Allowing reader to skip to the end of a chapter?

So I’m a perfectionist when it comes to writing and coding… like, to the point that I drive myself insane. :unamused: I’m constantly going back and changing little things, from grammar, to dialogue, to animations, ect. To implement these changes, I’d obviously need to update…

…which means people would be taken to the beginning of the chapter because “new content” has been added. I personally don’t mind rereading episodes, especially if I love the story, but from what I’ve seen on here, rereading seems to be most people’s number one pet peeve, and I get that completely.

My question: should I have choices at the beginning of each chapter that would allow the reader to read/reread it or skip it entirely? Or would that get just as annoying as having to reread?

me, talking to myself: here’s a better idea, dude… give it a rest and stop editing your shit!

Thanks! :revolving_hearts:

Apologies if this is in the wrong category! :sweat:

3 Likes

You can do that if you want to. But it’s really up to you.

1 Like

Yeah, I think I will. It seems like the best option :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes, if you know that there’s a chance that you will update it a lot/ update more than once (which does happen as Episode can end up having more updates with newer animations, clothing, background, etc, and your directing can end up improving, and you want to add in more that you couldn’t do before) you should add a skip option. However, sometimes readers accidentally click on skip, so if you do add a skip option, be sure to ask the reader if they are sure they want to skip, just in case.

1 Like

I’m going to perform some thread necromancy because I can’t find open recent threads that clarify this, but…

If I add a skip option for people who’ve already played the chapter, are their gains and points saved? Or would I have to give them the option to skip and ask them “did you choose x or y?” to make sure the following chapter is consistent with the version they saw?

1 Like

I’ve heard other authors say that readers shouldn’t/can’t skip episodes for that exact reason - the gains and points apparently don’t save. Giving the option to skip with questions sounds like the best way to circumvent this, so you’ll probably have to do something like that :sparkling_heart:

Also I can’t believe this is still open lol, thank you for resurrecting it! :rofl::pray:

1 Like

Good to know! I’ll definitely have to find a way to incorporate questions then. I worry about people giving up on my story if they have to re-read.

1 Like