Announcement

Collapse

It's Time to Move! (Open Beta)

You read it right! We are pleased to announce that the new forums have progressed from Closed Beta to Open Beta and everyone is invited! You can now join us here and begin leaving us feedback here! Thanks to the entire Episode community for your awesome contributions and being part of the Episode Community fam! - The Episode Community Team
See more
See less

Spot directing in different zones (Guide)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been eyeing this thread & guide for a bit. Thanks to EpisodeMichelle for taking the time to compile, develop, create and maintain this. It seems to have been very beneficial to lot's of authors. I have gone ahead and stickied this in the Directing Help & Tips section.

Comment

• EpisodeMichelle
      EpisodeMichelle commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jeremy! Glad some users are finding it helpful.

thank you so much for sharing this. I was so glad when I figured this out a while ago... Although I do it a bit of a different way. I just zoom the scene out, throw the character where i want it, record the numbers and bam You know, because I'm not mathy... lol

Comment

• EpisodeMichelle
      Editing a comment
      I do that sometimes too! Good tip.

Why didn't I think of this before? Thank you so much! You've just saved me from TONS of horribly directed scenes.

Comment

• EpisodeMichelle
      Editing a comment
      No problem! Happy directing

I want for my characters to be kissing while the transition fade in is happening but my characters are poping after the transition is done someone please help me!!!

Comment

• Dara Amarie
      Dara Amarie commented
      Editing a comment
      Use the ampersand sign &, not the at sign @, and put the kissing commands before the transition.

&CHARACTER blah blah
      @transition fade in

• Gabriela K
      Gabriela K commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much

All I did was this:

INT. WHATEVER SCENE - NIGHT/DAY
    &zoom reset and speechbubble reset and cut to zone 1
    &CHARACTER spot .758 -200 420 in zone 1 and CHARACTER moves to layer []
    @CHARACTER walks to spot .758 120 420 in [] and CHARACTER moves to layer []

&pan to zone 3 in []
    @CHARACTER walks to spot .758 760 420 in [] and CHARACTER moves to layer []

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just make sure to add 320 on the number in red to go to zone 2 (if your character is already in zone 1) and 640 to go to zone 3 (if your character is already in zone 1). And make sure you type the same time where I the brackets in blue to make it go in synchronized.

Comment

Thank you so much!

Comment

Can someone help me out here? I can get the characters to go to the spots I want them to, but one character, no matter what I do, keeps turning into a giantess. I've fiddled around with the directing helper so many times, but it remains the same in the preview. A little help please?

Comment

• WolfGamerGirl37
          WolfGamerGirl37 commented
          Editing a comment
          I read something about you can change the height by changing the 250 part of 1. 250 80 0. I can't remember where I saw it but it was in one of the sticky notes in Directing help and tips forum.

• EpisodeMichelle
          Editing a comment
          1.250 is the default height of your character, you can change it to any value to make your character larger or smaller. If you character is becoming too big, perhaps you are forgetting the period? It helps to use a 0 if you are making your character smaller, ie: 0.250

• WolfGamerGirl37
          WolfGamerGirl37 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for that information! I knew I saw something about height but I couldn't remember which part of the number they had changed.

Hello,
        I am new on the Episode Forum and i don't even know how to post a question when we have a problem...
        I hope this time it's going to work !
        So, before writting that I searched through the Forum the solution of my issue searching for "characters
        wrong direction", "wrong direction" and "the character don't go in the good direction" but I didn't find anything about this problem.

Hence, i have :

INT. CAFETERIA - DAY

@transition fade in black in 1
        Jade walks to spot 1.25 188 0 in zone 1 THEN JADE faces right AND JADE starts idle
        Manon walks to spot 1.25 70 1 in zone 1 THEN MANON faces right AND MANON starts idle

I want both my characters to enter (so, side by side) from left to left (for Manon ) and to the center (for Jade).
        I have no problem with the spot direction of Jade.
        However with the character Manon, she won't enter from left, as i asked (or as Jade do).
        She always comes from right to her position.
        I tried a lot of things to make her come from left (and not from right) but without success.

I hope my explanation is clear enough...
        Maybe somebody coul give me an hand please.
        That would be really nice of you.

@sicyricci.episode

Comment

• Dara Amarie
          Dara Amarie commented
          Editing a comment
          You have to put "enters from left to spot 1.25 70 1"

Or if you want them to enter the scene with the scale size 1.25, you have to spot place them offscreen to the left before you make them walk.

• Sicy Ricci
          Sicy Ricci commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you really much for your spead and correct answer. It didn't work at first but when i suppress " in zone 1" , it did work.
          So thank you one more time.
      Working...
      X