Announcement

Collapse

IMPORTANT TWR ANNOUNCEMENT

**~~ANNOUNCEMENT!~~** All The Writers' Room members please check the TWR forums for an important new thread! Your feedback is wanted for this exciting announcement & thanks for being part of the team! - JB
See more
See less

How To RP/SG

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To RP/SG

HOW TO RP/SG

We've all experienced the feeling where you just can't figure out what's going on when you are here in the Roleplaying and Story Games section. In fact, if you're reading this, you still may not. I was once in that position, but after a while I figured it out. Here's a tutorial I have created to help all the new users understand what is going on here in the RP and SG section. Without further ado, here is the tutorial!

SLANG

There are a lot of terms we use in this part of the forums, and they can be confusing. Here are some of them:

RP: Short for roleplay
    SG: Short for story game
    FCs: Short for faceclaims
    ORP: Saying something out of the roleplay as you, not your character. So when I use ORP, I am speaking as AwesomeAnon, not as my character.
    Approachable: Someone can come and talk to your character.
    Dead RP- An RP that people have lost interested in and have stopped posting on.

Both roleplays and story games start with the signups. These are threads that have "Sign ups" in the title so you know it is a sign up. They have a description of the roleplay or story game, the prompt or plot. They also have a sign up form, which could be a Google Form or a form that you copy and paste and write in the answers, then repost on the thread. You talk about their bio, or biography, personality, etc. You also include a face claim, a link or image of what you want your character to look like. Here is an example:

Username:
    Bio:
    Personality:
    Faceclaim:
    Other:

And here would be that same form, filled out in case anyone didn't understand what I meant when I said writing in the answers and reposting it on the thread. It would be the same on a Google Form because you will still fill out the answers.

Username: AwesomeAnon
    Character Name: Violet Goldberry
    Bio: Violet had a happy, typical, and sometimes even boring life with her twin sister, Theresa. But when they were ten, their world was completely changed when their parents got divorced. Since then they have been going from one house to the other. Eventually, the sisters got through it but it has made an impact on them.
    Personality: Violet is sweet and positive. She is very optimistic and she likes to try and make other people feel better. You can usually find her with a smile on her face. She usually supports other people to the best of her ability and will always be there to help someone.
    Face claim: http://cdn.pcwallart.com/images/shay...allpaper-4.jpg
    Other: N/A

Lastly, before you signup for an RP, make sure the sign ups are open. Sometimes people will close the signups after they start the RP. Some will remain open after they start and you can still jump in. But you have to make sure they are open before signing up.

FACECLAIMS AND STARTING OFF

Once you've signed up for an RP or an SG, your character will be put into something called the Faceclaims. A faceclaim is what you want your character to look like, but the Faceclaims are a Google Slides created by the owner of an RP/ SG. It shows all the characters in the RP/SG and their traits. You can see who else is in the RP or SG.

Starting off RPs: The official thread will be posted by the owner of the RP. Now, the RPing begins. The owner of the RP tells you where and when you are starting. For example, if it was a high school RP, the owner could say, "All the characters are arriving at school on their first day of school." Then everyone starts posting from there. (Read RP section for more!)

Starting off SGs: The official thread will be posted by the owner of the SG. All you have to do is read it and have your character made a choice. (Read SG section for more!)

ROLEPLAYING

Now, you can get to the actual RPing! When you are RPing, you are posting about your character, their actions, their thoughts, and what they see/hear/touch etc, and what they feel. Many RPers have different styles of posting. Present tense, past tense, first person, and third person are all commonly used and all acceptable. Here are some examples of ways people use:

​​​​​​​--------------------------------------

Violet

She walked into the school, excited and nervous all at the same time. It would be okay though, since she had her sister with her no matter what.

Violet

I walk into the school, excited and nervous all at the same time. It would be okay though, since I had my sister with me no matter what.

--------------------------------------

Violet walked into the school, excited and nervous all at the same time. It would be okay though, since she had her sister with her no matter what.

Obviously there are several more ways to do this, but these are the three most common here on the forums. As the RP goes on, people will start to approach your character and you will have conversations. If you want people to know your character is approachable, just do this: ORP: Approachable! You can control multiple characters at once too.

STORY GAMES

Story Games are very different than roleplays, in fact, they live in opposite worlds. The signup process is the same as RPs, and SGs have Faceclaims as well. But other than that, they are completely different. In an SG, the creator of the SG will write chapters. It will be the prompt that plays out with your characters. At the end of the chapters, you have your character make a choice.
    Here is a quick example:

Violet looked around and brushed some of her hair behind her ear. She wondered who to talk to. She saw two girls. One had long, black hair and was reading. The other had bouncy platinum blonde hair and was using her phone.

