Announcement

Collapse

IMPORTANT TWR ANNOUNCEMENT

**~~ANNOUNCEMENT!~~** All The Writers' Room members please check the TWR forums for an important new thread! Your feedback is wanted for this exciting announcement & thanks for being part of the team! - JB
See more
See less

Dara's HELP THREAD for Directing & Coding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The script part that lets the reader choose their own name doesn't show up in the web previewer. When I try to enter them name like [FIRST_NAME] shows up as "Auto Bot". Is that normal or is it a glitch? Will it show up correctly in the app?

Comment

• Dara Amarie
      Dara Amarie commented
      Editing a comment
      This is because the web previewer doesn't show typed-in input codes (the code to let you type in names). It skips over that code, which prevents you from typing in a name. So "Auto Bot" is used in place of that name. Don't worry, this only happens with the web previewer. Every thing works out perfectly when you test out your story in the app.

• Hey Dara, I have an annoying problem in my script that causes 3 of the characters (Leonidas, Advisor1, and Messenger) to not show up in the phone previewer for some reason. Could you tell me why that's happening?

Here's my script:
    INT. THRONE ROOM ZOOM - DAY
    @LEONIDAS spot .744 164 282 AND LEONIDAS is sit AND LEONIDAS faces left AND ADVISOR1 spot .719 86 285 AND ADVISOR1 faces right AND LEONIDAS moves to layer 3 AND ADVISOR1 moves to layer 0 AND ADVISOR2 spot .707 239 286 AND ADVISOR2 moves to layer 1 AND ADVISOR2 faces left
    @pause for a beat
    @MESSENGER spot 2.189 -110 -412 AND MESSENGER is idle_rear AND MESSENGER faces left AND MESSENGER moves to layer 4
    &MESSENGER walks to spot .814 32 217 AND MESSENGER does it while walk_rear AND MESSENGER faces left THEN MESSENGER is bow AND MESSENGER faces right
    @speechbubble is 125 266 to 100% with tail_top_left
    MESSENGER (talk_arms_crossed)
    Your Majesty. Rumors of war incoming from the Golden Dynasty.

Comment

• Dara Amarie
      Dara Amarie commented
      Editing a comment
      Are all three of those characters males? If they are, then this glitch happens from time to time where males don't show up. When this happens, just restart the app and they should appear again.

• Letanhec
      Letanhec commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, they are, and I tried it and it ended up working. Thank you Dara!

• I didn't have time to look through all of the responses in this thread, so sorry if this was already answered. I keep seeing this pop-up on the bottom of the screens of other stories. It's kind of like a narrator box, but it's up there for like 5 seconds and just provides quick info. How do you code this? Thanks!

Comment

• How can I have my scene fade in while also zooming?

Comment

• Dara Amarie
      Dara Amarie commented
      Editing a comment
      Use the ampersand sign (&) instead of the at-sign (@) when you want to have a command happen simultaneously while other commands happen.

&zoom on -----
      @transition fade in

• Episode's Life
      Episode's Life commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok thank you! I was putting:

@zoom...
      &transition

• Hello...How can I have my character drive a car off screen on a non looping background. I know I've seen it in stories. My character's car is parked now and she's leaving and I just need the car ( and her) to drive offscreen right.
    Thanks

Comment

• Dara Amarie
      Dara Amarie commented
      Editing a comment
      You need to move the car overlay and the character offscreen at the same time.

&overlay CAR OVERLAY shifts to x y in S
      @CHARACTER walks to spot % x y in S AND CHARACTER does it while idle

• Buttascotch
      Buttascotch commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks..I will try it.

• I've seen some stories that show the character's face at the end of an animation, as a reaction or to be funny, but without showing the full animation. Is showing the full animation while focusing on a different zone the only way to do that? Or is there a different way? Thanks! (Example: The New Girl by Saige Mercer)

Comment

• Dara Amarie
      Dara Amarie commented
      Editing a comment
      The only way to show the end of an animation is to wait for the animation to play through (be in a different zone or zoom focus on a different character) then show the character.

