Announcement

Collapse

It's Time to Move! (Open Beta)

You read it right! We are pleased to announce that the new forums have progressed from Closed Beta to Open Beta and everyone is invited! You can now join us here and begin leaving us feedback here! Thanks to the entire Episode community for your awesome contributions and being part of the Episode Community fam! - The Episode Community Team
See more
See less

Offering reviews

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offering reviews

Hi! <3 I'm in the mood for doing reviews again.
    They're free, I don't want anything in return, but I only have so much time, so I will most likely only review the first episode of your story.
    Feel free to tell me if there's anything you'd like me to focus on (e g suspension of disbelief, your protagonist's personality, pacing, whatever).

Reviews are always a subjective thing, but I'll try to be contructive!
    I'm by no means an expert (and I'm not a native speaker), but I read a lot, I write a lot, I have a couple of books on writing, not to mention I'm writing a featured story for Episode. I'm hoping we can all learn from each other.

You can contact me on Insta as well: vidi.episode
    Last edited by viidii; 02-12-2018, 01:29 PM.

Hey there! I’d love it if you could check out my story and tell me what you think.

Title: Breach of Contract
    Author: Chelsea
    Genre: Action
    Episodes: 6 (on going)
    Description: Fixated on revenge, she becomes a deadly assassin living by a strict set of rules. Will she be tempted to break them?
    IG: episode.chels
    Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/5056498540216320

Thank you so much! ❤️

Comment

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      You're welcome
      I hope I didn't come across as patronizing with that. It's a bit hard to give advice when you don't know the rest of the plot.

• chelsv4
      chelsv4 commented
      Editing a comment
      No problem at all. I completely understand why one could assume that. With all the cliche stories out there, it's hard not to assume how the plot is going to go. It's only natural. <3

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      Great, I'm happy you see that

Hi. I'd really appreciate it if you could check out my new Story and give me your feedback.

Title: Beware, My heart
    Author: Raeesa
    Genre: Romance
    Episodes: 4 (ongoing)
    Description: You've had a bad experience with love but against all odds you find it again in an older man. The only problem: your evil mother has eyes on him too.
    Instagram: episode.raeesa
    Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/5974779849474048

You can DM me your feedback on Instagram if you want.

Thank you❤

Comment

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi. I've read the first episode, here's my review:
      Nice directing choices. It's cinematic. The ending shot with the lanterns is very nice!
      You do have some grammar mistakes and missing punctuation. I'd suggest going through the story and working on the grammar again. Or, if you don't want to do that/aren't sure if you can, you could ask somebody on the forums/somewhere else to help you.
      I'd suggest saying your dialogue out loud. Play it out like you're doing a play. That always helps me, maybe it's helpful for you too.
      I might be mistaken, but I think you didn't have any choices (or not a lot). That's something a lot of writers do and you don't HAVE to have choices. But if you want a lot of people to read it, it would help to have more choices.
      The characters definitely seem likeable so far. Father-daughter interactions are always sweet!
      I don't have instagram, but I hope this works for you as well.

• R.A
      R.A commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much for the review. Will take your suggestions into account

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      You're welcome! Always happy to help!

Thanks a lot for starting this thread! Here's my story.

[DEMON GOD]

"You never know, he's the God to this world."

Author: E.Z.
    Genre: Fantasy
    Style: Ink
    Chapters: 7 (on going)
    Instagram: @e.z.episode
    Description: He starved himself for three hundred years in order to abide by a woman's promise. Everyone in Devildom is waiting for him to die.
    Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/4678673313693696

Comment

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi! Here's my review of the first episode:
      It's well directed! Especially the part where she wakes up and it looks like she's in a normal room and then you pan over to the prison doors? That's great!
      I've never read anything with a plot like this. It's not my genre, but I think you have a pretty unique plot, based on the first episode and the description.
      The cliffhanger is good and people will definitely want to read on.

A couple of suggestions:
      You do have some grammar issues and weird expressions as I'm sure you know. Since I remember you saying English isn't your first language, perhaps you could get somebody to read over it and help you with that. You could ask on the forums or somewhere else. I'm sure you'll find somebody who's willing to help with that.
      I think you had no choices whatsoever. You don't HAVE to have choices, but more people will want to read the story if there are choices. If you don't want to create any plot relevant choices, you could offer character costumization (possibly only to a certain degree) and clothing choices at least.
      Is Devildom the name of the world? Or is it "the devildom" like "the kingdom"? Because then you should add "the". Since it's capitalized, I'm assuming it's the name, but it's a bit confusing.

• Castino
      Castino commented
      Editing a comment
      viidii Wow thank you very much for all these words! You really helped me a lot.

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      that's great, I'm always happy to help!

Thank you for this
    My story called: WHEN SOUTH MEETS WEST
    INK, ROMANCE
    http://episodeinteractive.com/s/5031565685686272
    Follow me on INSTA; @samayeta.episode

Comment

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi! Here's my review, based on the first episode.
      It's definitely a touching story! Stories about finding a second love and dealing with grief like that touch people.
      Your directing is great and the backgrounds are very nice!

I do have a couple of suggestions:
      I'd cut the introduction part in the beginning. Just cut it completely and jump right into the story. That way, the reader is immediately pulled in. Readers like to start with some action.
      You have a lot of moments with long narration and nothing happening in the background. You should either add more animation in the background or cut some narration. You want a lot of dialogue and visuals and not a lot of exposition since Episode is a very visual medium.
      I do realize that the flashback parts are necessary, but I always try not to have a lot of those. Flashbacks often pull readers out of the story (at least me), especially if there's a lot of time skips.
      Would it be possible to add a cliffhanger at the end of the first chapter? You don't have to force one, though.

• Samayita Kanjilal
      Samayita Kanjilal commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, first of all thank you very much for this review.. I'll try to cut some scenes from the flashbacks. I think you're right. About the cliffhanger I'll definitely try! Thank you very much 😍 it means a lot to me.

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      Amazing, I'm very happy that you found it helpful! You're welcome!

The name of my story is A Guitar Named Hope, I'm in the process of retouching it (adding idle background characters and more zooming and panning). Lmk what you think! Thanks so much!

Comment

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      If you agree with me on the last point (and it's okay if you don't), perhaps you can make her only worry about not having any own songs without worrying about her skills per se. Or you can tone down her confidence a bit in the beginning.

• Janely272
      Janely272 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much for taking the time to read my first chapter and giving me such a lengthy critique. Sometimes, when we look at something for too long we become accustomed to it and don't see the mistakes or things that may need improvement. I was afraid that's what had happened to me, I've read over my story so many times I feel like I've lost touch of the reader's perspective at what may seem weird to them. I will definitely go through and make some changes.
      Thanks again!

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree, I think about the same things with the things I write.
      You're very welcome, I like to help

I would love a review. Thanks for this btw.

Title: Struck by Cupid
    Author: Tahirah G.
    Description: After a devestating accident leaves playboy Daniel in a coma, he is given a second chance to play Cupid for his awkward co-worker.
    IG: episode.tahirahg
    Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/5816910085881856

Comment

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi! You gave me the wrong link, but it's okay, I found it.
      Here's my review, based on the first episode.
      Your story has an interesting plot, I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. It has a lot of potential!
      The beginning scene where we play Spot The Main Character was cute.
      I do have some suggestions, though:
      You shouldn't just take the default characters Episode offers you. I always give them different hairstyles, clothes, features, something.
      You do have some grammar mistakes/typos (like you're vs your). They're small, but they're there.
      Do we need flashbacks to all of her past boyfriends? if we do, can we spread them out over the story and get into the main plot earlier? if you want to show that she’s only had bad relationships, you could show just one breakup at the start of the story
      I'd also cut the exposition at the beginning. You want to pull your reader into the story immediately, so I wouldn't pause the action and write five Narrator lines about how she can afford a nice apartment.
      You could also include some more choices. You don't HAVE to have choices, but more people will want to read the story if there are choices.

I think readers will want to read on after the first chapter. It's cute.

• passionatewriter_tahirah
      Editing a comment
      viidii Thank you, I definitely will take your feedback into consideration.

