Advice on how to write an Episode story

Hi everybody, and I would like to offer advice on how to write an Episode story, which I think would be very helpful towards those writing stories for Episode. But anyway, on to the advice:

Knowing Episode and the coding

1. Get familiar with Episode, and you can do that by watching Episode stories. After watching a handful of Episode stories, you may not’ve realized this at first, but you can actually create your own stories on Episode. Hey, I didn’t know that when I first encountered Episode.

2. Once you realize that you can create your own stories, you should at first, learn to write an Episode story. You can do that by watching tutorials on YouTube and by going to Dara Amarie’s website, and with that you can learn all the coding and everything. I’ll offer links at the end of this thread.

3. To learn coding and whatever else is necessary, start with doing a practice story. That’s what I did. There you can learn all the coding as well as any other essential skills for Episode. Don’t worry if your practice story is all sloppy, because at the end of the day, it’s just for practice, and you’re not intending to publish it. And just to let you know, you can use your practice story for reference, especially when you type up a story of which you intend to publish.

Planning your story

1. Once you have learned all the coding and everything, you’re ready to plan your first story, and here’s how to do it.

2. First you want to get inspired, and don’t just do that by watching Episode stories. Read books, watch movies and TV shows, watch stories on other storytelling apps such as Chapters, Spotlight, etc, listen to music, and basically seek inspiration with outlets outside of Episode. Now whatever you do, don’t imitate or rip-off other Episode stories, because that will put you on grounds for plagiarism. You need to be original.

3. Once you get inspired, you should start planning your story, and I highly recommend it, and here’s why. Planning your story is a good way to prevent writer’s block, and it’ll give you an idea of where you want to take your story. If you don’t plan your story and start typing it up unplanned, then chances are you won’t have a very good story, you’ll easily be struck by writer’s block, you won’t have any idea of where to take your story, and you’ll likely get a bunch of negative feedback. I’ll momentarily offer some links on how to plan a story.

4. When you start planning your story, determine how many episodes you want to give your story. Now you don’t have to pin down a precise number at first, such as say 34 or 78. Instead you could just set a ballpark figure on how many episodes you’d like to do. For example you could say, “I’d like to do 50 to 60 episodes, or maybe I’d like to do 15 to 20 episodes”. Like I said, you don’t have to pin down a precise number. Now once you determine how many episodes you want to do, don’t just plan one episode and then type it up, not to mention that you have to type at least three episodes to even publish an Episode story. But like I said before, once you’ve decided how many episodes you want to do, plan the number of episodes you’ve chosen. For example say you want to do 10 episodes of your story, then plan the 10 episodes out. Or if you want to do 20 episodes of the story, then plan the 20 episodes out. But of course if you do decide on 20 episodes, you could instead decide to plan 10 episodes at first, and plan another 10 episodes later. It’s up to you. But nevertheless, be determinant of how many episodes you want to give your story.

5. Once you’ve planned your episodes, you should start writing a script for each episode, and what I mean is, is not writing a script in the writer’s portal. Instead write your scripts, say on Microsoft Word or an electronic notepad on your smartphone, tablet, desktop, or laptop, whichever you prefer. That’s how I personally do it. Or you could write your scripts on paper if you’d like, but I personally recommend Microsoft Word or an electronic notepad. Now you ask why I’m suggesting this. Well, I’m suggesting this because if you write scripts outside of the portal, you could actually have an idea of what to type up, especially when you’re typing up your story in the portal. Of course your scripts are a rough draft, and they’re mainly there to give you an idea.

6. What I personally recommend is releasing episodes in bulk, instead of releasing one episode a week. Now you ask why I recommend this. Well, here’s why. If you release episodes in bulk, you could better satisfy the readers, and readers would much rather have a bunch of episodes released at once, rather than just one episode a week. For example you could release say five to ten episodes all at once, even if you intend to release more episodes in the future. Now don’t assume that you have to release say 40 to 60 episodes all at once, even if you decide to give your story that many episodes. So if you decide to give your story say 50 episodes, you could start by releasing 10 episodes at first and then another 10 episodes second, and so on and so forth. But nevertheless I do recommend releasing episodes in bulk.

Typing up your story

1. I’ve now covered everything related to planning and coding. But now, we’ll be moving on to typing up your actual story. So for starters here are some things I recommend for your story.

2. Give your story a cover. With a cover, your story will be more eye catching and more appealing to the reader. Don’t just settle for a default cover. Now I know that some of you don’t know how to create a cover, but hey, don’t get discouraged. There’s other ways to obtain a cover. You could seek a professional artist to do so, but there’s a drawback to that. Artists like that typically are expensive and if you’re on a budget, then I wouldn’t recommend it, unless of course you’re willing to cost yourself an arm and a leg. My other recommendation would be to create a cover on an image manipulation program and you can do that on a mobile device or a desktop or a laptop, and if you’re wanting to know how, then PM me and I’ll give you some step by step instructions.

