DARA’S GUIDE: Typed-in Choices

I don’t understand how to script Typed-In Names on Top of Speech Bubbles correctly.

I’m using this function with the NARRATOR (so the Narrator changes it’s name to the Typed-In Name)
but it recognizes it instead as a no-existent character and asks me if I want to create a new character with the name NAME.

This is how I scripted it:

First I want the Reader to choose the Characters NAME and SURNAME.
MAIN 1 is the Character the Reader is.

label name_input

input What’s Your first Name? | What’s Your First Name? | Done(NAME)

if (NAME is “”) {

NARR
Your Character needs a Name!

goto name_input

} else {
continue
}

label surname_input

input What’s Your Surname? | What’s Your Surname? | Done(SURNAME)

if (NAME is “”) {

NARRATOR
Your Character needs a Surname!

goto surname_input

} else {
continue
}

After the reader customized the Character, the first scene comes where the script looks like this:

EXT. GRAVEYARD - DAY

music music_sadgoodbye

@MAIN 1 stands back right AND MAIN 1 faces left

@MAIN 1 is cry_sob_sad_loop

NARRATOR (MAIN 1)
I am lost.
I can't live without her.

I want to make a Graveyard scene as a beginning, showing MAIN 1 and MOTHER in a Grave laying.

But now when I type in:

NARRATOR (NAME)
I am lost.
I can't live without her.

The Writer Portal says this:

ERROR
The character NAME doesn’t exist. Did you misspell or delete it? Try reloading to update your catalog.

Any help would be very appreciated as this is a major problem for my Story.

You need use your character’s script name. “NAME” and “SURNAME” are only used for display names and dialogue.

Also, when you mention the name in dialogue, you need to use [NAME] and [SURNAME]

1 Like

okay, thanks for the answer, i’ll try now to fix it

How do I make a character’s younger self have the same name, but with “young” in front of it if I let readers choose the name?

Hey your guide are very useful,
I want to ask, what do we do if we let the character choose their name, and we want to do this:
Please reply @Dara.Amarie :green_heart:

NARRATOR (NAME)

You still use the script name of the character

1 Like

Okay, thank you :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Hey, please help me I’m a new episode writer and I need some help I’m doing a dressing game. It is telling me the code is wrong and this is what they said was wrong. Can you please tell me the mistake I made.

Label choosing_outfit

CLARA (think)
What do I want to wear?

Choice
“Spicy”{

@CLARA exits right
@CLARA changes into CLARA_default
@CLARA is flirt_wink
}

“Nerdy”{

*@CLARA exits right
*@CLARA changes into CLARA_nerdy
@CLARA is flirt_wink
}

@CLARA enters from right to screen rigth AND CLARA faces left
@pause for a beat

CLARA

Should i wear this?
choice
“Definitely, my style.”{

CLARA (talk_happy_agree)

I look amazing.
}
“I can do better”{

CLARA (talk_unsure)
Let’s see the other one.

goto choosing_outfits

}
thank you
kind regards leah

Hi there. Your reply is off topic. This is not the correct thread to post your question. Create your own thread asking for help or PM me.

Oh i’m so sorry I’m new to this, i found your website and it works like a bomb. Thank you

Bump :hot_pepper:

Hey Dara, is it possible to let readers choose a nickname for their characters (after I’ve asked them their first name) and use that in dialogue? If so, could you please show me how? Thanks!

It’s all explained in the guide above. Use the input code and change “ANSWER” to whatever you want and use straight brackets around the answer during dialogue

Hey Dara! How can I have the readers’ custom name as the narrator when no one is in the scene?. It doesn’t work when I type in “NARRATOR (NAME)” and then dialogue under.

Use the script name

Hi! Do you know about that some people put the name customization template and after the name is customized by the reader, on top of the speech bubble the customized name is in replace of the name we gave to the character as an author?
Ex: A reader wants to name the main character Hannah, but originally it is “Name”. After the reader customized the name, “Name” is still on top of the speech bubble whenever the main character is talking.

Can someone help we out and explain?
Hope this makes sense.

It’s explained in the guide above.

Bump :avocado:

If I want to remember an input (like the readers name), do I need to use a label?

How would you do a text like this except with numbers. In one of my stories, I have a character asking another for their shoe size. Ex:

What is your shoe size? | What is your shoe size? (SHOE)
this can be anything from a 5-10

KAI
[NAME] wears a [SHOE] shoe