Alphabet directing tips!

I thought this would be an interesting way to give new authors tips!

Basically I will start with 1 tip starting with A and then the next person replies with a tip starting with B and so on and so forth. (When we reach the end, we loop back to A)

I feel like this will just spice up the variety of tips. :smiley:

Tip A) Actions! Actions are used to make your story more animated, you can use talking actions when characters are speaking like this:
CHARACTER (talk_armscrossed)
“Oh no he didn’t”.
And you can use actions for other things such as sleeping, E.g. @CHARACTER is idle_eyesclosed_sleep.

(If those aren’t actual actions, pardon my stupidity, I am in geography class and I am physically drained.)

5 Likes

B is for Backgrounds

Here’s how to upload them: 🖼 HOW TO: Upload Cover / Background / Overlay
When you upload a background, it needs to be one of these sizes:

And your background name has to start with INT. or EXT.

HOW TO resize images: HOW TO: Resize Images - #29 by JemU776 (resize your backgrounds)
Another great link:

You can also upload backgrounds and loop their speeds: DARA’S TEMPLATE: Looping a 3-zone Background with Speeds
Backgrounds can also be uploaded as overlays to achieve the fading technique: DARA’S GUIDE: How to "FADE" Characters

3 Likes

C is for CREDITING
Credit anyone who gives you CC (Custom Content, AKA backgrounds and overlays which are not of your creation.)
A good thing to ensure you do is the ask them if there is any specific way to credit them or whether it is fine just to put “readerMessage Credit to USER for CONTENT! with Credit:”

D is for DIRECTING HELPER

Directing help can get you to:

Where you can adjust filters, overlays, speechbubbles, and character placement(spotting).

Yeah, @X.O.IcySnows you are so right, giving credit is so, so, so important :clap: :sparkling_heart:

E is for entering and exiting

Example:

@CHARACTER enters from SIDE to POSITION

@CHARACTER enters from left to screen center

Another example, adding time:

@CHARACTER enters from SIDE to POSITION in S

@CHARACTER enters from left to screen center in 2

Another Example adding animation:

@CHARACTER enters from SIDE to POSITION AND CHARACTER does it while walk_animation

@CHARACTER enters from left to screen center AND CHARACTER does it while walk_neutral

Example adding time and animation together:

@CHARACTER enters from SIDE to POSITION in S AND CHARACTER does it while walk_animation

@CHARACTER enters from left to screen center in 2 AND CHARACTER does it while walk_neutral

The positions that exist are:

And now for exiting:

@CHARACTER exits SIDE

Example:
@YOU exits left

Just like for entering, you can also add a time or walking animation or time and walking animation together.

There’s also page here on it:

2 Likes

F is for FILTERS
How to use filters!

2 Likes

G is for Guidelines
Follow Them!

1 Like

H is for "How To’s
Helpful

1 Like

I is for Internet
If you are writing a story about gangs, a disability e.g. autism or schizophrenia etc; then you need to know the topic well, Use the Internet and check the validity of your sources. If you’re a blind writer, you may offend people. (A blind writer is a writer who spreads stories on episode of which are not true or non-factual and can cause misconceptions on fact.)

For example, a blind writer had put all the characters WITH AUTISM as 1-2 types, The kind that repeats their words and has trouble to get words out, and the kind of autism in which the person will say random phrases over and over. (These are actually 2 types of autistic people at my school, so an example of the second is when my friend says “Sorry taylor, beyone had b-best music video of all time” and repeats it over and over AND no he doesn’t just say that, that is an example.) However as I was saying, I actually have autism myself and found no character representing version of autism I have along with a variety of others. So please use the internet and find a variety of different factors about the topic, that way you’re not being a blind author and steryotyping someone by accident. <3

1 Like

J is for Joseph Evans.

As in one of the most helpful directors in the community.
He has videos on YouTube ^^

2 Likes

OMG that was a mistake , i’m so disorientated XD

1 Like

Don’t worry. xD I do that to.
In the I for internet one. I had to go through and delete every repeated word, because my autism tends to make my brain forget that I typed something and I will will put it twice by mistake.

1 Like

OK, I edited it and thank you for letting me know XD

1 Like

Moved to Directing Helps and Tips since this is for directing tips. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

1 Like

K is for Kiss

Amazing thread here: 💋 HOW TO: Hug and Kiss (Ink & LL)

Video:

1 Like

Bump! This thread shall not die :ghost:

1 Like

L is for Layering

Thread which pretty much explains everything you need to know about layering
:arrow_heading_down:

1 Like

M is for Music

*Left out sound from the quotes, sorry but it starts with s, so its turn will come at some point :sweat_smile:

Can read more on sound/music fully here: DARA’S GUIDE: Using Sound Effects & Music :musical_note: :musical_score:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.