Dealing With Negativity?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing With Negativity?

I hope I've put this on the right part of the forum.

One of the many things that attracted me to writing a story on Episode is how supportive, helpful and friendly the community is at large. However, I have recently hit 30,000 views on my story, and I have started to get quite a few unsavoury comments on how my stories are a waste of time and about how they are too short. It is always a bit of a shock for me, considering how lovely most of the people who comment are!

I always try to reply with respect, which often means having to step back and take a deep breath before replying. It's frustrating because I put all of my heart into my writing. It makes me feel a little vulnerable when I finish a chapter and release it to the Episode community. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything else like this? If so, how did you deal with it? What do you recommend I do?
    Last edited by AndThatsShannii; 11-09-2017, 04:42 PM.

Hey AndThatsShannii, first of all, congrats on 30,000 views! That is a massive achievement!

Sometimes not everyone likes your story, and that's okay. Personally, I revived some nasty feedback, and when I saw it I just deleted it straight away. Stuff like that isn't encouraging and makes you feel like shit, honestly. So I felt sad, and even considered deleting my story! (Crazy, ikr).

Anyway, what helped me is to not focus on the haters, but focus on the readers who love your story, and are waiting for new chapters! They shouldn't be let down because of some negative people. If your confident to confront the hate, do some funny comeback, or tell them you didn't appreciate it.

Anyway, if anyone feels deeply sad, just remember that we r here for u, u can message me if ur feeling sad and I'll try to help u out!!! ❤️❤️

Don't be a stranger!
    -Mia 💕💕
    Last edited by Mia_Tumblr; 11-10-2017, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• AndThatsShannii
      AndThatsShannii commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, Mia!

Thank you so much for your feedback! It is really encouraging to know that there are other writers who have experienced similar things. It's always really shocking to get a fanmail all in caps with mean comments all the way through! I understand when people think my story needs improving (my first few chapters kinda suck because I had no clue how to direct ), but some of them offer no advice whatsoever! It can be so frustrating!

It's great to see encouraging comments like yours! Thank you!

Also, what's your story called? I would love to give it a read

• Mia_Tumblr
      Mia_Tumblr commented
      Editing a comment
      AndThatsShannii I'm glad I could help! I am a new episode writer, and I have a few books.. If u want u can search my username, (Mia_Tumblr) and it will come up! I'm also happy to follow u! I'll give ur story a read now! 💕💕

I know this is hard, but my suggestion is to not reply when it's straight-up hate. If it's constructive, and it seems like the person is trying to help you that's fine. But the one thing haters love receiving is your responses. Luckily, Episode recently added a new feature where we can block all the post from the nasty viewers out there, and we can see all the post made by them alone. Who knows? All your hate could be from one person who hasn't even read the story.

Comment

• AndThatsShannii
      Editing a comment
      Wow! That does sound like a lot of effort for one angry person to go to! :S It always confuses me when people go out of their way to hate on people!

I'm sorry to hear that you've dealt with hate. Hopefully most of it is constructive criticism rather than full-blown hate, but if it's blatant hate for no reason, I know how hard it can be dealing with that. There are some folks who'd rather be mean to others in their spare time than offer kind words, but don't let them get you down! <3

Comment

• AndThatsShannii
      Editing a comment
      Hi! Thank you so much for your comment! A lot of it is constructive and focused on my first few chapters: they point out the fact that they're not as good as my later chapters because I knew nothing about how to direct xD Those ones are awesome and helpful. It is a little bit of a struggle to deal with outright mean comments, though!

• AshlynnA
      AshlynnA commented
      Editing a comment
      AndThatsShannii I know how hard it can be to even handle constructive criticism, so I applaud you for trying your best to handle those comments! It's never easy to hear negativity, but if you can stomach it, it can be super helpful. I hope everything goes well with your story! <3

Aw that’s sad we have/ will deal with that stuff, but hey! You’re awesome! Try taking the hate, and using it in a good manner. Use it to improve, and kill em with kindness! When you’re in doubt, or you catch a case of the blues, there is a rant thread! And I think I speak for EVERYONE in the community when I say:
    We
    Will
    listen

this forum is here to not only gain experience, but make friends! This is a safe place, so pick a gal or guy, and just talk! This is a beautiful place, so never forget that this episode family is ALWAYS gonna be here for you!

To help
    To comfort
    And to calm!

-Maliyahxxmoore
    Last edited by Maliyahxxmoore; 11-11-2017, 07:31 AM.

Comment

• AshlynnA
      AshlynnA commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually, it's totally fine staying in this section of the forum!

• Maliyahxxmoore
      Maliyahxxmoore commented
      Editing a comment
      AshlynnA okay thanks!

• AndThatsShannii
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your comment! I will bear that in mind. It is really encouraging to see kind people like you on the forums!

That's just the way it is. You'll always find people who are jealous or haters or thinking how to make your day worse. The one thing you could do is just ignore them I know it's hard but remember you have lots of fans as well! Many people don't know what the constructive criticism is, but many of them are posting hateful messages on purpose.
    Don't let them get in your head! 30,000 reads that's an impressive achievement!
    If you need a talk, you can always PM me!

Comment

• AndThatsShannii
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much! You're right! I was super excited when I reached 30,000 reads, but around the same time, people started giving me hate messages! I guess that made it a little difficult to see the good in all of this!

I would like to say thank you all for your lovely words of advice.

A few days ago, when I posted this, I was all but ready to give up on my story, The Queen of Freaks! It's been my baby for almost a year, now, and I just felt extremely vulnerable after all the comments I was getting. It had taken me months to plan the world before I even started writing the story on Episode. You're all right, though! It can sometimes be difficult to look on the bright side, but after taking a weekend off writing and spending it just on myself, and after reading through this thread, I feel much better and ready to jump back into the story.

It will always allude me how people can go out of their way to post hate and try to bring you down! All in all, though, most of the people in the Episode community and wonderful. I guess I just need to keep reminding myself that all successful things get hate. I'm kinda feeling a little flattered now that my story has reached enough people for me to have a hater - if that makes sense.

Comment

Congrats on the 30,000 reads. What I do is just delete the comment or ignore it. There the kind of people that like tearing people down, it's not cool but we just need to keep our head high and don't show how much it bugs us. That's what they want you to do, to react to it but if we don't then don't get the satisfaction.

Comment

• AndThatsShannii
        Editing a comment
        Thank you so much for your comment! It can sometimes be difficult to ignore negativity, but you're right! It shouldn't get to me
    Working...
    X