Announcement

Collapse

IMPORTANT TWR ANNOUNCEMENT

**~~ANNOUNCEMENT!~~** All The Writers' Room members please check the TWR forums for an important new thread! Your feedback is wanted for this exciting announcement & thanks for being part of the team! - JB
See more
See less

Publish Your Stories Straight To The App!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Publish Your Stories Straight To The App!

Hey Guys,

You may have noticed that your story pages look a little different on the website. We're slowly rolling out a new feature that will allow you to publish your story right to our app - entirely skipping our old submissions process.
    While all of you can see this on the website, we are opening the actual new "User Section" on the app slowly over time, so we can monitor responses and adjust as we go. So you may not see it on your app for a little while.
    This does mean that, in that section, there may be a lot of low quality work, but we think there will be some great gems, too. We'll be sorting stories based on their retention and readership at a given time, so the best stories should regularly be rising to the top. We like this idea as it empowers all the awesome writers on this forum and in the wider community to get their work out to more people.
    We know there are some things missing at this time (search, especially). Don't worry, they are in the plan, but we wanted to get something out get responses so we'd know how to adapt and grow. I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys think as you get access to it!

Here are some questions and pointers we think may come up:

------------------------------------------------------

How do I publish a story to the app?

You can publish a story to the app by tapping the publish button as soon as your story meets the minimum requirements:
    • Your story must be at least 3 episodes long.
    • Each episode must have at least 400 lines of dialogue to publish.
    • All episodes must be error free.

How do I update my published story on the app?

You can update your story once all of your episodes are error-free. Remember, when you update, all of your episodes will be live on the app!

Where can I find my story on the app?

Published stories are readable in the "Trending" section of User Stories. To help players find the best stories, we'll be ranking them by how much they are read.
    Currently, the "Trending" section is in beta and only available for some iOS users. This section is coming soon for all iOS users and on Android!

How do I improve my story's ranking on the app?

• Keep sharing your story to get new fans!
    • Write awesome episodes that your fans want to read and share!
    • Add new episodes so fans can have more to look forward to!

Does this mean that you guys are going to be creating icons for every story now? And what do you mean by "error"? Do you mean directing errors or spelling errors? I hope it's just directing errors, haha... If I have a spelling error, it's either because of the underscores or because I wanted my character to be more modern and say something like "coolio."

Comment

• Cass
      Cass commented
      Editing a comment
      Good questions! This is just directing errors.

For now - since this is a brand new feature and we are worried about the type of content we will get - we are just using template genre icons, so we make sure we don't get a ton of inappropriate images. For the forum, I know that sucks because you guys are awesome and make safe wonderful art. But you guys are like maybe 10% of our total submissions...so we need to keep an eye on things first.

o.o ughh errors appear everywhere...theyre like tiny invaders

Comment

The dimensions of the story card images in that screenshot looks different from the current one... how will our current story card images look? Are they cropped, rotated, or is it going to be changed to something else?

Comment

• WL.
        WL. commented
        Editing a comment
        One other thing: It seems that all stories are now automatically "shared" - they all have a link.

Does this mean we can now delete a story even after its link has been shared? Or do you guys keep track and remove the option to delete the story once it's detected that someone has opened the story through a link? I noticed it is still not possible to delete the old stories that have been previously shared.

• Cass
        Cass commented
        Editing a comment
        For now, we're actually going to be replacing your story card images (for now) with generic genre images when they go live (make sure you have backed up your images, but Im checking to see where they are going for now.)

Essentially, we know you guys are awesome and we trust you with images, but you guys are like 10% of our submissions, so for now we need to see what kind of stories are being uploaded, then we'll think about how to let people upload images.

• gracemjryu
        gracemjryu commented
        Editing a comment
        I dont have the feature like this! I have the user trending story thingie but it's not shown like the pictures of the posts above! I don't have this feature when can I get it??😭😭😭😭😭πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯😒😰

This seems really cool! It will be easier finding good user stories there than searching on the forums for good ones. I just have one question: will people have to use tickets to read these stories, or will it be like the shared where you don't have to?

Comment

• Cass
        Cass commented
        Editing a comment
        Can you take a screenshot and show me? It should be the "Publish" button in the upper right that you are pushing to actually publish your story. The bar at the bottom is just info about sharing.

• Low
        Low commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, ok. I see what you mean, now. Sorry about that The locationing of everything was just confusing me a bit, but it makes sense now, thanks!

• Cass
        Cass commented
        Editing a comment
        Its good to know it was confusing. If we see that coming up a lot we'll look at changing it to make it more clear.

Does a happy dance! I just published Modern Myth, so please let me know if/when you all see it on the app. I probably will never see it with my Android! LOL

Comment

• JudeLB
        JudeLB commented
        Editing a comment
        HTC MyTouch Slide 4G.

Everything is so tiny, even when I view the story. I can see the images perfectly clearly, but the font is tiny! It's like it thinks my phone is a tablet.
        Last edited by JudeLB; 11-21-2014, 11:07 AM.

• Cass
        Cass commented
        Editing a comment
        Huh. It might. That's a phone we just don't test on as it's not commonly used. The challenge with Android is that there are hundreds of phones that use it, so we just cant test on all of them.

• JudeLB
        JudeLB commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, at least it works. Better than my old phone which didn't get any updates.

I think this is a great opportunity for everyone who has written a story but somehow didn't get published (perhaps due to wrong timing, minor errors, or just because you were too busy reviewing all the other submissions). Now the readers themselves actually get to "judge" and decide what they like. This is absolutely a great idea and way easier for all the reviewers out here!

Comment

I love this! Finally ! But then the only thing is, all the covers in my friends' published section are completely wiped out. How do we put covers on the stories now? Just wondering.

Comment

• Cass
          Cass commented
          Editing a comment
          Update to this - because we don't know what kind of images (IE: innapropriate) people may upload, we are replacing them on the app itself with generic genre icons for now. Your art is still on the server (you should see it on the website under the icon page) but it will not show up on the app.

In the future, we do want to think about ways to fix this in a scalable way, so people we trust with a good track record can upload their own art, while we do not allow it for new users, or something like that.

• Gaby D.
          Gaby D. commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh okay. Got it.

• Gaby D.
          Gaby D. commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh okay. Got it.

This is great, but I was about to publish Geek Elite, when the button appeared grey, like it did after I submitted it for publication.

Comment

• Cass
          Cass commented
          Editing a comment
          Can you clarify this a bit? Maybe you have a directing error in one of the episodes? Or one of the episodes is too short? If you tap the button, what happens?

It also may be great because you did submit it and you have made no updates since then, so it realizes you don't need to change. Is that the case? If so, we should definitely make that more clear.

These are already great notes and questions, and a big help. For some of these, I need to ask the team, but here are some answers:
        1) The dimensions for card art are the same. That screencap is probably pre-implementation.
        2) This is a little confusing, we will try to make it easier in the future: If you share your story before you publish it (using that link), then every time you save without errors, it will update for those friends who have it. Once you publish it, it will lock in that version for friends and fans alike and only update when you tap the "update" button.
        3) It does sound like this new version messed up our Delete functionality a bit, but the devs are taking a look at it now and we'll bring it back soon (how soon depends on how complicated the bug is - could be in the next day or two, could take a week or two. I'll keep you posted).
        4) Art. For now, we're putting generic genre images on every story, because we are very concerned about inappropriate images being uploaded by some writers (not you guys.) Let me talk with the team and see if we can move forward on some ideas or plans to let you guys get your art back up there. I know how awesome it is to have the forum making art for one anothers' stories. In the meantime, we have NOT deleted any of your art or work - you should even still see it on the portal if you click that icon. You just won't see it on the app.

I'll hop into other specific questions with comments. Keep 'em coming!
        Last edited by Cass; 11-21-2014, 11:28 AM. Reason: Talked to devs and got new info, wanted to update.

Comment

This is so exciting! I have the new Trending Section on my phone and I can't wait to populate it with my favorite stories! And I hope folks favorite mine too

And I understand about the cover art -- I'm bummed because I made my own and I love it and it's really attractive, but I totally understand. Can't wait to see the app explode with great stories!!

Comment

• GenevieveM
            GenevieveM commented
            Editing a comment
            No! I only see mine (Dripping Mascara)... it's got this number with it too. 13 reads, #17. Not sure why I only see my story... I must not have gotten the full update.

