A place to rant about things you don't like seeing in Episode stories

This is just a place I’m creating where people can come rant about cliches, annoying things, or just stupid crap that we often see in stories, and don’t want to see anymore.

I have a couple things to rant about:

1. As you might know, some people do not like reading those cliche SuRpRiSe I’M pReGnAnT stories (cough cough me), and sometimes, it gets to the point where I can’t read the story anymore. (Idk about you guys, but I feel kinda uncomfortable watching my mc deny that she’s (and / or start crying / getting mad, regretting that she is… ) pregnant. Usually, if you want the baby, you would be excited about getting baby news, unless you’re completely unprepared, and in most cases of pregnancy stories I read, the baby is completely unplanned for. Well, guess what?

I spent 54 passes on a really good story that I really liked, with a super good plotline, until…

SuRpRiSe I’M pReGnAnT!!

I stopped reading after that. I’m still a little salty I spent so many passes, and it was also at the worst, most tense moments my mc found out the news. (Aka, she was in between life or death decisions / choices, and having a baby in the middle of this would make everything more difficult (COUGH COUGH DRAMA), between telling the guy the news, and of course, making sure you stay alive)

I mean, most of the pregnancy stories we see are with teens, and don’t really convey how pregnancy actually works. (AKA, most of the babies are not planned, and are the result of having a “crazy” night, OR pregnancy is used to add even more drama to the plot, as the MC usually denies that she’s pregnant, or doesn’t believe it, (Even though she’s been doing “it” with whoever her love interest(s) are, and that one friend / family member is just like “But you are! Look, it says right here!” or “Look! The doctor said so!”

What I’m trying to say is, please don’t use pregnancy as a way to add drama to the plot, when you can’t think of anymore. Everyone should respect all the parents out there (especially all the moms, who powered through 9 months to care for and bring a child safely out into the world) , and know how pregnancy actually works, before adding that random “unplanned baby drama” to the episode story. (To all the people that do enjoy pregnancy stories, please ignore this rant. I’m not trying to offend anyone :sob: Just… sharing my opinions, ig?

Tbh, these pregnancy stories are extremely cliche, and I’ve read way too many stories where the plot is really good at first, and right towards the end of the story, when you think everything is going wonderfully and the end is coming, BAM. There’s that pregnancy news.

1. Please don’t use gangs / sexual assault / terrorism / one partner being superior to the other (aka abusive relationships), or those "falling for my kidnapper / possible murderer / possible crazy psychotic weirdo cliches. I think we all know how serious these problems are in the real world, and should not be “romanticized”, or make the reader in any way thing these “common cliches used in stories” are in ANY way good, even if it’s just a story in an app.

I don’t even know why I’m creating this topic, but here you go. A safe haven for ranting, ig…? Sorry… I’ve had a long day :confused:

12 Likes

The same…generic Mc…in every. Damn. STORY!

6 Likes

Hahahaha ikr?? :joy:

1 Like

It’s so annoying! Where’s the originality??? There’s so many other features you could use but noo–Upturned Feline, Full Lips–the same generic features over and over and over again!

7 Likes

OMG especially in the stories that don’t allow character customization of any sorts!! The “Upturned Feline” eyes are a trait that I see in 99% of mcs.

6 Likes

I prefer Downturned Natural and Almond Luxe. It’s like you don’t really see those two.

3 Likes

And what’s with using Mature eyes on the Mc’s best friend all the time?

6 Likes

There’s a lot of threads about this but I just strongly hate gang leader stories ;/

3 Likes

YESSSSSSSS IKR That’s so true

1 Like

I know it’s the same tan skin colour with upturned blue,green,white or even purple eyes (it’s very rare for a MC to have brown or dark coloured eyes,) with the arched seductive eyebrows and beach wave hair that’s 99% of the time chestnut with the full lips and upturned nose. Atleast change the eye shape :skull: because every mc has upturned feline eyes.

7 Likes

I’m guilty of using full lips a lot but I don’t make the same characters over and over again. I change it once in a while. And I don’t really use tan skin much. I use a lot of dark tones like Chestnut or Sable or Mocha.

4 Likes

A common thing I see (And not just in Ink, also applies to Limelight) is that the popular / 99.9% of the time are mean to the mc, wear skimpy / revealing clothing or that classic crop top with the short skirt combo. Idk about you guys?

3 Likes

I hate the excessive amount of people wearing revealing clothing. I agree. They don’t have to be Muslim to wear modest clothing, make other types of people wear it once and a while. Jeez. :roll_eyes: The constant shorts, crop tops are just annoying.

4 Likes

I used to fanmail authors asking about modest outfits they said its their story and then ppl start adding passive agressive messages in the stories like “this MC will not act like you of u dont like read somewhere else”

I swear i hate revealing outfits >-< and didnt realize how many outfits were avaiable tht authors dont even use or only use so ppl can say “ew i hate this outfit” or the parents chose it so its “ugly and modest”

I read 1 story where MC had the school uniform on and her mom put a scarf on the unbuttoned chest part(they said u can take it off or keep so i kept) a random childhood friend comes and says “i didnt recognize u with so many clothes on u” and takes off the scarf >-> and comments on MCs chest…

6 Likes

So fricking true
Same generic MC apperance and personality the art scenes/covers blend together >->

3 Likes

They need to stop making it seem like covering yourself is “ugly” or “unattractive.” “No one will like you unless you show some skin—“ Um, no. You can still be pretty and not show anything. I swear, they keep rubbing revealing clothing in our faces so much, it’s ridiculous. I hate it! :rage:

4 Likes

So true
I really wish i can choose modest clothes how hard is that!!! Why is dressing modest seen as dowdy or dull…and yes u can be beautiful and covered up

I like tht Gothic babydoll dress but its rarely ever used only to mock it(i didnt know there were diffrent types till i looked at it on the computer)
And ive said multiple times if u dont want school uniforms…dont add them every MC always says they hate them >-<

The. Only time they half try is if the character is wearing a Hijab(correct me of i am wrong or missing other clothing articles) and even then its done half hearted

4 Likes

I like the knee high socks and baby doll dresses. They are cute. I don’t use them much, only on my goth characters. If only we had skirt that were past the socks so it can look like leggings. :sweat:

1 Like

Dresses too.

1 Like

They even make the Hijabi characters look generic and ragedy. Sometimes it’s just plain and they only put half effort than how much they put on revealing outfits. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes