Announcement

Collapse

IMPORTANT TWR ANNOUNCEMENT

**~~ANNOUNCEMENT!~~** All The Writers' Room members please check the TWR forums for an important new thread! Your feedback is wanted for this exciting announcement & thanks for being part of the team! - JB
See more
See less

Dara's HELP THREAD for Directing & Coding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Dara.

I wanted to ask how I make it remember what outfit the readers chose for the character to wear in the previous episode.

Love CERW

Comment

• Alex94613809
      Alex94613809 commented
      Editing a comment
      Here’s the script code ☺️ Just copy and paste and adjust outfit and character names.

choice (Outfit)
      “Outfit1”{
      @MC changes into outfit1
      gain outfit1
      goto next
      }
      “Outfit2”{
      @MC changes into outfit2
      gain outfit2
      goto next
      }
      “Outfit3”{
      @MC changes into outfit3
      gain outfit3
      goto next
      }

Then add all the outfits you like following the same format ☺️

Then in the next episode:

if (outfit1){
      @MC changes into outfit1
      goto next
      }
      if (outfit2){
      @MC changes into outfit2
      goto next
      }
      if (outfit3){
      @MC changes into outfit3
      goto next
      }

Hope this helped and if there’s any issues feel free to tell me and I’ll try to help you best I can ❤️

• Dara Amarie
      Dara Amarie commented
      Editing a comment
      The if/elif code is used to remember past choices, and there are 2 ways to use the if/elif code: using choice names or using gains. I gave examples for both, where I first showed you how to name choices or use gains, then the second examples for each are the actual if/elif code to remember those choices.

• CERW
      CERW commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much you two You´ve been a real help and I am really thankful for your help, so thank you so much

• Hey Dara! It's been so long since I've used Episode lol. I was wondering if you could tell me how to make a fighting scene where it's possible for the reader to choose a wrong move or right move and have the reader re-try in case they die?

Comment

• Dara Amarie
      Dara Amarie commented
      Editing a comment
      Something along the lines of this:

label fighting_game

NARRATOR
      What do you choose to do?

choice
      "Right move" {

NARRATOR
      Congratulations! You lived!

} "Wrong move" {

NARRATOR
      Too bad! You died!

choice
      "Start over!" {
      goto fighting_game
      }
      }

• Eleanor2468
      Eleanor2468 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank You So Much! <3

• Thanks for your help earlier! Would you happen to know the link to the background of the white bed sheets? I've seen different authors use the same background

Comment

• Dara Amarie
      Dara Amarie commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't have the link, sorry. But you can search up "white bed sheets top view" in google and you'll find a bunch of them.

• Hi, I'm trying to write a choices thing and I can't seem to solve the error I'm getting.

So this is the script:

RAMONA (think)
    (Which tea should I get?)

choice (tea_choice)
    "Redbush" continue
    "Earl Grey" continue
    "Chamomile" continue

RAMONA (talk_happy_agree)
    (Yeah, I'll get the (tea_choice) tea.)

---

It saves perfectly fine, but when I play it, the dialogue appears as:

Yeah, I'll get the (tea_choice) tea.

It doesn't show what tea the reader chose, even if there were no errors. Do you know how to help?
    Thanks!

Comment

• Valerie T.
      Valerie T. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! But just another question.

If for future use, for example the waiter comes.

WAITER
      Who ordered the ______ tea?

How will I do that? Will I just include their choice in the '{ }' things as well? Or is there another way?
      Sorry if that seems a bit unclear Thanks for that, though!
      Because I remember doing something like labelling the choice so that I can use it for later in the episode. I just forgot how to do it, haha. Is there actually such a thing?

And I've tried your way of formatting a choice, but when I test-play it, it still pops up as 'tea_choice' and not what they have chosen for tea. I removed the 'continue' and everything. :/

But anyway, thanks again!
      Last edited by Valerie T.; 10-16-2017, 11:10 PM.

• Dara Amarie
      Dara Amarie commented
      Editing a comment
      "tea_choice" needs to be in brackets, not parentheses, when referencing that choice:

RAMONA (talk_happy_agree)
      (Yeah, I'll get the [tea_choice] tea.)

