Announcement

Collapse

It's Time to Move! (Open Beta)

You read it right! We are pleased to announce that the new forums have progressed from Closed Beta to Open Beta and everyone is invited! You can now join us here and begin leaving us feedback here! Thanks to the entire Episode community for your awesome contributions and being part of the Episode Community fam! - The Episode Community Team
See more
See less

HOW TO: "Fade" Characters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW TO: "Fade" Characters

Hello everyone!

I've been getting a lot of people asking me how to fade out characters or change their opacity. The answer is "you can't" because it is not yet possible to change the opacity of a character. BUT there is a trick to make is appear as though your character is fading in/out, and I will show you how to do that.

The Trick:
    Upload a background image as an overlay and change the opacity over your character(s).

EXAMPLE 1: In the example below, I have the girl (myself) at layer 1, the boyfriend at layer 3, and the background overlay at layer 2 (so the overlay is in between the 2 characters).
    Then I changed the opacity to 0.5 to make myself appear as almost invisible.

BACKGROUND with OVERLAY at layer 2
    &DARA moves to layer 1 and BOYFRIEND moves to layer 3
    @overlay OVERLAY opacity 0.5 in 0

EXAMPLE 2:
    In the image below, I did the same as above: myself at layer 1, boyfriend at layer 3, and overlay at layer 2.
    At the beginning of the scene I put the overlay at opacity 0, so you can't see the overlay yet when the scene starts.
    Then during the scene, I changed the opacity to 1 in the span of 2 seconds to make it appear as if I'm fading myself out.

BACKGROUND with OVERLAY at layer 2
    @overlay OVERLAY opacity 0.5 in 0
    &DARA moves to layer 1 and BOYFRIEND moves to layer 3
    @overlay OVERLAY opacity 1 in 2

AND THAT IS HOW YOU MAKE CHARACTERS "FADE"!
    HAPPY DIRECTING!

Thank you, Dara, so much!

Comment

It would be nice to give credit to the one who found this trick

Comment

• Dara Amarie
        Dara Amarie commented
        Editing a comment
        This isn't something that I "stole" from anyone. I've known how to do this trick for a while (out of mere sudden realization), and it wasn't until people kept asking how this could be achieved that I decided to make this how-to thread. So I can't give "credit" to anyone because I didn't take this idea from anyone.

I'm also NOT taking credit for this since I know there are other people out there who have also realized you could do this trick.
        Last edited by Dara Amarie; 12-11-2017, 02:53 PM.

What overlay did you use? I'm just curious to see as I don't want to use the wrong one or a different one that looks like something of an object.

Comment

• Dara Amarie
        Dara Amarie commented
        Editing a comment
        I made the background into a PNG image and uploaded it as an overlay. So the overlay is just an image of the background.

Soooooo cool!!!

Comment

Thanks so much!

Comment

I've been looking for this forever! Thank you!

Comment

Hey, for some reason, your method isn't working. I can make the character fade in by making the overlay go from 1 to 0, but when I do it the other way (from 0 to 1), the overlay always abruptly appears, even when I say to go for 2 seconds. The overlay is always wanting to fade out but not fade in.
            Is there a reason?

Comment

• catsharp53
              catsharp53 commented
              Editing a comment
              Are you on the web viewer? Because that's glitchy with fading overlays. I suggest testing it on a mobile device.

• Emerald Starr
              Emerald Starr commented
              Editing a comment
              Okay, Thanks!!

Your method isn't working for me.....

INT. THE ZONE BEACH with BEACH at layer 2
            &TRUCKER moves to layer 1 and MOLLY moves to layer 3
            @overlay BEACH opacity 0.5 in 0

I did everything right, I'm pretty sure, but then when I preview it on my computer it just has Molly standing at screen right and Trucker standing at screen right but smaller, I'm using this background

EXT. TROPICAL BEACH DUSK - DAY

I made it into a one zone background and now its

INT. THE ZONE BEACH

I made it into an overlay as well, then I put it in my script, and that's what happened. I don't know what I'm doing wrong?? Can you please help me if you can?
            Last edited by The Adrienne Napier; 01-14-2018, 11:58 PM.

Comment

• The Adrienne Napier
              Editing a comment
              Dara Amarie but I do have one question, can we move the character that is faded to different places and still keep them faded? Like if I wanted to move my faded character in front of my non-faded character I could just spot direct him/her to the spot and they would still be faded? Or do I have to move the landscape with them also? If so How would I do this to keep them faded while moving?? Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it! Thanks for your help though, I seriously was looking for this forever!

EDIT: Great, another problem lol, well when I try to make the character fade out, he just disappears, he doesn't fade out at all, this is what I'm doing,

EXT. GEORGIA with LANDSCAPE at layer 2
              @overlay LANDSCAPE opacity 0.5 in 0
              &TRUCKER moves to layer 1 AND TRUCKER spot 1.318 241 -6 AND TRUCKER is hug and MOLLY moves to layer 3 AND MOLLY spot 1.280 168 -4 AND MOLLY faces left AND MOLLY is hug_rear
              @overlay LANDSCAPE opacity 1 in 3

If you know how to fix this, help with be appreciated thank you!
              Last edited by The Adrienne Napier; 01-15-2018, 01:26 AM.

• Dara Amarie
              Dara Amarie commented
              Editing a comment
              If you’re using the web previewer, it doesn’t show overlay opacity changes, so you’ll have to test that part out in the app.

• The Adrienne Napier
              Editing a comment
              Thank you so much! XOXO

Why is this not working for me?

INT. LAB_2 with BLUE COP LIGHT to 0.366 48 252 with LAB at layer 2 in zone 2
            @overlay LAB opacity 0.5 in 0
            &KEIRA spot 0.970 142 154 in zone 2 AND KEIRA faces left AND KEIRA is idle_terrified_loop AND KEIRA moves to layer 1
            &KEIRA is idle_terrified_loop
            @cut to zone 2
            @overlay LAB opacity 1 in 3
            @pause for a beat
            @transition fade in blue

Comment

• Dara Amarie
              Dara Amarie commented
              Editing a comment
              If you’re using the web previewer, it doesn’t show overlay opacity changes, so you’ll have to test that part out in the app.

• lawful evil
              lawful evil commented
              Editing a comment
              Dara Amarie I checked it on the app already, doesn't work ((

The chapters just dissappeared fast. Is it possible to make fade slower?

• Dara Amarie
              Dara Amarie commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes you make the seconds longer.

Dara Amarie would you mind if I added some of your tutorials to @backgroundfactory's folder of faqs and guides? I will make you your own folder

Comment

Is there a way to do this in INK?

Comment

• AmyElizabeth0825
                AmyElizabeth0825 commented
                Editing a comment
                Okay. Do I just do it the same way you had described in limelight?

• Dara Amarie
                Dara Amarie commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, the instructions above are about overlays only. I just used Limelight for those examples, so don’t worry about what style I used because the trick has nothing to do with what style of characters you use. It works for all styles.

• AmyElizabeth0825
                AmyElizabeth0825 commented
                Editing a comment
                Perfect(: Thank you so much!!
            Working...
            X