Announcement

Collapse

It's Time to Move! (Open Beta)

You read it right! We are pleased to announce that the new forums have progressed from Closed Beta to Open Beta and everyone is invited! You can now join us here and begin leaving us feedback here! Thanks to the entire Episode community for your awesome contributions and being part of the Episode Community fam! - The Episode Community Team
See more
See less

Beginner Forum, and Advanced Coding help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner Forum, and Advanced Coding help

So, I see soooo many new authors trying to write stories but are interrupted because of the freaking scrip. Most people resort to other writers or people to ask questions, and here would be a place to do it. I myself will be answering all your questions about coding and other things. Most people have issues with using commands, and remembering them, so sometime I'll write a list of separate sections of commands. I hope this topic is helpful for all, and wish you all some happy writing! Just look at my posts down below and you'll find lists of directing commands!
    Last edited by TheRamenWriter; 01-03-2018, 04:50 PM.

Beginner command list for characters:

How to place your character in parts of the screen:

@CHARACTER stands screen (left/center/right)

-Example:

@CHARACTER stands screen left

@CHARACTER stands screen center

@CHARACTER stands screen right

*If you don't want the default spots, (left/center/right) just spot direct using preview, or your device. Code for spot:

@CHARACTER spot (here go the numbers which you get from preview or your device)

-Example:

@CHARACTER spot 1.280 764 32 (these numbers are the spot on which your character is on)

Now that we've covered these simple commands, we have "Facing commands," "walking commands," "transition commands,"music and sound commands" and "animation commands" left to go over. It's safe to say that these commands, and dialogue commands are the easiest things to cover, the rest is just extra for advanced, or fancy people. I hope this section helps those who are stuck on spot commands. (stop directing and all that.) Zooming commands is just like spot directing, but you're using different code words. It may sound complicated, but it's not. once you master these commands, you'll write in a jiffy, fast as the flash. HAPPY WRITING!

Comment

Now, we're going over section 2: Facing commands. What are facing commands? Facing commands are commands that choose what direction your character is facing, and wait for it... It's the easiest command you'll ever get from me, so, enjoy this one, because it's sweet and short. There's only two directions that your character can face, which is left, or right. This makes directing the command a lot easier, so really there's only two types of commands for this section. Here are the codes.

*If you want your character to be facing right:

@CHARACTER faces right

*If you want your character to be facing left:

@CHARACTER faces left

-And that's pretty much it. Like I said before, sweet and short. This command is really helpful because many new writers forget to use this, and Episode will randomly pick which way your character faces, so when you open your story, each time you open it, your character will be facing different directions. So, learn this one, because it's really helpful. It's a pity that when we're given an easy one, no one remembers it. Lol... HAPPY WRITING!!!

Comment

lol bump. I PUT LOL BUMP., WHAT YOU EXPEXCT TO EPISODE

Comment

Section 3: WALKING COMMANDS, YAYYY! Anyway, today I'll be introducing walking commands. I'm just going to show you the simple commands today, and the more advanced ones will be written out another day. The basics here are that your character can walk to the default, which is left, center, right, or use spot directing, that instead of typing (left...) you type spot (and the numbers, just like spot directing. Here's how it works:

*Left, center, right examples:

@CHARACTER walks to screen left

@CHARACTER walks to screen center

@CHARACTER walks to screen right

*Character walking to spot commands:

@CHARACTER walks to spot (here go the numbers taken from preview or device.)

*Example of walking to spot command:

@CHARACTER walks to spot 1.280 764 32

-And that's it for walking commands! Well, the simple way. Here's a bit more info that would probs improve your writing. But make sure you understand the first bit of commands before trying this, because it's a bit confusing.
        - Section 3, part 2: A character can have a timed action, so, you can control how long it will take the character to walk to the spot or default area. for example, if your character is exhausted, and episodes default settings make your character walk too fast when they're supposed to be tired, you can edit the commands to slow down, or make the character walk faster. Here are the commands:

@CHARACTER walks to (area) in (amount of seconds)

ACTUAL EXAMPLE:

@CHARACTER walks to screen left in 6

-So, it will take the character 6 seconds to walk to that area. Easy!

Section 3, part 3: As I said before in an example, your character is exhausted so it has to walk slowly, right? Well, but it's going to need an animation to look exhausted, not just some slow walking!
        So, how are we going to do this? You just add an animation command to the end of the walking command and test it out. In order to add another command in the same line, you have to put in all capitals, AND (and the CHARACTERS name as well) to continue the command. Here's an example.

@CHARACTER walks to screen left in 6 AND CHARACTER is walk_exhausted

*running example:

@CHARACTER walks to screen left in 3 AND CHARACTER is run_athletic

-There's a bunch of walking animations that you can add to your character, but I just gave two examples out of a bunch, so feel free to check all the animations out!

Section 3, part 4: ZONES!
        What are zones? Zones are the parts of the background in which the screen focuses on. A background could have 4 zones, so the background could be big, making the character walk offset, but really they're just walking to another part of the background. Here are the commands to walking into different zones. (BTW, this only works with the default spots, no spot directing works with this!)

@CHARACTER walks to screen (left, center,right) in zone (1-4, depending on the size of the background)

ACTUAL COMMAND:

@CHARACTER walks to screen center in zone 3 in 4

-The in 4 indicates that the character will walk to the screen center in zone 3 in 4 seconds, you can also add animations when walking to different zones.

This HUGE section is now over! Happy writing!
        Last edited by TheRamenWriter; 01-04-2018, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Section 4! Animation commands: An animation gives your dialogue feeling, so you're going to need the right animation for dialogue. Animations are very simple commands, and there's two ways of typing them out. Here are the examples:

Exhausted girl:

@CHARACTER is idle_exhausted

OR:

@CHARACTER starts idle_exhausted

Section 4, part 2: Before I get on to the second part, I'd like to explain what a beat is. When on script, you write, "@pause for a beat," it makes the story pause for a second, or if you want to pause for some longer time, just type this: @pause for (amount of seconds) ACTUAL EX: @pause for 3, this would cause the story to stop for three seconds to add a dramatic pause. Why am I explaining this? Because animations won't work since they're automatic when written without dialogue. So, you would have to make your story pause for an amount of seconds so the animation can work. Although, the amount of seconds really depend on the animations existing time. So, if an animation is 2 seconds long, and you put @pause for a beat, or @pause for 1, the animation will be cut short, so you need to be sure how long the animations are. (Most of them are usually 2 seconds. Some are 3, and barely any are 1. Some are just looped, so they go on forever. Here are examples of an animation working:

@CHARACTER (is/starts) think

@pause for 2

-This makes your character pause for two seconds so the animation can work itself! Happy writing!

Comment

Does anyone know how to pause the animations? I've seen it used in the stories.

Comment

• m-d
              m-d commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not completely sure what you mean, do you mean pause like @pause for s, or do you mean like characters do not looping animations and people cut/ pan/ zoom to different place in the scene and then when they come back the characters are like on pause, like the animation ""shush" in Ink for example? Something else?

• DragonGirl
              DragonGirl commented
              Editing a comment
              Um actually I've seen people pause an animation in action like a cheek kiss one.

• allyy20
              allyy20 commented
              Editing a comment
              Unfortunately, the kiss cheek is the only pause animation possible. Instead of doing kiss_cheek_give or kiss_cheek_receive, do kiss_cheek_giveselfie or something like that. This makes your character still while doing the animation! Hopefully this helps you out!
          Working...
          X