• Valerie T.
      Valerie T. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! You helped a lot (:

• Hi! I want to use overlays but everything I read about them is confusing, so I wondered if you could explain it better.

Comment

• Dara Amarie
      Dara Amarie commented
      Editing a comment
      "&" is used in place of "@" when you want a command to happen at the same time or during other commands. Like when you want to place your characters in a scene before the scene starts so when you transition or pan the characters don't just randomly pop up one by one. It can also be used to have characters doing actions or commands happening while someone else speaks; or to zoom/pan while another command is happening. Here are some examples:
      Code:
      INT. BACKGROUND - DAY
      &CHARACTER1 stands screen center in zone 2
      &CHARACTER2 stands screen right in zone 2
      &cut to zone 2
      @transition fade in

or

&CHARACTER1 is laugh_giggle
      @CHARACTER2 is laugh_chuckle

or

&CHARACTER1 is laugh_giggle
      CHARACTER2 (talk_neutral)
      We are awesome friends!

or

&zoom on 220 180 to 230% in 4
      @CHARACTER is dance_groove_loop

"AND" is used to combine two or more commands together on the same line. After the first "@", instead of using another @, just replace that with the word "AND"
      Code:
      @CHARACTER spot % x y in zone # AND CHARACTER faces right AND CHARACTER is dance_groove_loop

or

@CHARACTER1 is laugh_giggle AND CHARACTER2 is laugh_chuckle

• Kittenlove
      Kittenlove commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Dara, another question! How do you make it so there is a square speech thing with the characters name above it? Thanks!

• Dara Amarie
      Dara Amarie commented
      Editing a comment
      Use "NARRATOR" with the character name in parentheses next to it. But this will not work if your character's name has more than 1 name, or if their is a space in the name (like MISS JONES).

NARRATOR (CHARACTER)
      Dialogue.

• Hi, I am having trouble with remembering choices.

I start with episode 2: and the choice is at the beginning of that. I then continue my episode. I then go to episode 3. And the "choice remembering" is around the start of that episode.

What at I am having the issues with is. In episode two if I pick choice one the gameplay runs all the way through fine and the choice is remembered and he says only what he is supposed to. However if someone picked choice two in episode 2, it is not remembered in episode 3. He speaks and says the options for choice one and two.

I have tried to fix to fix this and it has become a little frustrating. Can anyone help? Or post a template for what I could use?

I hope this all makes sense.
    And any help is appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comment

• Writer_Chick
      Writer_Chick commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Dara Amarie I have tried both of these options and it still happens. I may try and copy paste the script and change it to see if that works.

If not do you think it may be a bug of some sort?

• Dara Amarie
      Dara Amarie commented
      Editing a comment
      Reset story progress when testing out all choice options using the if/elif/else code. If you keep just updating story or restarting the episode, the system remembers all the choices and the if/elif/else code doesn't work properly. If this doesn't fix your problem, can you copy and paste both the choice and the if/elif code so i can take a look at it?

• Writer_Chick
      Writer_Chick commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Dara Amarie it is all working perfectly now.
      Last edited by Writer_Chick; 10-16-2017, 11:47 PM.

• How can you find a blanket overlay because I've been reading It's Just An Illusion on episode, and I've been trying to find out what blanket overlay she used. I think that's the name of the story.

Comment

• Briana M.
      Briana M. commented
      Editing a comment
      Is there someone else that has backgrounds on their google drive?

• Dara Amarie
      Dara Amarie commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know anyone else, sorry. You can search up backgrounds on the forums and find people who share their own.

• myarmyofmonkeys
      myarmyofmonkeys commented
      Editing a comment
      Dara Amarie I have a whole drive of backgrounds and overlays and they are licensed for commercial use. I have done a PSA about these drive that may contain copy written material. Feel free to spread my drive around to anyone. I dont have blanket overlays at the moment, but it's something I could work on making. I have $1500+ in daz materials now and I can make a lot of different things, scenes, animals, vehicles of all kinds and I can use any angle you want .

• Hello again! I was wondering if it's possible to make characters slowly disappear, have dialog, and pan at the same time?