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm happy if I can help

Id like a review please!
    Title: A Golden Apple
    Drama/Romance
    Ink
    ”Lily is disowned by her evil parents. Life is chaos all while love is working it’s way in.”
    IG:nic.day.episodes
    http://episodeinteractive.com/s/4682000658726912

Comment

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Based on the first chapter, here's my review.
      It's a bit short, but you know that. I liked it, but I dont know what plot you have planned out exactly. From what I see, it seems like an unusual storyline, so I think the story has a lot of potential.
      I do have a suggestion: There's a lot of exposition. You pause the story a lot to narrate over what's happening. Do you think you could cut some of that? Show it instead of telling it? We dont need the narrator to introduce every single person if we can see their personalities in their actions as well

I'd love a review Basically based on the first chapter I want to know if you'd actually want to continue reading.
    Title: A Twist Of Faith
    Author: Lexi Lu
    Description- Faith's life does a complete 180 when Destiny shows up in her room to explain Faith must save her old friend Damian's life, and her own. Will she be able to in time?
    Link - linktr.ee/episode.lexilu
    IG - episode.lexilu

Comment

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi
      Your story is very interactive! Great directing! And it seems like you have an unusual plot line.
      I actually don't have any suggestions. I'm gonna be honest, it's not my favorite genre. But it's a good story, I'm sure you can be very successful with it, depending on how the plot continues
      As for whether people will keep reading... I think so, but you need a flash forward or something in the beginning, or maybe a cliffhanger at the end. Having her see an old childhood friend again isn't too exciting when you don't know that there's exciting things coming. Or perhaps have Destiny show up a bit earlier and say some cryptic stuff.

Hey, guys ,please check out my story and give me some feedback 🙂

Title: Where do we go from here?
    Author: Lawful Evil
    Genre: Mystery
    Episodes: 7 ongoing
    Description: Have you ever heard about a miracle? No? Let the story show you the world of magic, spells and poisons.
    Style: INK
    Link:http://episodeinteractive.com/s/6330841475842048
    ig: lawful.evil_

Comment

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi!
      Your plot is interesting. I think the reader will want to read on with an ending like that. I've never seen a story that was based on Russian mythology or set in Russia. I love the fashion choices you make. I wouldn't wear them, but I love them.
      You directing is good.
      Two suggestions: I think you might get more readers if you mention in the description what makes your story unique. Because there's a lot of stories out there about magic, but you're not writing a basic story.
      The mean Girl is quite the clichee, tbh. Do you think you can perhaps make her a bit less cliche? If you want to keep her character as is, I think you still don't need to have the narrator introduce her.

• lawful evil
      lawful evil commented
      Editing a comment
      viidii thank you for your suggestions

I'm not sure if I can make a good story description, I actually want to change it. But dk in what words to describe it.

The mean girl is as cliche, because all means girls even in Russia are the same 😅 she's a background characters and not important for the story line.

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm always happy to help
      I'd suggest a description, but I've only read the first chapter, so I don't know what happens in the whole story. But I'm sure you can come up with something good.
      haha, you can't hide from basic mean girls anywhere

Hey! I'm Lisa , This is my first story on episodes, I would really appreciate it if you could check it out!

Title: I Can Do This?!
    Author: Lisa.p
    Genre: Drama
    Chapters: 5 ongoing
    Description: An absent father, ill mother, childish brother and dull college life were Violet's main worries until a dark secret is revealed. Will this cause Violet's tough persona to crumble?

Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/4780615129497600

Thank you!

Comment

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi! Based on the first chapter, here's my review:
      It's a good story but it's a bit hard for me to tell yet where it's going. There are a lot of creative ways it can go.It's cute!
      You do have some grammar mistakes/typos (stuff like your vs you're).

I have a couple of suggestions:
      I'd cut some of the exposition/narration. Cut everything that's not absolutely vital. Episode is a very visual medium, after all. We dont need an introduction for every character. It's more fun to find out about them as the story goes on
      You could include some more choices.
      Do you think you can perhaps include a cliffhanger at the end or a flash forward in the beginning, something to make sure the readers keep reading?

• lisa.p
      lisa.p commented
      Editing a comment
      Hii viidii <3

Yeah, my grammar and spelling are not the best but I'm going to get them proofread now! hahaa. I know what you mean about the exposition/narration I will cut down on that. After the first two chapters, there is more drama and cliffhangers as I have got more use to the episode format.
      Thank you sooo much for the feedback! <3

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, you're welcome. I'm always happy to help
      A proofreader is always good to have!
      I know what you mean about having to get used to the episode format. You should see my first story (no, you shouldn't).

