Announcement

Collapse

It's Time to Move! (Open Beta)

You read it right! We are pleased to announce that the new forums have progressed from Closed Beta to Open Beta and everyone is invited! You can now join us here and begin leaving us feedback here! Thanks to the entire Episode community for your awesome contributions and being part of the Episode Community fam! - The Episode Community Team
See more
See less

WARING SERIOUS TOPIC! Martin Luther King jr day/ Racism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WARING SERIOUS TOPIC! Martin Luther King jr day/ Racism

I am not one to typically talk about serious things. If you know me, I'm usually the one who is the weird friend that giggles non-stop. Today or tomorrow (dependent on your time zone) will be Martin Luther King Day. So, since he is a Civil Rights Activists, I thought it would be fitting to talk about racism. First of all, since many of you are from different countries, I thought I would give you a summary of who Martin Luther King jr is.

According to http://www.thekingcenter.org/about-dr-king, "Drawing inspiration from both his Christian faith and the peaceful teachings of Mahatma Gandhi, Dr. King led a nonviolent movement in the late 1950’s and ‘60s to achieve legal equality for African-Americans in the United States. While others were advocating for freedom by “any means necessary,” including violence, Martin Luther King, Jr. used the power of words and acts of nonviolent resistance, such as protests, grassroots organizing, and civil disobedience to achieve seemingly-impossible goals. He went on to lead similar campaigns against poverty and international conflict, always maintaining fidelity to his principles that men and women everywhere, regardless of color or creed, are equal members of the human family."

Now that you know a little about him, let us talk about the issue at hand: racism. Many Americans feel that since we finally have a black president, racism is no longer an issue. That right there is total bull sh*t! Sorry for the language, but that was necessary. If racism was no longer a problem in America, then why did a police officer shoot an unarmed black boy (Michael Brown)? Why are there currently riots in Ferguson fighting against the court ruling that found the officer "not guilty"? Can you answer me that? Hmmmm? Didn't think so. I know that there is also racism in other countries too and it is probably even worse than the current problem we have in the USA. I feel we should talk about this. We shouldn't be afraid to voice our opinions. We shouldn't fear discrimination because of our skin color. We shouldn't be afraid to practice our beliefs. I still see the forums as a family. So my brothers and sisters, will you voice your opinion?
    I also have a dream, just like MLK did. I dream of all the people uniting as one; No matter the sexual orientation, no matter the skin color, no matter the beliefs, I dream of unification. So I will end my post on a picture of this great man:

What do you think? Is racism still an issue that we should discuss? What is the situation in your country? Comment below! I'll be here.

I completely agree! And terrorism is starting to build up because of religion issues which is kinda the same is racism.

Comment

• Miss Molly
      Miss Molly commented
      Editing a comment
      Not really actually. Religion and race are two very different things.

• Girlygg
      Girlygg commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol, okay. Don't know what my brain was thinking xD

I wrote out a whole post just before. Then I read it back and thought it was complete and utter crap, so I deleted it all. I'd just like to say that racism is always going to be around. With many people, you cannot change their views. But just have a think - in terms of racism, our society has significantly improved since this time about 50, 60, 70 or so years ago. At least we can say that we are getting there. The only direction we can go from here, is upwards.

Comment

• MaryGalvan
      MaryGalvan commented
      Editing a comment
      You are right, racism will always be there. But I just like to be optimistic. I just hope that we could all at least attempt to not discriminate.

Unfortunately, racism will never go away. Mankind can never unite. It's not even the color of the skin that's the issue, though I totally agree we shouldn't be judged based on that. It is the content of their character that we should all be judged. Dr King was a brilliant man, which he proved writing that speech while he was in jail, with no access to research or notes. He wrote that entire thing from his memory, and he covered many different complex ideals. It was inspiring.
    But the content of our characters is why we can never be united. Many people have horrible characters. There is too much murder and hate and awfulness to too many peoples' characters for us to ever unite. Very sad and tragic, but too true. That is why I can't stand for people to say we shouldn't judge others. If that were true, there could be no jails or institutions. The criminals would run free, because we couldn't judge them. Society would crumble. Judgment is important and will never go away. It's just how we choose to judge that is important.

But bottom line, your dream of "No matter the sexual orientation, no matter the skin color, no matter the beliefs, I dream of unification." It will never happen.
    Last edited by JudeLB; 01-19-2015, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Bumping this up even though its a new topic...also because more people should see it...........