3. Allow customization for some of your characters, especially the MC and the LI. Now here’s why I recommend customization. You may perhaps like how say the MC and the LI look, but the reader may want such characters to look differently, and if you don’t allow customization, then perhaps you could disappoint the readers. So I strongly recommend allowing customization, especially for the MC and the LI, and I would also suggest allowing customization say for relatives of the MC and LI, whether it be a parent, sibling, grandparent, or whatever. Now here’s what I recommend for setting up customization. Go to Dara Amarie’s website and she has the best and the most updated customization templates there. It’s really easy to do, and I highly recommend going to her website for customization.

4. Add music to your story. Adding music can really give your story character, and a lack of music can easily bore readers, so please keep that in mind. Now if you have brief moments of no music in your story, then that’s passable, but make sure you have a significant amount of music in your story. Of course you can use certain sound effects to substitute music for a particular scene, but like I said before, make sure your story has enough music.

5. Now many will recommend giving your story choices, but I’m more lax on that. Giving your story choices I’d say is contingent on how you want to do your story and whether or not you use the points system. My personal recommendation would be if you give your story choices, then use the points system, especially if you want more impactful choices and if you say “choices matter” for your story. But if your story is more focused on storytelling, then choices aren’t necessary. So adding choices is all contingent on how you want to do your story.

6. Keep your episodes at a reasonable length. With this said, make sure your episodes aren’t too long or too short. Just basically at a reasonable length, and I would personally recommend giving your episodes 400-2000 lines of text and they should naturally be at a reasonable length. With all this said, if your episodes are either too long or too short, then your readers could easily lose interest in your story, so like I said before, keep them at a reasonable length.

7. Give your story direction. What I mean by this is that readers want to know where your story is headed and what direction your characters are headed in, and you can accomplish this by planning your story.

8. Give your story a satisfying ending, especially since it will better satisfy your readings. If your ends on a cliffhanger, then you could easily disappoint your readers, so make sure to give your story a satisfying ending and have it end with resolution. But if you insist on giving your story a rather unsatisfying ending, then offer it as an alternate ending to your story, especially if you use the points system.

What to know as an Episode author

1. Once you finally published your story, you want to promote it anyway possible, and you can do that by using Instagram or doing read for reads in the forum.

2. Don’t make unrealistic expectations out of your stories. For example, don’t except to get millions of reads or get paid once you’re done with your story, because the majority of Episode authors don’t get these more fortunate circumstances. So with all this said, don’t make getting paid your goal, and don’t ever expect to get rich off your stories, because it most likely won’t ever happen. Your stories are written for fun, not money.

3. Don’t feel entitled to get so many reads, because some people may not care for your story and not everybody has time for your story. People have other things to do, and we all need time to eat, sleep, and wind down. With all this said, never ever force anybody to read your story. You can offer you story as a suggestion, but never ever force someone to read it. You must learn to respect other people’s decisions.

4. Always be open to criticism. If readers criticize your story, then in some cases they actually mean well, because perhaps you’ve made some errors in your story or perhaps your story could use some improvement. Word of advice, you won’t be immune to criticism, and please be prepared for it. Now sometimes someone can mean well by criticizing your story, but sometimes not. Someone can unfortunately give your story negative feedback, and he or she might say something like, “your story sucks” or maybe “your story is garbage and I wish I never read it”. If you ever get that kind of feedback, then perhaps that person just has a negative attitude and doesn’t know how to appreciate what others do. So don’t let it get to you, and just listen to those that give you positive feedback. But also be open to constructive criticism, because that typically comes from someone who means well.

5. Don’t compete with other authors. Try to understand that no matter how many reads you get or what level other authors are at, you should realize that you’re writing stories for fun, not for profit or competition. Don’t get jealous of other authors, just because they have more reads than you, and don’t tell them that, “hey I’m a better writer than you, and I can write a way better story than you”. Don’t ever say anything like that. You’d be hurting yourself more than others. Just enjoy writing your stories, see what others think of them, and enjoy any positive feedback you get.

Conclusion

So now that I’ve covered everything, I would just like to let you know that this is all merely advice, and that I don’t intend to impose it onto anyone, and just about everything I said is just a suggestion. Some of you may differ on how to create an Episode story, and I can respect that, but whatever you do, don’t assume that I’m imposing anything on you, because I’m not. I’m just offering advice, which may perhaps help some of you. But anyway I would love to hear what you may have to say, and it’s okay if you disagree with some of things I say. And before I finish up, I might revise this thread in the future.

Links

8 Likes

be careful with this ^ i don’t recommend letting the reader customize all the family individually. that’s annoying. instead, code it so that they match automatically. dara has a tutorial for that:

other than that though, this was a good thread. very detailed, and informative for those still struggling to find out how to use this app :3

3 Likes

^Bump

Bump!

Thanks for pointing that out, but my only objection is that I don’t know how to get such characters to look similar say to the MC or maybe the LI, but I’d certainly be willing to learn.

Thanks for bumping this thread, and if you have any questions or comments, then I’d be happy to hear them.

1 Like