Announcement

Collapse

IMPORTANT TWR ANNOUNCEMENT

**~~ANNOUNCEMENT!~~** All The Writers' Room members please check the TWR forums for an important new thread! Your feedback is wanted for this exciting announcement & thanks for being part of the team! - JB
See more
See less

How helpful would you find Episode video tutorials?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How helpful would you find Episode video tutorials?

Hey everyone,

Really wanted to get your thoughts on video tutorials for writers!
    • How helpful do you think these would be for you? Do you think you would learn how to direct/write better with video tutorial help?
    • If you think they would be helpful, what kind of tutorials would you like to see?
    • Are there any particular Episode tutorials (or other resources) you've found to be really helpful when looking for help with the writer portal?
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

What i need to know is when will more props come for the ink and when i move my characters to a different spot it wont show their feet!!!!

Comment

Ik your doing your best but when?!?!

Comment

And I don't think the video would help I need help on somethings and I need an example script to help me to understand what I need to do

Comment

It would be really helpful for me. I'd really like to watch a video about "eliminating choices" because it's still hard for me to figure it out .

Comment

i would find that videos tutorials would help a lot as im new to all this and i get stuck a lot and i'm more of a visual and hearing learner than a reader as i find those guide a bit too complicated for someone with dyslexia

i get stuck on commands , errors alot
            Last edited by jlou12; 03-03-2016, 03:16 PM.

Comment

• Kimmy_Marie126
              Kimmy_Marie126 commented
              Editing a comment
              OMG Me too!! I'm brand new and I can't even introduce my main character. I keep getting errors! I need so much help right now.

• Kimmy_Marie126
              Kimmy_Marie126 commented
              Editing a comment
              I just saw the date you posted this. You must be a pro by now...

I don't think video tutorials would help me very much since learning to write in Episode is not so much a matter of seeing the steps visually, but rather one of knowing the correct code.
            I think the most helpful thing that Episode could do would be to further developinteractive tutorials.

For instance, with the Guide episodes, rather than just following along, writers could have to fill them in as templates using a given set of commands. In other words, a Guide would come as a template with blank spaces. It would also come with a list of provided commands/code. For example:

The template might look like this:

[BACKGROUND]

[SPEAKER]
            Welcome to the story. I'm the narrator so I'll be explaining things.

[@CHARACTER 1 enters]
            [@CHARACTER 2 enters]

[CHARACTER (animation)]

And the list of commands might look like this:

@JEMAA enters from left to screen right

INT. CLASSROOM DESK - DAY

MARY (talk_unsure)

Hi Mary! Ready for the test today?

Also, I think the most useful thing would be one resource that contains all the possible commands. It seems like the current "All Directing Commands" guide is missing a lot and contains a lot more explanation. It would be cool to have a book with all the commands broken down by functions (entering/exiting, speaking, moving etc) but with explanations kept separate so its easy distinguish.
            Last edited by Metaforest; 03-03-2016, 07:14 PM.

Comment

There already is some by Joseph Evans in YouTube and I've found them very helpful. Here.

Comment

• FlameFox
                FlameFox commented
                Editing a comment
                I watched some, but the commands are not working right for me. I am typing them correctly. Its kinda annoying really. I would have likd it if the creators made a video. Still would have been helpful.

• cassiedash
                cassiedash commented
                Editing a comment
                Me too! I actually like his better because he actually breaks down the codes so you can type along and follow. It's great for a beginner like myself.

• Nadia K.
                Nadia K. commented
                Editing a comment
                These are great, Elle! Thanks for linking to Joseph Evans' tutorials! He's one of my favorite authors on Episode, too.

Originally posted by Elle M. Pencils View Post
              There already is some by Joseph Evans in YouTube and I've found them very helpful. Here.
              Same here. They helped me A LOT.

Comment

• MariaV
                MariaV commented
                Editing a comment
                Thay helped me too!

It would be great! I'm always watching YouTube tutorials when I'm starting something new, but there's not many episode video tutorials!

Comment

I know. I think people from the forums who knows the episode directings and scripting well, shuld do YouTube tutorials (If they have the time to do so ).
                Last edited by IvynG; 03-05-2016, 02:07 PM. Reason: I wrote it wrong lol.

Comment

I just need help figuring out how to do an avatar creator

Comment

I haven't tried videos, but I feel like they wouldn't help much. I learn best by doing, not by watching or reading. It took me months to really get the hang of directing but I finally got it by trying things out on my own. I found the written instructions to be too confusing. Maybe I'd watch some videos on complex choices and minigames.

Comment

Check out the youtube account of Mr.Evans. You'll find the video tutorials on how to do basic directing. Complex choice, dressing games and everything else. His youtube channel is: Joseph Evans.

Comment

• How helpful do you think these would be for you? I think these tools would be very helpful to the people who are visual learners. I myself am more of a hands on kind of person. Once I see someone do something, I can usually do it a second time myself know problem.
                      • Do you think you would learn how to direct/write better with video tutorial help? I think this would be GREAT for writers who are just beginning. The guides currently provided aren't very helpful, and because of that I learned most things through a lot of trial and error. It would have been great to have video's when I was first starting out.
                      • If you think they would be helpful, what kind of tutorials would you like to see? The number one question people ask me is about Spot directing. Mainly creating "child" sized characters. Zoom, Branching/Gains, a basic choice vs a complicated choice, and the name label are also things commonly asked. Video's of these things would help people A LOT in my opinion.
                      • Are there any particular Episode tutorials (or other resources) you've found to be really helpful when looking for help with the writer portal? I've made a bunch of "cheat sheets" for myself on pretty much everything from stuff I've found randomly on the forums. I've seen on IG that Joseph Evans has a YouTube tutorial, but I haven't checked it out for myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X