Adding Choices?

Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone could help me?

I often find it hard adding even the simplest of choices in to an episode, particularly if I’ve done some difficult coding in the previous chapter or if there’s a big plot point I want to get across. So I was hoping that someone could please give me a few quick tips on adding even simple choices. Help would be much appreciated, thank you :slight_smile:

Moved to Directing Help & Tips as that’s where scripting questions live! :v:t2:

Oops, sorry, I just get confused about where things should go, I’ll try to get better at it in future :slight_smile:

No problem! Feel free to review this tutorial, it has a lot of info about where to organize posts on the forums :slight_smile:

Thanks, I will :smiley:

So here’s a template for a brief choice:

choice
“FirstChoice” {

Whatever you want the choice to say here

} “SecondChoice” {

} “ThirdChoice” {

}

This is a basic outline of a choice. Using this outline you can then create different numbers of choices. golden choices + locked choices. Choices that matter and much more. If you need any more help regarding this issue, Feel free to reply on here or pm me, and I’ll be glad to help. :grin:

Thank you, I know the coding, its the working choices into a story part that I get confused with :slight_smile:

Well, it gets easier as you continue to write and if you need any help don’t hesitate to ask. :grin:

Hello, no worries, It’s a hard concept to learn at first :slightly_smiling_face:
Okay, here is an example of a choice:

EMMA (think)
(What’s my favorite color?)

choice
“Red”{
EMMA (talk_neutral)
My favorite color is red.
}
“Blue”{
EMMA (talk_neutral)
My favorite color is blue.
}
“Green”{
My favorite color is green.
}

That’s a rather basic choice script. I will now explain things. Before you add a choice, you must have dialogue before it, like a character talking. The choice can’t just start after a command like “@ EMMA is think”. There must be actual characters speaking.

You then just simply add the word choice, skip down a line and continue.

Next, you put in quotations the first choice. Which in this case would be “Red”. At the end of the second quotation, you add a bracket {
So, the current script would be…
choice
“Red”{

You then begin writing the dialogue that happens if that choice is selected, and then add another bracket. }
So, the current script would be…
choice
“Red”{
EMMA (talk_neutral)
My favorite color is red.
}

You then repeat this process until you have all the choices you need. I hope I explained this correctly. If you have any more questions about this, feel free to ask :kissing_heart:

Thing is, I’m not new to episode, I have quite a few active stories, that I constantly work on to improve them and none of them really have many choices apart from dressing games, I just feel like I’m a terrible author for publishing them without many things for the reader to engage with.

First of all, to add a choice, a character needs to speak. You cant’ add a choice after an other command (eg : @pause for 3). Then you put your “titles” between quotation marks. To make those button look dark blue, put
before the quotation marks (with the brackets), to make it look gold put , and to make it look locked put . After your “title” you need to put a {, then put all the things you want for that specific choice, and close it with a }. Just after, you can put another “title” and start over.
eg :
CHARACTER
How do you feel today?

choice
“Tired” {
CHARACTER2
I feel tired.
}
“Happy”
CHARACTER2
I feel happy
}
“Sad”
CHARACTER2
I feel sad
}

This is the basics of a choice, feel free to ask if you need more help :blush:

Here’s a link to an episode guide about adding choices and about determining which ones are meaningful and will create an effect on your readers. If you haven’t read the guide already then it’s def worth reading as it contains many helpful aspects to choice creating.
https://www.episodeinteractive.com/write/guides

And if you wanna learn how to make choices that matter then I suggest you take a look at this super helpful guide created by @TaraStar

Thank you xx

No Problem Hun. :wink:

I think if you have a lot of branching or need to get the plot to go a certain way, adding in the MC choice of dialogue is a good way to just fill up your chapter with choices. They don’t matter in terms of changing the ending, but it gives the reader to respond how they would irl, I guess.

I like to scan my script and look for times the MC has been asked a question by another character. If I can think of a few different ways MC might possibly respond without her flat our rejecting the choice, I add some dialogue choices

Thanks, that really helps :slight_smile:

Closing due to one month of inactivity :slight_smile: