Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dklaldkamdlkawdmlkmdklw

Comment

• When I was in 2nd grade, they had us all take this test. I don't really remember what the name of it was, but I think if you scored high enough, they had you take an IQ test (or was the first test the IQ test? I don't remember. I didn't take the first one with the rest of my class, though. I think I had to do something else in school at that time. Probably speech. As a kid, I had trouble saying sounds correctly, so I did that since before I even started Kindergarten to like 3rd grade).

Comment

• Well, I did score high enough on that first test and scored higher than average on the IQ test. And if you scored high enough on the IQ test, you had the opportunity (I don't think it was required or anything) to be in this program for gifted kids starting the next year.

Comment

• In my district, it wasn't every day. Once a week (which day it was was different depending on what school you went to and what grade you were in), you would go to another school for a day for the program (well, if you've attended the school it was held at, you just went to a different class).
          Last edited by Anonymous100; 10-12-2017, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• You were excused from doing any homework your regular class had that day (though, my 3rd grade class didn't really have homework). Except that the gifted program did assign homework and it wasn't stuff like worksheets. It was projects. In 3rd grade, it was a Tuesday and I always waited until like Sunday or Monday night to even start. My mom helped me, but it was still a lot of work and I didn't know how to do it.
            Last edited by Anonymous100; 10-12-2017, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• Which caused me a lot of stress. I absolutely hated the program. At first I went with another girl from my school, but then she got kicked out of it (if you didn't do your homework a certain number of times, you were dropped from the program or something. I don't completely know. It never happened to me.) And then I was really insecure about it, because I was the only 3rd grader in my school who went.

Comment

• I finished out the year, though, and went for a few weeks the following year. I tried to stay in it because a friend I had in Kindergarten was also there (who then went to a different school), but I just couldn't do it anymore. I convinced my mom to let me quit it and then I just had my regular class, like the other kids.

Comment

• Oh, another reason I tried staying in it because that year, it was on Thursday and in 4th grade, Thursday was my PE day (each day had art, music, library, or pe. They rotated for the last day of the week), and I really wanted to miss PE. But yeah, the program was still too much for me.

Comment

• But after that, I felt my mom held higher expectations for me than most people because of the results of that IQ test. Well, maybe not the test exactly. Even before that, I think she kind of figured out exactly how capable I was and didn't want to let me waste it or something.

Comment

• And up until a few years ago, I was one of those people who never had to study. School came super easy to me and to be honest, was too slow-paced. I got all A's without even trying and because of that, I never developed a work ethic or persistence or anything. And I never really paid attention to those expectations and never had a problem with them.

Comment

• Then in the past few years, things got harder for me. I had to study, but I didn't know how (I'm still not the best at memorizing large amounts of information effectively). I started becoming more aware of those expectations and started feeling the pressure more. Even more, I started holding higher expectations for myself. I even kept goals during the summer (which doesn't sound bad, but it made me stressed during the summer too). I wanted to be good at everything I tried and for that to be easy, which it wasn't. I wanted to be able to do things well (or perfectly) on the first try, which didn't happen.

Comment

• And that was absolutely frustrating. I grew incredibly annoyed whenever something didn't go that way and eventually got to the point where I wanted to give up and have nothing to do with it. Wait, I think I missed a detail in here. I was also like this with hobbies and things done for fun. So with those, I could quit. With schoolwork, I couldn't. But then when it came anything new, I'd rather not try it at all than try it and risk not doing it well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anonymous100 View Post
                          Then in the past few years, things got harder for me. I had to study, but I didn't know how (I'm still not the best at memorizing large amounts of information effectively). I started becoming more aware of those expectations and started feeling the pressure more. Even more, I started holding higher expectations for myself. I even kept goals during the summer (which doesn't sound bad, but it made me stressed during the summer too). I wanted to be good at everything I tried and for that to be easy, which it wasn't. I wanted to be able to do things well (or perfectly) on the first try, which didn't happen.
                          I ghost wrote this. How is this so relatable?

Comment

• With anything I did, I noticed every little detail, especially ones I perceived to be "imperfect" even if no one else would notice. And I would spend a lot of time attempting to fix those little details to the point where it took me forever to get anything done. And if something wasn't pretty much "perfect," it kind of felt like failure.

Comment

• I just looked up some stuff and I found out that yesterday was National Coming Out Day...

Comment

Working...
                              X