Comment

• MaryGalvan
        MaryGalvan commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you darling!

As a society, it feels as though we are going backwards. As though our brains cannot comprehend complex and progressive ideas. There will always be bad people, but as a whole, we could do a lot more to squash that. Treating people with kindness, being more open minded to other people's opinions and not putting up a fight every time someone thinks differently. It's frustrating to see this sort of discrimination happening every day, even worse so blatantly displayed in the government. I wish so badly that we could celebrate education, and different people with their different cultures, because as humans that's what makes us unique. Our ability to think, to feel, to be born differently. I really do not like the idea of race, but I love the idea of cultural celebration and understanding of your ancestors. I hate that people go out everyday with a judgement already set in their mind that they will be judged by the color of their skin, and that they will not be allowed to have something because of it. That their dreams don't matter. It's awful that representation in the media is so askew that we truly to start to believe it is speaking the truth. Because we don't choose to educate ourselves. I hope one day that education will matter, that dreams will matter, that kindness and respect will matter. Not greed, or getting ahead, because in the end we all die, and that greed and selfishness won't matter. Our souls have no color other then how we have truly lived. I hope people will grow to live in goodness...

This really didn't have any end idea. I was mostly just ranting. Anyway, I agree with your dream.

Comment

• MaryGalvan
        MaryGalvan commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow I am just speechless. I feel this comment embodies what I feel everyone should feel like about this subject. Thank you for being amazing! Your words have truly touched me.

• QueenMadame
        QueenMadame commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh thank you. ^.^ I'm inspired by the fact that you brought this subject to light. Thank you for sharing your feelings with us all.

Racism is a big problem. Your post made me think of Nelson Mandela and Rubin Carter, it's wrong how people jus judge others by their race, what is the difference? We are just people.

Comment

• MaryGalvan
        MaryGalvan commented
        Editing a comment
        AMEN! Thank you for reading my post!

Originally posted by JudeLB View Post
      But bottom line, your dream of "No matter the sexual orientation, no matter the skin color, no matter the beliefs, I dream of unification." It will never happen.
      It might happen someday, if we all look positively. Racism is a very big problem - I am glad that there are almost ZERO cases in where I live (or at least, not that I've heard of), and I'm glad that people are accepting others. We should judge a person by his/her attitude/deeds, not by skin color, belief or sexual orientation. I completely support Mary and her dream! It might happen. Racism was so bad in the old days, it's much less common now. Think of slavery - no one does it anymore! So why can't racism be eliminated - well, at least minimised? I found this statement very offending. Are you saying that world peace won't happen? That people won't ever accept the way we are? True, the Earth's peace right now is pretty bad and some people might still be very unaccepting, but you never know what might happen in the future. People might realize what is going on and, hopefully, change. It may be fantasy for now, but it might come true in the future - you never know.

Nobody is more stupid, more ugly or more unethical because of their race. It's the person that counts. Not the race. Not the sexual orientation. Not the beliefs. Not the gender.

Comment

• JudeLB
        JudeLB commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm sorry I offended you, but what I posted still stands. No, world peace will never happen. Obviously you didn't read what I posted. I wasn't really talking about racism, other than pointing out it wouldn't go away. I agree with what Dr King stood for, and it's unfortunate that the content of many peoples' characters are so awful, and that has nothing to do with the color of their skin. Anyone can be stupid, ugly or unethical, so bringing racism into it is off target. The dream you quoted is naive, and I say that with no intention of offending anyone. But you can't change the facts. You are young and are lucky if you have ZERO cases of racism where you live. Maybe that is why you don't know much about how the world is. I am much older than you, so maybe I have gotten a bit cynical. I'm mostly sorry that you will probably read this and still think I'm wrong. But that's OK. Still doesn't change the facts.
        Last edited by JudeLB; 01-21-2015, 05:11 AM.

• MaryGalvan
        MaryGalvan commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for supporting my dream! I have actually seen racism and people have been racist towards me. Yet that does not stop me from dreaming. For without dreams or goals, what is the purpose of living? Of course there will be people that doubt my dream, but that is there problem. If it weren't for us dreamers, none of these current issues would even be talked about or even considered. So keep on dreaming TheClimbe, I know I will.

Maybe racism/sexism etc. will never go away, maybe people will never unite. But we should live in a world where atleast everyone has equal rights.

Comment

Working...
      X