Theresa stood behind Violet. She wanted to get out of her comfort zone and not be stuck to her sister's side. On one hand, she could walk away from her sister, but on the other hand, she could stay with her.

Julie pulled her long brown hair into a ponytail. She checked her phone for a minute and then walked out of the hallway to the library. After reading for a bit, she decided to do something else. She could go anywhere in the school.

CHOICE GUIDE:
    @ Violet'sCreator Who should Violet talk to?
    @ Theresa'sCreator Should Theresa leave or stay with her sister?
    @ Julie'sCreator What should Julie do now?

At this point, you will PM your choices to the owner of the SG so they can start writing the next chapter based on your choices. It is based on the situation they get put in by the creator of the SG. The SG will continue with the creator writing chapters until it comes to an end.

Here is a quote that can help you remember the difference: "An SG is more like Episode, while RP is just free-styling on the go."

I really hope this helped anyone who needed help with figuring out what everything meant and how to do what we do here on the forums.

HAVE FUN HERE!

Oooooh, absolutely love this, so would've been helpful when I first got here- amazing job Anon!
    Jeremy or Caylie Moore or Miss Molly or any other mod- is there any chance we could have this stickied as a reference post?

Comment

Thanks so much! I’ve been confused about Story Game’s for a while, it really helps to have someone clarify it!

Comment

Hey! I made the exact same thing!

Comment

Also, the quote I used to explain the difference between RP and SG was not made up by me.

Comment

Why is this not stickied? It shouldn't be ignored!

I'll keep bumping it up.

Comment

• AwesomeAnon
            AwesomeAnon commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you

omg this is so cute!!! if I had this when I first got on I would've been way better off! such a clever little idea. new members will love it! 💕 bloody brilliant.

Comment

This is fantastic, it would have been really helpful to me when I first got here! Hope this gets stickied!

Comment

Oh dang I didn't notice this got stickied! Thanks whichever mod did it!

Comment

• Mehek
                Mehek commented
                Editing a comment
                It was Jeremy lol, he mentioned it in the New Ideas Thread. Woo! *takes out my pinata and party hats*

• Mehek
                Mehek commented
                Editing a comment
                It was Jeremy lol, he mentioned it in New Ideas. Woo! *takes out pinata and party hats*

Please read the How to RP/SG guide above before reading this! Thanks AwesomeAnon for letting me do this c:

A Guide to Mary Sues
              (or Gary Stus)

What is a Mary Sue?

A Mary Sue (or Gary Stu for males) is a perfect character. They have no flaws, no weakness, and are absolutely perfection! These characters are generally frowned upon as they don't bring a lot to the RP/SG except a perfect being.

How can I spot a Mary Sue?
              Usually a Mary Sue's sign-up form may look something like this:

Username: TheBluGeek
              Character's Name: Julia Strone
              Species: 1/2 Angel, 1/4 Demon, 1/4 Human
              Bio: Julia was born to an angel and a half-human, half-demon being. She was raised with love and care and everything went her way. She was very popular in school and got great grades. Everyone wanted to be her friend and she loved everything no matter how small or how big they were. She spread love everywhere and soon began to become famous. She met the love of her life later on and they are engaged now.
              Personality: Julia is extremely popular and loving. She cares for everything and everyone and they all love her in return. She enjoys donating to the poor and those in need and often wants to get others to pitch in and help as well.
              Powers: Julia has the power of flight, telekinesis, darkness, light, speed, teleportation, shape-shifting and more that will be later discovered and activated.
              Weaknesses/Flaws: Julia has none.

Do you see why this is a Mary Sue? This character is way too perfect!!!

How can I avoid making a Mary Sue?

It's actually quite easy to avoid making one of these pesky perfect beings! Here are some tips to use:

1. While the bio does not have to have anything bad happen it is good to perhaps use a small incident such as an injury when your character was younger as a way to implement a flaw.

2. Your personality can be perfect as well but I suggest adding a flaw in there such as they care too much about everyone or that they have anger issues.

3. Make sure they have some type of weakness so they are not too powerful.

4. Try to make sure their powers are not too OP such as insta-kill and such!

5. Suggested by Cam Boulder Having a TOO tragic past can also be a Mary Sue trait! If you want to have disaster try not to make it so that its super dark and horrifying... if you do make sure to do research in cases such as mental illnesses and such!

