Advice - can I use a map from a video game as where my story is set?

So for my story the location/map of GTAV [Los Santos] is the perfect setting, would I be able to use this in my story and be able to use the same location names or would this be copywright ?

Thanks!

The US Copyright Office specifically states that “ Copyright does not protect the idea for a game , its name or title, or the method or methods for playing it. Nor does copyright protect any idea, system, method, device, or trademark material involved in developing, merchandising, or playing a game.”

I found this, i’m not entirely sure if this is helpful but as far as I can tell you would be fine using the names, you just couldn’t use any backgrounds because that would be under copyright.

1 Like

You cannot use the actual images from the game.

2 Likes

You can’t use their map.

There are websites where you can make your own map; however, if in doubt, check with the support team.

1 Like

@LaurelleE27 Thanks! Is there a particular software you recommend?

I’ve only used Inkarnate. I love it. It’s free, but has its limitations as they also have a subscription service.

A screenshot of their explore page, so you can see some of the maps and whether it fits your theme

1 Like

Thanks this is really useful! :grin:

Glad to help. If you decide to use it, they have a YouTube channel and stream tutorials on Discord, or I’d be glad to help out, but I’m also pretty new to it.

1 Like

Since it’s based on Los Angeles, you can prob find a free map to use of that specific area. Not the map from the game though. You’d also have to change the names of stores, gas stations, restaurants, etc. Like they did in the game.

1 Like