• How do I have a character hold a coffee cup?

Comment

• Dara Amarie
      Dara Amarie commented
      Editing a comment
      You will need to use props. The list of props is on the right side of the script underneath the list of animations.
      To add the prop:
      @add Prop Name to CHARACTER

To remove the prop:
      @remove Prop Name from CHARACTER

• FluffyCat1345
      FluffyCat1345 commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks a ton

• Hi!

Do you know what the walk offset animations are for? Is it the same as making a character exit a scene?

Comment

• donutlover05
      I get why you would think it means to exit the scene since it says "off set" haha I thought that too at first, but the walk_offset animation is actually used so that 2 or more characters don't walk exactly alike at the same time. It's so that both (or more characters) don't walk on exactly the same beat.

Both at "walk_neutral" or just regular walking:

One is "walk_neutral" and the other is "walk_offset"

Comment

• donutlover05
        donutlover05 commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, I get it now haha. Thank you!

• How to customize a character in a scene? If a character was in school or something, and I wanted to customize her, how would I do that?

Comment

• Hi!
      I was wondering if it was possible to have a character or overlay fade out.
      I am using the web previewer

Thank youuu <3 ,
      Arrge

Comment

• Hey Dara.

I was wondering if it is possible to make an overlay move?

This is the background that I am planning to use.

https://www.episodeinteractive.com/d...bf7b4d542e.jpg

Thx before hand.

CERW
      Last edited by CERW; 11-12-2017, 06:24 AM.

Comment

• How do you zoom up and down on a character that just enters a scene?
      Here's what I have:

Kamilah enters from left to screen left
      Kamilah stands screen left AND KAMILAH faces right
      @pause for a beat
      @zoom on 0 568 to 160% in 0
      @pause for a beat
      &zoom on 221 328 to 160% in 2.5
      @pause for a beat
      @pause for a beat
      @pause for a beat

Comment

• Dara Amarie
        Dara Amarie commented
        Editing a comment
        You need to zoom in on the feet first, then zoom up to the head (or head first then feet).

• Briana M.
        Briana M. commented
        Editing a comment
        Ohh okay!! Thank you!! I hope it works.

• Hey Dara.

I tried to use the link you send me to help with the overlays but I don´t understand a thing that it says. I´ve tried to do what it says and it ended up with this:

EXT. TGD WAREHOUSE - DAY with CAR SIDE PURPLE to -53 0 in zone 1
      @transition fade in black 3
      @OVERLAY OVERLAY scales to 0.641 0.641 in 0
      @RITUEL spot 1.175 72 -14 AND SHEELE spot 1.185 258 -5 AND RITUEL faces right AND SHEELE faces right

It keeps saying that there is an error but I can´t seem to find the error and I wrote in the exact thing that stood in the box with @overlay OVERLAY scale too

This is what it says the error is:

Wrong syntax of specifying coordinates.
      Try "to SCALE X Y".
      For example "to 1.0 100 100".

Can you see the error? Please help me.

CERW

Comment

• Dara Amarie
        Dara Amarie commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you sure you read my thread very carefully?

1. When you add the overlay to the background name, its "with OVERLAY to % x y in zone #"
        You didn't add the scale size (%)

2. The first word "overlay" needs to be all lower case
        @overlay OVERLAY scales to blah blah

3. The second "OVERLAY" in all caps needs to be the actual name of the overlay.
        @overlay CAR SIDE PURPLE scales blah blah

4. If you are just placing your overlay in the scene and aren't actually animating it, you don't need to use the @overlay OVERLAY scales command. Just add the scale size to the background name like I stated in number 1 above.

• CERW
        CERW commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Dara it was really helpful

• I know that this question probably doesn't belong on this thread, but I'm starting to get really upset Do you know any cover artist this makes story covers look more realistic? Anybody can answer this question, I just really wanna know right now.

Comment

• Dara Amarie
        Dara Amarie commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know any on the Forums, but if you had an instagram, you could search up the tag #episodecover and find a bunch artists.
    Working...
    X