I hope you enjoyed my guide on Mary Sues! Suggestions are always welcome
              Last edited by TheBluGeek; 04-14-2017, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• Mehek
                Mehek commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you SO MUCH for this Blu- it's literally amazing. I laughed a little at the bit where she was 15 and engaged to the love of her life (LOL) but in all seriousness, I was guilty of this in one or two of my first RPs *blushes* and honestly they are really annoying. I'm glad you made a guide to Mary Sues/Gary Stus and avoiding them #StopThePerfections

• TheBluGeek
                TheBluGeek commented
                Editing a comment
                Mehek Awww thanks XD I think we were all guilty of this at one point and you should've seen my original version of the Mary Sue form. She was going to be 1/2 Angel, 1/2 Demon, 1/2 Human, and 1/2 Werewolf XD Yes I realize this adds up to 2 but she's so perfect that she's 200% organism lol

• Cam Boulder
                Cam Boulder commented
                Editing a comment
                This is so great! Thanks for adding it.
                Also... may I add that having an overly tragic past can also be a Mary Sue trait? This is when "Such backstories never actually factor into the story; they're just casually dropped into the narrative to draw attention to the character" and "Most authors tend not to research such tragedies and their effects" (TVTropes)
                Last edited by Cam Boulder; 03-20-2017, 10:56 AM.

I didn't know where to ask this so I decided to use this thread
              Lately I've seen some RP/SG's and I'm curious about how that works. I mean to what extent is it a RP? How much of a SG is it?

Comment

• AwesomeAnon
                AwesomeAnon commented
                Editing a comment
                Good question Cam. I will try to answer it ASAP since these things are new and I've seen only a few of them. I'll write about them and tag you when I am done.

• Cam Boulder
                Cam Boulder commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you

I find it much more common for RPers to use 'OC' or 'OOC' than 'ORP'. In fact, this is the first time I've stumbled across it. Now, I'm not saying it isn't/it shouldn't be used here, but I feel like I should forewarn people - newbies specifically - that 'OC' and 'OOC' is used more than 'ORP' in the general roleplaying community.

Also, if you're ever in need of writing advice, you should check out Terrible Writing Advice, where J.P. Beaubien creates these hilarious videos giving writing "advice" in a hilariously sarcastic way. You should definitely check him out. Beginner or someone who has written for year, either way he is honestly a delight to listen to.

@TheBluGeek made a great guide about Mary Sues above, but I would like to add a few things.

1) A Mary Sue often does have flaws. However, these flaws are crafted in such an annoying way that it makes you want to pull your hair out reading them. For example, say my character is this sweet, loving, and humble (but beautiful) girl who is extremely selfless to the point of fault. She puts everyone's desires over hers, which is great, but when that is the only flaw she has... Oh god, help me.

2) Mary Sues are often is OP as hell (they got these amazing kickass powers) but the writer always seems to "conveniently" forget Mary Sue is kickass. One of the most annoying things about her is when Mary Sue has awesome karate skills but somehow is always desperately helpless.

3) You want an easy way to make sure your character is not a Mary Sue? Don't self-insert. What I find most common (and I'm guilty of doing this when I first began writing), Mary Sues (or Gary Sues) are made by beginners who want to be the main character with all these things happening to them and then... well... they kind of create an idealized version of themselves. If you really want to self-insert without creating a Mary Sue, you will have to be brutally honest with yourself. Asking others to be honest about their opinion of you may also help. All and all, basically destroy every last bit of your ego and self-worth.

5) If you want to save your self-worth without creating a Mary Sue, try to come up with an original character not based on yourself. If you're having a problem coming up with ideas, observe from real life! Many artists will tell you to observe from real life when you start out drawing. The same applies to writing. It is okay to base your characters off of real life relatives, friends, acquaintances, etc. Now, that doesn't mean you should create exact replicas (although I suppose if it fits your story, no one has to know it's an insert for someone in real life). We still want to use our creativity, right? But creativity works best with structure.

6) One else bit: for the sake of everyone's sanity, try to stay away from cliches. Keep in mind cliches and tropes are not the same thing. Tropes are plots, characters, and elements of a story that are recognizable. Cliches are predictable and overly used tropes that readers groan in boredom at. Now, cliches do tend to be subjective, so my best advice for you is to create the story you want to create. Take inspiration from the real life and the world of books, TV shows, and movies. When using tropes, figure out ways to diverge the trope. Create plot twists. Make it unique. Just don't put all your mental effort into creating a cliche-less story. I may not have conveyed my message completely, so I would like to refer you to Adam Heine's explanation which does a far better job explaining.
              Last edited by SnowyKcnomre; 06-30-2017, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X