when you're really young, considering how horrific they can actually become. But when stories are written about rape and kidnapping in this way, it perpetuates the WRONG idea. I don't want to be the one to have to explain to young people how lives are ruined and ended because of sexual assault, or how prominent it actually is in our society (I believe the current statistic is 1 in 3 women will experience it in some form during their lifetime). These aren't romance stories, they're horror stories.

I completely agree. The authors of stories like this give their character Mary sues and portray the characters as actually enjoying the sexual assault mainly because the antagonist is "sexy" if you want to find someone go to an online dating website don't stay because your accuser wants sex you get yourself the hell outta there. BUMPING DIS UP

Comment

Well I may just have to rant about a lot of things here but I think its extremely necessary.

1. Pregnancy stories: I think almost every sane person who uses episode absolutely detests these naive and irritating pregnancy stories. Whats worse? They overshadow the actual good stories, in the popular section. Like seriously? Pregnant with my teachers child, pregnant with my kidnappers child and what not. Stockholm syndrome, pedophilia and everything wrong becomes popular on the app.
              2. Hi I am the MC and I am just going to blabber about my life: That is the worst beginning one can have. There are a lot of overused introductions for a story but this one is the most absurd out of those. If you are actually taking effort to write a story on episode then at least make it worth retaining audience attention. Show things over making us read about what happened.
              3. Bad boy stories: I am actually upset with episode for this. So many stories in the featured section are about how a girl falls for a bad boy. Really? How close to reality is that? Not even remotely close to it. I mean I would never be attracted to a chain smoker drunkard with zero regard for rules and sleeping with almost every girl he knows. Why cant we have respectable characters who actually make us want them in reality?
              4. Super long stories: So this is a very important thing I want to say. I read a lot of people posting about how dripping mascara is a great story. I am sure it is. And I really want to read it too. But it is sooooo long. Almost around 130 episodes. When you get only 4 passes in every 4 hours, reading such a long story can really not want you to start it at the first place. I hope episode makes it a featured story on the app and the author condenses it so that I don't have to wait for an eternity to complete the story. Also I am not a fan of the classic format because the characters look very unreal to me but still a great story is a great story. I really appreciate stories which are around 12-30 chapters long. 35 maximum. But beyond that it just feels like the story is being unnecessarily stretched.
              5. Aimless MCs: So you are writing a romance story? Great. Its about how a girl falls for the guy she has always loved? Good for you. But why does a 20 year old girl have her life revolving around the guy. Why does she not want to be a doctor or an artist or a journalist or a cop or an engineer or a politician. Why does she let herself be the shadow of the male character. Why cant it be the other way round? Why cant they both be ambitious? Most characters I see are shown to get married at 20. When I was 20 all I wanted was to get into the best school for my course. And I am sure most of us want that, don't we?
              6. Lack of story development: A lot of stories which I have read have people making love like immediately. Whoa whoa stop right there. Romance is a beautiful genre only when the story develops at a good pace. You just dont want them to get down and dirty right after they meet. Its really sick.

Episode is a great app. I love using it when I am not doing anything. Being a writer myself I know how much effort does it take to write a good, gripping story. But if you are taking pains to pen down a story then why not make it worth your time. These are really basic things that one should take care of. I am not saying I have written a great story. I have tried writing a story which does not have high school kids lobbying around looking for their next "friend with benefit". Its way more mature than most of the stories on the app. And I wont even mind if it gets less reads than the cliche' ones. But I will at least be satisfied for not producing shit that I don't like, just because it sells.
              Last edited by Miara Roosevelt; 10-27-2017, 08:21 PM.

Comment

• Mia Turner
                Mia Turner commented
                Editing a comment
                I totally agree. Although Dripping Mascara's chapter are pretty long so they are definitely worth the passes but the story is split into a few seasons hense why it is so long and every single chapter written is important to the story I reckon (so don't be turned off because it is an amazing story worth reading and I hope it gets turned into a novel).

• Miara Roosevelt
                Miara Roosevelt commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh I will definitely read it in that case. Thanks though!

• line123462
                line123462 commented
                Editing a comment
                the second. I have had lots of complaints about I did not tell anything about my mc from the start. I thought better to let people learn along the way. and the rest actually don't apply to my story (as in no pregnancy. no love story. there is a bad boy but he is not a love interest )

1) Cliche stories. There are SO many stories about unplanned pregnancies (especially when it turns out to be twins), gangs, love triangles, bad boys turning good, nerd makeovers, etc. I admit there are a few good ones, but if a title is "Pregnant by...." I automatically am less inclined to even give it a try. I don't want to read the same plot line over and over again, even if it is a "little" different.
              2) Try to come up with something unique. There are several outlets that give story prompts. Episode competitions, Instagram groups, etc.

1) Unrealistic plotlines in stories that are supposed to be "realistic." OMG!! I just took a pregnancy test and it says I'm 4 months pregnant!!! Yes, there are now pregnancy tests that can determine how long you may have been pregnant, but it is measured in "1-2 weeks" "2-3 weeks" or "more than 4 weeks."
              2) DO YOUR RESEARCH. If you are unfamiliar with a topic, either google it... or ask someone who has knowledge in that area.

