DARA’S GUIDE: Overlays

Bump :grin:

My overlays aren’t showing up!!! :disappointed_relieved:

You need to add the opacity command. Also, the layer command should be placed after the create command.

1 Like

Thank uuuu, u goddess!

Bump! :wink:

So, this may just be a glitch in the app/web previewer, but I’m having a problem viewing one of my overlays. I’ve made a couple for this story and others, never had issues, but this one is just totally invisible for some reason? I can view it in my list of overlays just fine, and I can put it in the story, I even have a box to move it around with. But it’s not visible in the web previewer or in the app, and I have no idea why. At first I thought maybe it’s just come out really tiny, but making it bigger changed nothing, so I decided that that probably wasn’t the case. Have you ever heard of something like this? Or should I just go to support and hope they’ve got an idea? Thanks in advance for your time, and for everything you do on the forums, your threads have pretty much become my lifeline.

What does your script look like for that overlay?

@overlay SWAN MASK create
@overlay SWAN MASK shifts to 18 236 in zone 1 in 0

1 Like

Ohhh okay, thank you so much. I’m usually better about reading things, my bad.

1 Like

Hi, sorry to bother you, how do I find out the X and Y? Am I doing something wrong here?

EXT. THE HAMILL PALACE - DAY with CAR SIDE LIMO to %1.400 1.400 -606 24

When you test out your story and move your overlay around, you will see 2 codes that look something like this:

@overlay CAR SIDE LIMO shifts to -606 24

@overlay CAR SIDE LIMO scales to 1.400 1.400

-606 is the x coordinate, 24 is the y coordinate, and 1.400 is the scales size (%)

And you’d write:

EXT. THE HAMILL PALACE - DAY with CAR SIDE LIMO to 1.400 -606 24

P.S, what x, y, and % mean:

x coordinate is where the overlay is placed on the screen horizontally (side to side)
y coordinate is where the overlay is placed on the screen vertically (up and down)
% is the scale size

1 Like

Bump :facepunch:

1 Like

How do u do the face time scene in episode

Do you mean something like this:

:thinking:

1 Like

Now when I want to place an overlay in the middle of the scene, it jumps off to another layer, how should I make it stay in one layer?

Heyyy. So I’m having trouble with layering an overlay. I’m actually using a background that comes with an overlay, but i don’t want all of my characters behind the overlay. If that makes sense. Here’s my code.

INT. GUARD DESK OL - DAY

@WORKER spot 1.208 206 37 in zone 2

@LAUREN enters from left to screen left

@LAUREN moves to layer 3

@LAUREN starts shiftweight

@pause for a beat

@follow LAUREN to screen left in zone 2

I want Lauren to be in front of the overlay and the worker to be behind it. But they both strong textend up behind it… Is thus fixable?

You need to layer the overlay, and since the overlay is attached to the background then you will use the background name as the overlay name.

INT. GUARD DESK OL - DAY with INT. GUARD DESK OL - DAY at layer #

WOW WOW WOW! Thank you sooo much!!

How do you use the casket overlay? I need help with it.