About the New Hairstyles

Soo… there’s been a lot of argument on the new update forum so I thought I’d put my nose in and give you my opinion too!

If you’re going to put these hairstyles on white characters, be prepared for criticism. How to change this? Have your character recognise the origins of the braids and praise black culture. I personally think it’s best to give black people recognition if you’re going to borrow their hairstyles!

47 Likes

Thank you!!!

3 Likes

:heart:

It’s all about giving black culture recognition, not banning white people from using it!

16 Likes

We shouldn’t ban them from it but they should learn about it before going on wearing it. Period.

8 Likes

It doesn’t take much for people to be sensitive. I’m sure a black girl would LOVE to teach a white girl all about dreads/braids/knots and teach them how to wear them if they showed respect for the culture!

8 Likes

Right. I don’t mind white people wearing the hair. It’s just that they need to pay respect to the black culture. They constantly shame us for the hair when we wear it but praise themselves. :roll_eyes: Just learn and teach yourself. And don’t claim it. Seriously.

12 Likes

This is about so much more than curly or straight or wavy hair. It’s about a history and culture that gets ignored way too much. If you wanna use it, recognise it!

7 Likes

History has a high amount of importance with the hair. Look at the history of it. You’ll learn a lot.

3 Likes

Don’t wear it because “it’s cute.” No. Wear it because you want to APPRECIATE the culture!

5 Likes

There’s a white girl I know from school who has dreads and she idolises a bunch of black women with dreads. When people comment on how much they love her hair, she gives black culture the credit it deserves instead of pretending she came up with the idea

5 Likes

I just hope it doesn’t ruin her hair though. :sob: I hope someone told her how to do it correctly. Because some white girls hair gets all bad once they take it out and messes it up.

3 Likes

No she isn’t. You have a problem, you can dm her. This thread is not for negativity. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

What do you mean? Why is educating yourself about a culture brainwashing?

7 Likes

I don’t believe in the concept of appropriation because it’s claiming something for yourself. Which is what our colonizers did to us and most of the world. We normally critique that, but then turn around and do the same.

8 Likes

There’s appropriation and then there’s appreciation. As long as you’re aware of where your styles come from and you don’t try to claim them as your own, you’re appreciating :heart:

5 Likes

Exactly. Anyone can wear natural hairstyles, as long as they’re not saying “we did it first!” You know?

5 Likes

So a small comment about the fact that a white character was inspired by a black person’s braids in a story would really go a long way for representation

4 Likes

Exactly what I mean!

4 Likes

Look at us discussing! This is so nice.

5 Likes

And @ShanniiWrites must be so happy for the update! :rofl: I saw the photo of her with the hair.

3 Likes