Announcement

Collapse

IMPORTANT TWR ANNOUNCEMENT

**~~ANNOUNCEMENT!~~** All The Writers' Room members please check the TWR forums for an important new thread! Your feedback is wanted for this exciting announcement & thanks for being part of the team! - JB
See more
See less

[MUST READ FIRST] Directing FAQ

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [MUST READ FIRST] Directing FAQ

Welcome to the Directing subforum. If you have a question, please read this FAQ first to find answers to the common directing questions asked.
    You should still try to search for answers before starting a new topic if they are not found in this FAQ.

Threads on the same topic have to be merged, which is unreliable and may result in posts being lost, so it is best not to have to merge them at all. Posts HAVE been lost before in the past. Note that if you continue to create new threads or post on wrong threads despite my telling you not to, you can receive a ban.
    This is in the event that you outright ignore the repeated reminders and warnings. I do not wish to deny help to anyone, so please follow the rules and we can all get what we want.

For users who are answering questions - if you are aware that it's a duplicate question, it's best if you could just post a link to the original instead of answering the question again, just in case the post does not get merged. Thanks.

Special thanks to Rachel (adimahi) who created the first version of this FAQ.

Note: If you notice any of the links below are not working or it says you are unauthorised to view the page, PM me and let me know which one. It could be that I made a mistake or the thread was deleted by the person who started it. If your thread was the one others were merged into, it's a good thing because it meant yours had the best title! But if you do not want all the notifications, PM me and I'll create a new one to merge everything into. Please do not silently delete the thread.

Searching The Forum
    Here is a guide on how to search the forums more effectively: How to Search the Forum for Answers

Directing Errors
    Refer to Common Errors and How to Fix Them for general tips on how to fix some of the most common errors.

This is a list of threads that further discusses some of the errors.
    1. Can't have one character immediately following another
    2. Choices must follow dialog immediately, not a branch
    3. Expected CHARACTER or SCENE change*
    4. Missing Place
    5. Need more than 1 value to unpack*
    6. Node already has background
    7. There is a { on line <number> that does not have a matching }
    8. Too many values to unpack*
    9. Unexpected Dialog
    10. Unexpected end of input
    11. Unexpected Expression
    12. Unexpected SEQUENCE
    *Not currently in the Common Errors list

The Five Most Commonly Asked Questions
    ... or at least, what I think are the five most commonly asked questions.

Q: How do I make a character think? / How do I make a thought bubble?
    A: Put the text in parentheses.

Code:
    CHARACTER
    (This will appear in a thought bubble.)
    Refer to How do you make a thought bubble?

Q: How do I change a character's hairstyle?
    A: For Classic, create another character with a different script name but the same display name as your character. Refer to this thread.
    In Ink, you can directly change the hair by specifying the hairstyle:
    Code:
    @CHAR changes hair into HAIRSTYLE
    Q: How do I get characters to lie down on a bed?
    A: Refer to the Spot Cheat Sheet (v2) or its Google Docs version.
    Any further discussion should go in the thread How do I get my character to lay in a bed.

Q: How do I code a dressing game? / How do I let characters pick and change their outfit?
    A: Refer to this example script. Post in this massive thread if you need more help.

Q: How can I do a type-in choice like in Finding Mr. Wright?
    A: The template is:
    Code:
    input What's your first name?|What's your first name?|Done(NAME)

NARRATOR
    Hello, [NAME].
    Refer to this thread on type-in choices for discussion.
    However, JudeLB came up with a code for typing in inputs of up to six characters by making use of the normal choices and branching when this was still not available.

General Directing
    Q: How do I code a dressing game? / How do I let characters pick and change their outfit?
    A: Refer to this example script. Post in this massive thread if you need more help.

Q: How can I repeat a choice or confirm a choice like in a dressing game?
    A: Refer to this thread.

Q: How can I eliminate choice options after they have been selected?

Q: How do I get a male and female character to kiss?
    A: Refer to this example script on the portal. Look at Character Positioning Help for Kissing Scenes if you need more help.

Q: How do I get the character to do an action without talking?
    A: Refer to this guide.

Code:
    @CHAR is action
    If any further help is needed, refer to this thread.

Q: How do I let readers choose a character's name?
    A: Refer to this example script. Refer to this thread if you need more help.

Q: How do I get a character to run?
    A: There are a few ways to do it.
    Code:
    @CHARACTER runs to position
    @CHARACTER exits SIDE and CHARACTER does it while running
    The rest are covered in the Master List of Directing Commands. Post in this thread if you need more help.

Q: How do I get characters to run faster, like in The Captain's Daughter?
    A: Refer to this thread, in particular this post.

Q: How come some published stories have special backgrounds? Can I use my own background or a custom background in my story?
    A: Yes, now everyone can upload custom backgrounds. The old thread is here.

Q: How do I get characters to talk from offscreen? / Is there a way to have speech bubbles without the characters appearing on the screen?
    A: Place them in the next zone and have them talk . Refer to this thread.

Q: How do I get characters to walk/exit while doing another action?
    A: You have to add AND CHARACTER does it while (action). Refer to this thread for more details.

Q: (Simultaneous Directing) How do I get two characters to do actions at the same time?

