All About Prom!

Hey guys!

So, prom season is coming up. Fortunately, I’m not worried about it. Considering it’s technically not my prom (don’t know how it works in other countries, but prom here is a party thrown by seniors to celebrate that their grade is graduating). I’m in 10th grade (sophomore), and have just been named president of next year’s prom (yay).

So, some context. Colombian proms are not like the proms you see in US movies (at least not when it comes to private schools). Our school is not involved in the slightest. All the teachers go to support us (and because they’re really cool and amazing), but the school doesn’t help with the party itself. Why? Because we like to get drunk. Crazy drunk. And the school doesn’t want it’s name getting damaged by helping with our crazy parties.

This means that we students are left with the task of finding the right place, entertainment, food, activities, dress code, decorations, etc. We also have to find ways to raise enough money to finance all of that. It such a heavy amount of work, that prom preparation starts one year before the prom to guarantee everything goes according to plan.

So why am I bringing this up here?

Well, I don’t know much about proms. And what I want tends to be different that what others want. I could really use your help. If you could answer a few questions, hopefully to start a discussion, about your the general aspects of prom I would be very grateful. I need to know what people like, considering we sell the prom tickets to people outside the school (this year’s prom has more than 1000+, most of them from other schools). And in order to get them to buy, we need to have things they’d like.

REMEMBER YOU DONT HAVE TO HAVE GONE TO PROM TO REPLY!

When it comes to entertainment, would you prefer a DJ, a featured artist, or a band? Why?

What kind of food would you like to eat? What kind of drinks? (Keep in mind there will be alcohol. Please handle this subject responsibly.

When it comes to activities, what would you like to have? Photo booth? Karaoke? Something else?

When it comes to decorations, would you like the place to be decorated with a specific theme? If so, which theme and why?

:heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

(In case you guys want to know my answers).

When it comes to entertainment, would you prefer a DJ, a featured artist, or a band? Why? DJ, absolutely. Featured artists (especially the ones people want) are very expensive. Not only that, they usually only play for around 1-2 hours and the ones organizing the event have little to no control over what songs they’re playing. Not to mention, people are gonna be dancing, making out, drinking and doing all sorts of illegal stuff I should not be mentioning. So not everyone will be paying attention to the artist. Same goes with the band.

A DJ is much cheaper and for most of the party. But the best part is that the DJ meets with the organizers before the prom, to get an idea of what WE want to listen to, and then they focus on mixing and organizing a playlist for the party. Not to mention their music is easier to dance to. And we dance, a lot.

What kind of food would you like to eat? What kind of drinks? (Keep in mind there will be alcohol. Please handle this subject responsibly. Okay so I should explain that here we do a before prom, a prom, and a after prom. Before prom is usually for getting ready. Prom is mostly for kids to have a fancy dinner with parents and teachers to celebrate and chat. AFTER PROM IS WHERE THINGS GO CRAZY.

For the prom, if it were up to me, we would just have a regular steak dinner or something more casual (to reduce costs). For the after prom, I imagine a table with all sorts of snacks. From normal snacks like chips, candy, and all that good stuff. To stronger stuff like meat cubes, tofu (for vegetarians), cheeses, bread, (this is mostly so people don’t die because of the alcohol).

For drinks, we’re thinking of just having a bar where people can buy what they want. We can’t have those bowls with drink because people can sip drugs in there and it’s super dangerous.

When it comes to activities, what would you like to have? Photo booth? Karaoke? Something else? Photo booth or a photographer for sure. As for other activities, most people are usually dancing all the time so there’s really not a very high demand for other extra options.

When it comes to decorations, would you like the place to be decorated with a specific theme? If so, which theme and why? We wanted to do a NY city lights theme…until we realized it’s a huge waste of energy and we go to a very environmentally-friendly school. So right now we’re thinking of going for a regular club theme.

1 Like
  1. I would prefer a DJ so you can have a sick dance party haha!
  2. When it comes to the food i think it would be enough with like ordinary snacks (for example chips), but still something that are a little more “foodier” (for example, Hot dog or Hamburger). For the drinks i think that it should be both alcohol and non-alcohol drinks (like soda and cocktails or beer or something)
  3. Definitely karaoke it seems really fun and if you are there with your classmates it will be really fun to hear their bad/good song voices.
  4. No theme just ordinary party decorations (for example, colored lights/spotlights)
1 Like

Totally agree! It’s so much more fun when people can just dance without having to worry about playing attention to the overly expensive artist.

Honestly, some people in my grade wanted J Balvin. Who costs around 350 THOUSAND dollars and only stays for 1 1/2 hours.

2 Likes

I don’t even know who J Balvin is hahahaha!!

1 Like

Yeah, that’s one of my bigger concerns as well. While it would make the room prettier and all, I don’t want people to feel pressured to follow some sort of theme. One of the benefits from our prom not being controlled by the school, is the fact that we don’t have to worry about school dress codes (there aren’t many rules, but still). People like that freedom. So why take that freedom away by forcing them to dress a certain way?

I’ve never been to a prom (I’m in 11th grade and will have one in a month and another one next year, yay) but I think DJ is so much funner than a band or a featured artist, everybody will probably be drunk and dancing all the time, I doubt anybody will actually care about the quality if the music or anything, so DJ.

As for the food, it will probably be best if you serve some snacks, but yeah, because of the alcohol it will probably be best to have some more serious foods (idealy ones with a lot of fat and calories is better because then the alcohol is less deadly)
And as for the alcohol you could probably make some area with bunch of cups with drinks and someone im charge on it to fill up so people could just drink freely.

Karaoke sounds fun, and since there will be dancing all the time it seems like an extra activity that isn’t too little but isn’t too much in addition.

And I think no specific theme is the best, it’s more loose and feels more party-like than school-event-like.

good luck and have fun!

1 Like

I go to a private school, so for me things are a little bit different than the rest of the country. But similar to yours, it’s kinda a party for grade 12s two days before graduation. The school is involved in it though, and is hosted by the school. We don’t pay for tickets because that’s included in our tuition. Idk about other countries, but in Canada, school is free except for private schools (obvs). The grade 12s host a pre-prom and a post-prom, which is when everyone drinks bc we’re not allowed to drink during the school-hosted prom. I have my prom in may and I’m so excited!
When it comes to entertainment, would you prefer a DJ, a featured artist, or a band? Why?
In my grade, we have a lot of aspiring artists so I think they’re going to be featured! I think I prefer that over anything else (except for maybe Beyonce but that ain’t gonna happen lol).
What kind of food would you like to eat? What kind of drinks? (Keep in mind there will be alcohol. Please handle this subject responsibly.
EVERYTHING! Chips, cake, pizza, everything bad for you.
When it comes to activities, what would you like to have? Photo booth? Karaoke? Something else?
Photo booth seems like a must. Karaoke seems like a good idea if there’s a main stage to perform on. Get some volunteers from other grades to walk around and take photos as well. Nothing is better than sweet memories!
When it comes to decorations, would you like the place to be decorated with a specific theme? If so, which theme and why?
Honestly, this is just a personal preference. Ask your grade! Create a survey on surveymonkey and ask these exact questions.

1 Like

A DJ would be cool. You will focus less on a DJ and more on a band and you wouldn’t dance as much.

Everything buffet style.

Photo booth, karaoke, disco, and my prom had this really cool game that you pair into teams and go on a treasure hunt. You have to do tasks (mine was sneak into our hated principals office and steal his phone. ) Anything daredevilish is good. The reward was any 50 dollar gift card which I know is a lot, but do need a cool prize that everyone will like so I used a go fund me.
This is something you should ask your guests. A lot of them have probably already bought dresses yet so asking is a good idea.

:heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.