1) Already posted several times, but grammar!
              2. I don't mind the slang if it is spelled out. I like it when the characters speak naturally, but if they are going to say "OMG", have it be O. M G!!

3. My absolute favorite story is "Speak" by J. Miley

This story is so raw and so real, it leaves you in tears. She is a newer author and hasn't received a lot of attention, but this story is going somewhere. And chatting with her on Instagram, you can tell how connected she is to this story. This story is absolutely amazing! When I found it, I binge read it in 24 hours and now impatiently await new episodes (which are usually published 1-2 times a week... don't know how she does it!)

Comment

1. I don't like stories with stereotypes, as in sweet poor girl falls for hot rich guy, and the main villain is rich, blonde, snobby, and hates the poor girl because in the first episode, she accidentally spilled her soda all over the rich girl's $1,000 blouse.

2. Suggestions: There are many ways to avoid this stereotype. The rival and the main character can come from the same socioeconomic background for once. The "mean girl " doesn't always have to be the most beautiful girl in school. She might be plain-looking but very clever and manipulative.

3. My favorite stories on Episode are Dripping Mascara and The Secret of Rain.

Comment

this is more to the reader than to writers
                  1: complain over spelling . some of us are not natural English. and some who are actually dyslexia.
                  2: stop complain over every single little speel mistake or wrong places dot
                  3: vacation nightmare

Comment

This is totally the place I have been looking for to do a little rant...

1. Bad spelling; yes I know most people live outside of English speaking countries, so do I. My English skills are not perfect but whenever I'm working on my story, I use Google translator or my WRITING PARTNER. I started reading 'Babysitting the Bad Boy' a while ago and just got back to it, noticing how bad the language is. I admire people like us, from other countries, writing stories for everyone and really putting their heart into it, no matter if it's a cliche story, most people are still working hard but please, check your grammar. The story line can be as amazing as it can be but bad English simply makes it less enjoyable.
                    2. Get yourself a writing partner in the forum if your English needs a little grammar check, so many people here are very friendly and willing to help other people. All you'll have to do is ask and your story will be so much better.

1. CC in the beginning of the first Episode; I love the fact that some authors leave the looks of our characters up to us - but not in the beginning of the first Episode. How am I supposed to change the looks of someone without knowing them, ''make him look hot, ps the other one is hotter'' doesn't really tell me anything about how I want my characters to look.
                    2. Leave your characters the way you originally wanted them to look like or simply place the CC in Episode 5 or later. Or give us another chance to change the looks in later Episodes.

1. Pregnancy; and this is something that I personally do not have any number 2 to and I have no idea what exactly it is but whenever the main character gets pregnant in Episode 20 or something, I get bored as hell in most stories. I feel like I expected a lot more, if you get what I mean? I didn't really get a chance to get to know most of the characters and we're already talking pregnancy without even having a real feeling for the story. Just my personal opinion, it's not like I'm having a problem with it in every story I've read. It can be unexpected but not like, one morning we're throwing up and two minutes of reading later we're 3 months pregnant?

1. Abuse/Rape; now, I know this is a very popular theme on Episode and used in a lot of stories. As someone who's actually lived through these things multiple times, I actually read the stories whenever I see someone talk about a story that contains rape. It's disgusting to make the main character fall in love with their kidnapper or the person who's raped them. You can't make a story about rape if you haven't experienced it yourself, I mean, how can you picture a story about being a lawyer if you know nothing about it? Right, not at all. I know some people have sexual fantasies about having unwanted sex, it's fine, do your thing, but always remember we have younger readers and they're getting affected.
                    2. Simply D O N T!!! Can't stress it enough.

1. Repeating cliches; I have nothing about the main idea. The bad boys, the pregnancy stories, vampires, whatever. But if you're planning on writing a story like this, make it something special. Nobody wants to see another Deep Attraction or Chain Reaction. Make it unique in it's own way, I have seen a lot of great Bad Boy stories, not giving them a chance because they're "cliche" is stupid, everything is becoming a cliche some time, you can't always have an idea that wasn't used before. But do not write another ''The gang leader'', ''My mafia gang leader'', ''The gang'' story, it's boring.
                    2. Put some time into your story idea, you shouldn't be sitting there, reading a gang story like ''Wow, I'm going to do the same!!'', be unique. It takes time.

3. Adrenaline.

Comment

• imanrowe
                      imanrowe commented
                      Editing a comment
                      why don't you like adrenaline?

• brittany byrd
                      brittany byrd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      imanrowe no, number 3 is a story that you like!

• imanrowe
                      imanrowe commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ohhhh lmaooo my bad

1 i hate it the most that in most of the story's that i read there's always a 'mean girl' that hates the mc for nothing. The mean girl comes to the mc like don't look at that guy or or speak to that guy because he's mine!
                    2 give the mean girl a real reason to be mean at the mc or let the mc first meet the guy and talk to the guy it's all about before the mean girl comes snapping at the mc.
                    3 my favorite story's on episode is:
                    -chain reaction
                    -deep attraction
                    -it's just an illusion
                    -the wolf within
                    -wanderer

Comment

Working...
                    X