Q: How do I get the narrator bubble? / How do I get that box that is not said by a character?
    A: Use the NARRATOR, a special "character" that you can use in your script without creating it first.

Code:
    NARRATOR
    I'm going to narrate the story.
    Q: How about the box with a name above it? / How do I get a labelled box?
    A: You place the character's name after narrator in parentheses. It must be a character that exists. Discussion should go here.
    Code:
    NARRATOR (CHAR)
    Char said this in a box.
    Q: How can I have two or more characters on a screen?
    A: Refer to http://forums.episodeinteractive.com...39-help-needed

Q: How do I make characters walk and talk at the same time?
    A: Refer to http://forums.episodeinteractive.com...-the-same-time

Q: How do I add sound and music to my story?
    A: Refer to this guide. If you need more help, Look at this thread for adding sound, or this one for adjusting the volume.

Q: I followed the sound and music guide but I can't hear it when I play my story. What is wrong?
    A: If you're using an Android device, you may not be able to hear the sound because there is a problem with sound on some devices.

Originally posted by Cass View Post
    Are you on Android? We've found that on some Android devices, sound has been buggy and not playing. We are working to get a fix out for this soon.
    Otherwise, on your app, click Navigation > Reset Story Progress and try again.

Q: How do I make a character appear on the screen without entering?
    A:
    Code:
    @CHARACTER stands POSITION
    Refer to http://forums.episodeinteractive.com...thout-entering

Q: How do I make a character disappear? / How do I remove a character?
    A:
    Code:
    @remove CHARACTER
    Refer to http://forums.episodeinteractive.com...cter-disappear

Q: How do I make a character sit?
    A: You can use the sits or sits lower commands.
    Code:
    @CHARACTER sits lower POSITION
    @CHARACTER sits POSITION
    Refer to this thread.

Q: How do I get a character to drive a car?
    A: You need to use a background that is both looping and has a car overlay. Refer to this thread for more details.

Q: What is the concept of character points?
    A: It is explained at the bottom of this guide. Or see it as explained by Meegs and as explained by G_Mugen.
    NOTE: There is a bug with adding character points for characters whose names contain spaces.

Q: How do I get a male and female character to dance together / slow dance?
    A: Look at this example script. More details are in this thread.

Q: How to I use props with an animation?
    A: Refer to this thread. Note that some animations come with props, and it is not recommended to use props with them. There are also some unlisted animations that do have props.

Q: How do I get a character to walk backwards?
    A: Have the character face the opposite direction when walking. Refer to this thread for more details.

Q: How do I get a character to face the rear/turn around?
    A: You need to use one of the rear animations. Refer to this thread.
    Last edited by WL.; 06-05-2016, 02:51 AM.

Character Outfits

Q: How do I keep outfit choices on a character?

Q: How to get a character to change into an outfit picked in a previous episode?

Spot Directing and Zooming
    Q: How do I make kids or children in stories? / How do I change a character's size? / How do I make a character bigger or smaller?
    A: Refer to How to make characters larger or smaller? Or if you want more details on how to make children, see this post.

Q: How do I make small characters walk?

Q: How do I get characters to lie down on a bed?
    A: Refer to the Spot Cheat Sheet (v2) or its Google Docs version.
    Any further discussion should go in the thread How do I get my character to lay in a bed.

Q: My character in the bed is covering up the other characters. How can I get them to layer correctly?
    A: Read the note on the Spot Cheat Sheet. Post in this thread if you need more help.

Q: How can I zoom in or out?
    A: The basic syntax is:
    Code:
    @zoom on X Y to % in s
    See this guide for more details, or refer to this thread.

Layering Characters/Overlays
    Q: How do I place a character behind the counter in the bakery scene? Or the cafe? How about the bar?
    A: Refer to this thread. There are two main ways to do this:
    1) You need to use a scene that has an overlay. On the portal, the name usually will include "OL" to indicate that the background comes with an overlay.
    2) Add your own overlay. Refer to the announcement.

Q: How do I get a character to take a selfie?

Q: Can I put a character in front of an overlay and another behind?
    A: Not at the moment. Refer to this thread for discussion.

Q: My character in the bed is covering up the other characters. How can I get them to layer correctly?
    A: Read the note on the Spot Cheat Sheet. Post in this thread if you need more help.

Q: In my kissing scene, the girl appears above the guy! How do I fix this?
    A: It really depends on the position of the guy and girl. Look at Character Positioning Help for Kissing Scenes.

Deleting Things
    Q: How do I delete a story / episode / character / outfit / _____?
    A: Please read this guide first. It should answer all your questions.

However, if you do have further questions, they should go in the appropriate threads:
    - Deleting an entire story
    - Deleting an episode
    - Deleting a character

Other Misc. Questions
    Q: How long must my story be before I can submit it? How many lines or words do I need?

Q: How do I make an icon?
    A: Refer to this thread which covers different methods.

Q: How do I upload icons and story card images for my story on the portal?

If your question is not here, please search for an answer first. If you need help with searching the forums, look at How to Search the Forum for Answers.
    If you still cannot find an answer, then start a new topic.
    Last edited by WL.; 06-13-2016, 05:25 PM.

Comment

• Pali
      Pali commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much! This helped a lot.
Working...
X