A Guide To Using Cultural & Religious Assets

Thank you, I’ll add it!

Did some reading on the wearing of rosaries and got some mixed opinions. The general opinion was

1. No it shouldn’t be worn as a necklace (even if you are Christian/Catholic)
  2. It’s okay for Catholics to wear
  3. It’s a personal choice for a Catholic to wear.
    Is anyone willing to elaborate for me I’m still confused and I don’t want to use a rosary offensively. :relaxed:
2 Likes

They are religious symbols, but some people might wear them because of culture. For example, someone raised in a Catholic household might’ve been given a cross to wear as a necklace, despite that person may not believe in Catholic faith. <3

4 Likes

My father wears it as a necklace. Well, he does have some Jewish background he says but he isn’t Jewish? Like a real jew with their believes and such. at least I don’t think he does? but then again I haven’t seen him in 5-6 years so I can’t tell what he really meant with it

same but he is weird. I think he wears it because his name is David

Yeah it really is he even put a tatoo of the star on his body. I was young at the time so I didn’t bother to ask many question about it and I didn’t wanted him to become angry so I always just said: “Alright cool”

Just added it!

1 Like

The truth is quite difficult. Rosaries are not fashion statements or accessories and should never be worn as such. However, if it makes praying convenient and quick for you, wear away!

4 Likes

Realistically, rosaries should be props before they’re clothing assets

6 Likes

Thanks for the clarification! Not entirely sure why they’re a clothing item when they’re not intended to be worn :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

It’s ridiculous :joy: some people wear them but most of us have a little pouch or just keep them in our bags

3 Likes

Do you wear them while you’re praying? I’ve never met a Catholic so I’m pretty ignorant to a lot of the customs.

1 Like

This is my pouch

You can’t really wear them when you’re praying because they’re a counting aid. You do a Hail Mary on every bead. But it’s a good way to carry them around if you know you’re going to do the rosary and you don’t have a bag to keep them in. I see a lot of young people wearing their rosary to mass! Because they know they’re going to sit in the Church afterwards and pray the rosary. But if you’re not doing anything religious at the time, you’re kinda turning it into a fashion statement, which you shouldn’t do.

4 Likes

It’s super pretty! Thanks for the clarifications, I literally just thought roasaries were the same as a cross necklace :joy:

2 Likes

Here’s a great aid for how we use them!

3 Likes

Thank you so much for all your help! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

No problem! Feel free to DM me if you have any questions!

1 Like

Many people of many culture wears them. I don’t know all but I know my own. It’s why they don’t have a specified name. In some places, they can be used similar to but is not a hijab. They can be used as African headwear for events or daily life. Even outside of that, this headscarf can be used as a casual everyday accessory that many people can use because of how broad it is. The headwear used to have it’s own African culture and meaning and even then it was very broad. Africa isn’t exactly one small place but many different cultures and practices in one huge continent.

Let me rephrase and actually give an example before I get beat up. lol

• It’s used for protecting the hair at night, especially after oiling afro hair cause the snitch gets dry asfk.

• It can be used for ceremonies like weddings and other special events.

• It can be used in churches, tbh to spice up the outfit but for some people is for religious reason - similar to a hijab BUT NOT, a nun but NOT, a Christian wear, etc.

• Simply for fashion. Years long ago, it was a trend in order to find a mate and create families. SO it was open to the chance of simply being worn as fashion or a fashion statement. Also a movement piece as women started to fight for the ability to wear their cultural hairstyle and natural hair without being criticized for it.

• Taming the mane. If you have afro hair, it is naturally untamable until the headscarf. (honestly, my hair is way too wild for it and doesn’t really tame mine. lol)

• Lastly, to celebrate a wonderful African tradition or African heritage. Aka during Kwanzaa.

And, no, it isn’t exclusive to anyone. I can’t really say about religion but overall it isn’t. Everyone from men to woman, old and young may wear them. All I can say is be careful with the religion you give a character when wearing this scarf. Most are okay with it, but few have a feminine and masculine way.

8 Likes

I see, because rastas actually use scarves and turbans to indicate their connection to Ethiopia and other parts of Africa and also protect their dreads, its mostly popular among the bobo shantis but they’re typically longer because of the hair length. But there are many that look like this that I’ve seen them wear

4 Likes

That’s why I was confused, because I know that headscarves are worn by men in other faiths which is why I wanted a second opinion

1 Like