DARA’S GUIDE: Overlays

thank you :slight_smile:

I have a scene in my episode where an elevator opens up. I was wondering how I could make both of the doors to the elevator open at the same time. Here’s how my script looks:

INT. ORANGE ELEVATOR 2- DAY with ELEVATOR LEFT to 1.000 51 99 in zone 1 at layer 3 with ELEVATOR RIGHT 1.000 117 99 in zone 1 at layer 3

@overlay ELEVATOR LEFT shifts to 51 99 in zone 3 in 3

@overlay ELEVATOR RIGHT shifts to 117 99 in zone 3 in 3

And by the way, I have an error that says that one of my overlays don’t exist and I don’t know how because that overlay is in the list of the other overlays.

Use the & sign for the left elevator overlay command.

Okay. What about for the elevator right? Do I use the & sign for that one as well?

No just use & for the left one. The “&” sign is used when you want a command to happen while another command is happening. Using & for the left and @ for the right, the left will move at the same time the right moves

Ohh so how would that look? How would I code it? Do I put the elevator doors in different zones? And do I have to change the shifting of the left elevator to the same shifting as the right elevator?

No just use the exact same code you copy and pasted above but just change the @ to an & for the LEFT one

I did that before and both of the elevator doors moved in the same direction.

That’s because you’re not shifting them to a different spot. You’re shifting them to the same spots that you placed them at next to the background name.

Ohhh I see what you mean.

1 Like

Okay. Can I put the left elevator going into zone 2?

Yea, you can shift it wherever you want to move it.

Okay. How would I close both of elevator doors back together again? I’m sorry for asking you a lot of questions. Using overlays is not my strong spot :frowning:

Do it the same way you opened them, but use the same spot numbers you placed them at next to the background name.

Ohh okay.

It’s still not turning out right for me. Both doors are still going in the same direction.

So when you test out your script, move the left overlay to the left to a spot where you want it to shift to, then add those spot numbers to your script, then move the right overlay somehwere to the right and add those spot numbers to your script.

Okay, but what about zones?

Whatever zone you’re in will be the zone you shift it to.

Okay thanks for helping me.

1 Like