• nals
            nals commented
            Editing a comment
            What iOS do you have? I have 8.1.1, but the update for me only added little Santa hats on the app's image.

• Cass
            Cass commented
            Editing a comment
            Glad you see it! THis is a feature we are slowly rolling out, so even with the new update you may not see it now. We want to make sure it works well before releasing it to everyone.

It's odd that you do not see more stories. When you tap "User Stories" and then "Trending" can you take a screenshot of what you see?

Well I still haven't got the update for real hollywood or anything so I probably won't get this until months after everyone else. I wish you guys would fix that, because it isn't far for someone to get an update faster because they have an apple divice.

Comment

• JudeLB
            JudeLB commented
            Editing a comment
            You say that Cass has stated on more than one occasion that the majority of the Episode users are iPhone. I'm saying that maybe the reason for that is they don't update the Android as often. So people try it, get disgusted at the lack of stories/updates and uninstall it. Like Cassie377, she has never seen an update. Most likely because she is on a phone that will never get it, like my old phone was. My new one looks crappy with the updated app, but at least I can see the updated app. Though I have yet to get any of the new stories due to the update taking so long. Cass also said that it's usually only a week or two behind the iPhone, but that is obviously not true. How long ago did the winner of the Halloween contest get put on the app? Well, it's still not showing up on my app, and that is at least 3 weeks. That is what I was talking about.

• cassie377
            cassie377 commented
            Editing a comment
            I actually just got the update with the phoenix phrophecy, but I totally get where you're coming from. People with androids could just not want to play anymore because they see everyone talking about the updates that they dont get till months later. And that's probably why the majority of users are apple users. Its not because apple is better cuz android is really improving. And now I'm ranting about android and apple which has nothing to do with this convo haha Now you see how fusturated I get lol.
            Last edited by cassie377; 11-22-2014, 10:01 PM.

• Caylie Moore
            Caylie Moore commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, okay! I got lost for a momentβ€” I may have just been slow then. Whoops. LOL.

But yeah, I see your points about that.

That's really cool I'm glad that people can share their stories on here. Cass thank you for working hard on this.

Comment

I'm so excited! So if our story isn't finished, can we still submit it to the app, and when we update it, the readers will get push notifications if they agree to it? That's what happened to me a second ago while reading an unfinished one.

Comment

• Cass
              Cass commented
              Editing a comment
              Im actually not positive how the push notifications will work with User Stories yet, but in the long run that would be the goal: that if you had "favorited" a user story and the writer updated it, you would know.

I didn't even realize something until today, when I reread someone's thread in the directing help area. Since we can now publish to the app, you've taken away our update button for those stories we haven't published. Why? Not all stories are ready to be published, and you've taken away our ability to save our chapters so we can view them without letting our readers view them too. Bad idea!

Comment

• Cass
              Cass commented
              Editing a comment
              Let me try to clarify this point.

When you start a new story but have not yet published it, you get a link to it that you can share with a few friends or here on the forum so they can read drafts and help you. Every time you share on that story, the link will update.

But once you "Publish", it will stop updating. You can keep editing and saving those episodes and no one will see that new content until you are ready for them to. Your "Publish" button in the upper right should now say "Update" and it will only update the story when you are ready for it to update.

Does this make sense? It is only a little bit different than it used to be, and only before you publish. Otherwise it is the exact same behavior.

• WL.
              WL. commented
              Editing a comment
              @Cass: Er, I don't think I really get it. What does "share on that story" mean?
              Also, by link updating, do you mean the link changes, so that now each time a draft is saved the story gets a new link? Meaning a story can have more than one link, and each "version" has a different one?

• Cass
              Cass commented
              Editing a comment
              Heh, I'm definitely hearing loud and clear that this is confusing, so we're going to discuss how to make this more clear.

To your specific questions WL - the data in the link is updated but the link stays the same. Trying to explain again in different words:

A story that has been published is not updated until you tap the "Update" button. You can save all you want, it will not get your saves and tests until you hit "Update". My suggestion is just to publish your story right away but not promote it on the forums - just send to some friends for feedback. That will be the exact behavior you have now, and your story will stay low if you are not aggressively promoting it yet.

It is only before you publish that things are a little different. Before you publish, the story in that link is updated every time you save. But that stops once the story is published.
          Working...
          X