Here's my spotlight entry:
    Title: Spotlight: Accidentally Spying On Her
    Author: miss robee
    Genre: romance
    Style: Limelight
    Episodes: 3
    Description: Awkward guy Cyrus is in love with popular girl Ana. When Cyrus decides to woo Ana, an unintended wish turns him into shy girl Elisa's teddy bear! What can Cyrus do?
    Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/5635084391153664

I also have my first story if you want to check it out in your spare time:
    Title: Widened Eyes
    Author: miss robee
    Genre: romance/drama
    Style: Limelight
    Episodes: 10
    Description: A surprise encounter shakes up Mila's quiet life and it looks like that surprise is determined not to let her get away.
    Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/5241798792970240

Comment

• missrobee.episode
      missrobee.episode commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much for reading! I meant to say that Spotlight is more important than my other story and the other one is just in case you have time. Sorry I wasn't able to explain it well.

I'm so glad that you enjoyed it Also thanks for pointing out some errors, whenever I playtest on my phone the app just doesn't work well for me. About adding more choices, I don't think I can make some changes or add anything that would greatly impact the first 3 chapters which are, unfortunately, my whole story. I am asking the episode team about it though so I hope I can get a positive response.

Again thanks so much reading it!

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      You're very welcome! I kind of got what you meant, I just wanted to confirm.
      If you can't edit it, it's fine. The story works without choices. Most don't, really, but it does.

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey! I read the first episode of Widened Eyes, I can give you a quick review.
      It's cute! But a bit short. Perhaps you can add a cliffhanger?
      The same things about choices that I already told you. Perhaps you can include some character customization?
      Also, I'm Not sure you need this much narration/exposition. Do you want to cut some?

Hiya Viidii and thanks so much for offering free reviews. When you get the chance, I would so appreciate if you could check out my stories. Thank you <3

TITLE: Far Away
    DESCRIPTION: At 11, Lucy witnessed a dreadful murder, and found out her life is in danger, which resulted in her staying in an abusive foster home. 5 years later her estranged aunt hides her in a beautiful but dangerous island. Has she gone from the frying pan to the fire hiding on this island?
    AUTHOR: Sinead O'Neill
    GENRE: Romance, action, thriller
    EPISODES: 12 ongoing
    STYLE: Ink
    Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/6639166342430720

TITLE: Safe Again
    DESCRIPTION:A boy with unnatural strength. A girl who died for two days. Both are being pursued. Will they ever be safe again?
    AUTHOR: Sinead O'Neill
    GENRE: Romance, action, thriller
    EPISODES: 20 completed
    STYLE: Ink
    Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/5895587885088768

Comment

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi. I don't know if I'll have the time to review two stories from one writer. Which one is more important right now?

Hi viidii! Would love it if you have the chance to read & review my story

Here's my story details:
    Title: Heading South
    Author: JasmineLilac
    Description: What will you do to prevent things from going south for the second time?
    Genre: Romance
    Episodes: 14 (ongoing)
    Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/5153612251660288
    IG: @jasminelilac.episode

Thank you!

Comment

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      You're very welcome I don't think I can describe your story better than you, but perhaps you could mention something along the lines of "Will something happen again between her and her ex... boyfriend? Friend?" But hey, I've only read the first chapter, so IDK what else happens.

• JasmineLilac
      JasmineLilac commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm okay so something more descriptive, alright I'll think about it! Thanks a lot <3

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      well, it's just a suggestion. ultimately, you're the writer, you know what works better than I do.
      no problem

Hi!

I would love it if you would review my story!

Title: Wild One!
    Author: Kira
    Genre: Drama
    Chapters: 4 so far
    Description: Skye is a wild child that makes a series of bad decisions leading to worse consequences! But you will love her anyway!
    Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/5780089551847424

I know you may only read one chapter, but if you could let me know if you would read another if you had more tine that would be great! I just want to know if it captures interest!

Thank you!

Comment

• viidii
      viidii commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi! Based on the first chapter, here's my opinion.
      Overall a good story with an interesting main character. The directing is good, but could be a bit more elaborate (more background characters, more spot directing). Your cliffhanger is good as well.
      I have two suggestions: You don't need to introduce her friends in the beginning. I'd jump right into the story and cut some of that exposition.
      You don't have a lot of choices. Of course, you don't HAVE to have them, but they attract more readers. Do you think you can include some?
Working...
X