Allowing readers to select a stocked avatar as the main character

I’m using the classic style so I can’t exactly let them customize their character. But I will create a set of different characters and let them select the one they think looks most appealing. How can I do this?

I like your idea of giving the reader a choice to pick a character. Just keep in mind that you will have to create a script for every single character (and if you have male and female characters, don’t forget to change their pronouns). Here is one way you can do it:

#Step 1: Character Selection
I’d suggest doing to this template by uwe.episode or using this template (don’t forget to credit if you use it)

I know that template was made for ink, but I’m pretty sure it’ll still work for you (you just might need to adjust the scale of every character).

Step #2: Gains*
When the player selects their character, I would add a gain. Example:
NARR
You’ve chosen CHARACTER1
gain chosen_character1

Step #3: Branching out
Every episode you write will follow this basic structure:
if (chosen_character1) {
Your script for this version goes here
}
if (chosen_character2) {
Your script for this version goes here
}
and so on…

Hope this helped!

What you can do is create 1 main character and create 3 or more “pre-made” characters to choose from. Inside each choice, make the main character become the pre-made characters. This will make the main character look exactly like the character that was chosen so that you can use 1 main character for the rest of your story, instead of having to create 3 different stories with each pre-made character.

label change_avatar
@MAIN stands screen center

NARR
    Which look do you want to play as?

choice
"Character 1" {

@MAIN becomes CHAR1
goto change_avatar

} "Character 2" {

@MAIN becomes CHAR2
goto change_avatar

} "Character 3" {