Comment

• Dara Amarie
      Dara Amarie commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you trying to have multiple characters disappear one by one or have them all disappear at the same time?

• Eleanor2468
      Eleanor2468 commented
      Editing a comment
      One By One.

• Dara Amarie
      Dara Amarie commented
      Editing a comment
      You need to use the ampersand sign and the THEN command:

&remove CHAR1 THEN remove CHAR2 THEN remove CHAR3
      &pan to zone #
      NARRATOR
      Dialogue.

• hi. can you help me with for overlays, when you put them in to scale spot x and spot y, which spot stands for which direction? like if I want to move the overlay left, which number do i change? (I'm using overlays for the first time)

Comment

• Dara Amarie
      Dara Amarie commented
      Editing a comment
      The x coordinate is left and right, and the y coordinate is up and down.

• shadowsinger
      shadowsinger commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you!

• Hi Dara! I've another question for you.
    Is there another way to change a character's name without creating two identical characters?

Comment

• Dara Amarie
      Dara Amarie commented
      Editing a comment
      Change the display name in character settings in the portal where you change how they look.

• Hi, I am trying to make my character walk to zone 2 and I have added and subtracted 320 and it still isn't working. If you could tell me what to change that would be fantastic.

EXT. CAMPUS BAR OL - NIGHT with STREETLAMP to 111 75 0.748 in zone 1 at layer 1
    @zoom reset
    @SAIGE spot 0.121 57 456 in zone 1 at layer 0 AND SAIGE starts tinker_stand_neutral_loop_rear AND SAIGE faces left
    @pause for 1
    &pan to zone 2 in 4
    @SAIGE walks to spot 0.247 214 363 in 2 AND SAIGE does it while run_athletic_neutral_loop
    @SAIGE walks to spot 0.229 8 386 in 1.5 AND SAIGE does it while run_athletic_neutral_loop

Comment

• Dara Amarie
      Dara Amarie commented
      Editing a comment
      From the looks of it, you didn't add "320" to the x coordinate. Are you trying to get her to walk to spot 214 in zone 2?

• Is anyone else having problems with playing sounds and music on episode's portal because it won't play for me?

Comment

• Briana M.
      Briana M. commented
      Editing a comment
      Clicking on the black arrow next to the sound name. They added new sounds and music, but it won't play Do you know what's going on?
      Last edited by Briana M.; 10-19-2017, 05:47 PM.

• Dara Amarie
      Dara Amarie commented
      Editing a comment
      It's probably having some problems since a bunch of new sounds were released all at once. Try using a different browser or exit out of your current browser and log back in. If you still can't hear the sounds, try submitting a ticket: https://pocketgems.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

• Briana M.
      Briana M. commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay thank you. I wonder if other people are having the same problem as me.

• Hey Dara.

I´ve seen in a lot of stories where there is a choice where you pick the answer to a question and if its wrong then you go back and get a chance to make the choice again. I wanted to know if you happened to know how to code that in?

CERW

Comment

• Dara Amarie
      Dara Amarie commented
      Editing a comment
      Labels and gotos. Here’s an example:
      Code:
      label question_game

NARRATOR
      What is the correct answer?

choice
      “Wrong answer” {
      NARRATOR
      Sorry but that answer is incorrect. 
      Try again. 

goto question_game

} “Right answer” {
      NARRATOR
      Correct!

#continue script 

} “Another wrong answer” {
      NARRATOR
      Sorry but that answer is incorrect. 
      Try again. 

goto question_game
      }

• CERW
      CERW commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Dara

• Everytime I do the choices thing it says theres an error either with no matching { or block end or it doesnt exist
    Attached Files

Comment

• donutlover05
      donutlover05 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not sure but I think you're missing a } bracket after the word Perfect? Idk...

• Dara Amarie
      Dara Amarie commented
      Editing a comment
      I answered your PM.

• Hey Dara,
    I am constantly trying but I just can't figure out how to do this
    I want to do as if a scene and then the camera goes behind which shows that it's a show on tv and the show still goes on.

Is it possible?

Comment

Working...
X