A Basic Guide to Tappable Overlays

I got a reply from Jeremy – and he said that the post is fine being up, he just wants myself and other users to know that this code is quite advanced – and will most likely change in the future. So, problem solved :grimacing:

I’ll be sure to update the post if I notice any changes in the code or anything of the sort.

7 Likes

That moment when your boo explains better than the guide :tired_face:

OOF

This so awesome, but if you want to remember the tapped overlay, what do you do?

It would work the same way as remembering a choice: you just include a gain in the brackets for when the overlay is tapped. To use the example given in the original post, it would look like this:

Then later you’d recall it with if statements like you would any other flag. You can also use points with these.

3 Likes

Oh that makes sense. Thank you!!!

1 Like

Yesssss I’ve been looking for this so hard thank you :kissing_heart:

1 Like

does anyone know when this is getting released yet?

I think they will release it once they are happy with what they accomplished and there are no errors/troubles

OMG it works ha ha ha although I know they will probably change it…
but does anyone know if you can make the overlay move when you tap it or is this still being worked out?

think it works like a normal overlay would

You can. You just have to have the animation to move it inside of the tapping option. So it would be like:
tappable “OVERLAY” {
@overlay OVERLAY shifts to x y
}

1 Like

Thank you so much for this!! I’ll finally be able to make a minigame in my story. I feel like this feature is amazing because it makes the readers have a little more fun while reading

4 Likes

I’ve tried to use this code for text overlays and it worked perfectly at first, But then when I preview my story from my phone, the overlays don’t appear, but they appear perfectly on web preview

Tappable overlays are still in development. Some features don’t work properly at this time and are prone to change. I’m not sure if text overlays work on mobile when you publish the story — as I haven’t tried it.

I would recommend uploading the text as an overlay just to be safe.

thanks but can I use it?

Bumping this :cake:

Sometimes if you restart the app overlays will work again! I have issues with them every now and again. Also, I find overlays work better if I place them with the & symbol rather than the @ symbol :slight_smile:

Hello, I am interested in making a story where I can use tappable overlays so I want to know if it can be use an overlay as in Demi Lovato story to send you to a closet then bring back at the story and stay on your screen all the episod…

That sound like a good idea… at first. I’m just wondering if you were to do that, how would you 1) keep the tappable overlay on the screen the whole episode, and 2) how would the script remember exactly where the reader is in the story. I not saying that it’s not possible. It might be, it might not. I’m just not sure if that’s a feature that they’ve released to the public.

As far as I know, there’s no way of placing an overlay that could be tappable throughout the entire scene. You can place a ui (user interfact button which will move around with you throughout a scene) but I believe that would only be tappable when you insert the code.
Also you’d need to keep in mind that if you had the overlay too low on the screen, tablet users wouldn’t be able to see it.

But at the moment I don’t think it’s possible to have an overlay be tappable for an entire scene whilst other dialogue/events go on in the meantime (if that makes sense).

1 Like