Advice needed - First Time Author

Hi everyone!!

I am a new author here on Episode and have a few questions. If you could be so kind as to answer them or give me feedback I would much appreciate it!!

What is the best episode length?
I am currently writing my second episode and the first episode has about 600 lines of code. I’m not sure if I should add more or keep it the way it is.

Are cliffhangers necessary?
Should I include a cliffhanger regularly or should I not? I’m still a new writer and I want to be able to keep the reader engaged in my story!

What makes a good story?
I’m really trying not to follow storylines and topics that everyone else is doing. I’m worried that will cause me to have less readers.

Should I include art scenes?
I am decent and art and would think about including art scenes into my story. Is it really necessary or would I be okay without it.

My story has no CC, would that be okay?
My story won’t have any CC for any characters. I will however include choices that allow you to choose the MC’s clothes.

What can I do to improve my story?
I will drop the link once the first three episodes are published. I want to make this story as good as possible.

I have a deadline for when my story should be published but I am running out of motivation and ideas.
I’m not sure how many ideas I have left in my head and I was wondering if any of you could give me some inspiration for my story?

Thank you so much!!! :sparkles::black_heart::sparkles:

4 Likes

I personally feel that at least 2,000 lines per episode is best.

Cliffhangers are fine if they aren’t overused all of the time.

What makes a good story is a compelling plot + good pacing with character development and good directing.

Art scenes are your choice, but I’d steer clear of keeping them on screen for too long.

No CC is fine as long as you’re writing the story well, but I’m not going to lie - CC can be a dealbreaker for a lot of people.

You can improve your story by having it proofread and beta tested for feedback before and after publishing. :relaxed:

Try not to focus on deadlines, it will only stress you out. You should write when you feel you can and when the inspiration is flowing because ultimately, your writing and story will turn out better.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your advice!! I really appreciate it!! I will definitely not over use cliffhangers to the best of my ability. I also will try to steer clear of a too long art scene. Thank you so much!! :sparkles::black_heart::sparkles:

2 Likes

No problem!

1 Like
  1. A good length story has a minimum of 1500 lines of codes
  2. Cliffhangers are not an absolute necessity but it makes the reader keep coming back for more.
  3. A good story is original, try not to fall into the vicious circle of cliches.
  4. Art scenes entirely depend on you. I’ve read great stories with art scenes and very bad ones too.
  5. If you won’t allow cc it’s alright.
  6. To improve, I suggest you make a plan of what is going to happen. If you don’t know, then plan how it’s going to end and build the story from top to ground. Else than that, keep writing. The more you do, the better you’ll get.
  7. If you are running out of motivation to write I would suggest you go make outfits for your characters. As it still contributes to your story. Or take a 30-minute break for every hour of writing! or take a day off, don’t stress about deadlines!
    If you are out of ideas just do a brainstorm on the forum, people will help you for sure!
2 Likes

Thank you so much! I will take a break for a day and see if I can gain more motivation. I will hopefully be able to write about 1,500 - 2,000 lines of code this week for my story. I might end up publishing the first episode with the other two locked and update once or twice a month so I don’t fall so far behind. Thank you again for giving me advice!! :sparkles::black_heart::sparkles:

1 Like

Looking forward to see your story published!

Thank you so much!! :sparkles::black_heart::sparkles:

Long a*s paragraphs
  1. 10 - 15 minutes is a good length. You shouldn’t focus on lines as they vary depending on how advanced your coding is. Don’t fill your story with cr*p just to fit the slot.

2. No, they do keep the reader engaged but you shouldn’t use one at the end of every chapter as I have heard it can get annoying (I personally don’t mind). Also most will be false cliffhangers which people really hate. False cliffhangers are ones that the problem gets solved within the first minute of the next chapter. Think of it like a book, do you really see every good author leaving cliffhangers at the end on chapters in books. For the most part… No you don’t.

3. At the least decent directing and good grammar. But for a good story you want really good directing (This does not mean everything needs to be flashy) and writing is about putting twists on your favourite clichés. :wink:

4. Surprisingly, a lot of people hate art scenes and would prefer to not have any. Most hate it because it doesn’t look like their character because usually MC’s tend to be white and POC can’t see themselves in it when they are already underrepresented. It reminds them that their favourite MC doesn’t look like them. But since your story has no CC you should be fine on that front. Unless you have people who hate them because they use slow zooms and talk about the LI’s lips/eyes half the time. I personally love art scenes but could go without. They could be good for when you need a certain pose and if you get them from artists then you are supporting them which I think we all need a bit of support during these tough times.

5. Absolutely but you have to take into account the many readers who like to make their character a POC so they won’t read it. But on the other side there are people who just skip CC altogether and leave it how the author imagined the characters. They are your ideal audience. I personally prefer full CC but I would settle for no CC if the story looked appealing to me.

6. One of the worst things you can do when it comes to the coding aspect is trying too hard to make your directing advanced. Many people try to do things they are not ready for and it will show. Make sure you make a different group of people who you think will give you honest feedback. The best people to ask are people who know directing like the back of their hand and people who prone to being sensitive so they can tell you if something is offensive.

7. Try finding writing groups and next time write out ideas as they come try to get a rough draft of what the story is about and what you need to include.

1 Like

So like long discriptions and character thoughts?

I would aim for 1500-2000 lines but it ultimately depends on your level of coding so it can be better to time how long the episode is to read instead.

I don’t think so no. I wouldn’t add massive ones every episode but cliffhangers don’t have to be big things.

A mix of things but to put it simply, good plot and good directing.

It’s up to you! But it gets tiring when the author/character is just narrating for like 5 minutes about the art scene so just keep it shorter.

That might put off some readers but personally, I don’t mind not having CC.

Planning ahead and having proofreaders.

Hope this helps! Good luck w your story :white_heart:

1 Like

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

1 Like

No, that is hiding my advice. Click on the arrow and you will see what I said. I just don’t want to p*ss of people because I wrote a lot.

Ohhhhhhh sorry I didn’t understand, I’m sorry

1 Like

Thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate it! I will definitely try writing out the rough draft of my story. I wont use advanced directing yet for I don’t understand the use of zooms and choices. Thanks again for your advice!

1 Like

You’re welcome, if you need help with zooms or how to code simple things then I can help you if you need just ask and I can try and help you. :hugs: Remember that the community are here to help when you are struggling just search up your topic first because we hate basic directing questions unless they have a specific problem.

I will be sure to ask if I run into a problem! I will search it up first like you said so I wont be annoying.

2 Likes

Tbh do what you want lol. If you force a cliff hanger or something else like that it’s just gonna come out bad. If you want to do something- go ahead!

Thank you so much!! I will try not to force a cliffhanger. :sparkles::black_heart::sparkles:

1 Like

I guess that goes for anything tbh. But just do what you’re passionate about ig. Like if you want cliff hangers go for it- personally I love them because they make me hurt but in the right way and keep me reading lol.