Am I the only one getting discouraged?

I’m just happy that there’s nothing wrong with you 'cause I really don’t care about read counts.
Okay, jokes aside…
There are two types of content: content that many people read, and content that readers love to read.
Those that are reviewed by Episode are stories that have lots of reads, regardless of how popular the author is.
For popular authors, it’s easy to get their story noticed, so their read count is high. Episode reviews stories that are high on the leaderboard and one of the criteria of a high-ranked story is the read count.
Take note: Episode reviews high read count stories, not limited to good stories.
If your story is good but not reviewed by Episode, it’s not bad. It’s just that your story isn’t popular enough, it’s a hidden gem. It’s worthy. So are you.

I’ve read stories that are allegedly “good” as it has so many read but my reaction be like “what the heck-”

I’m not saying the read count and gem count are useless. I’m saying it’s a nice bonus to pay off your hard work. But if you’re gonna use the same metrics people use to measure your story to measure your ability to write then you’re too harsh on yourself. People judge your story, but you’re judging yourself.

4 Likes

I just don’t get episodes, and there never ending hypocrisy. I literally just saw an SWY entry that is about a celebrity (I was always under the assumption that was against guidelines) But nope it’s approved/reviewed/trending. I don’t know what is wrong with my last 2 contest entries but I am beyond disgusted at this time with Episode and their constant bending of rules.

1 Like

I think Episode means by that, is to not promote the real celebrity (which is hard not to fall into that trap when you’re adapting a real-life celebrity and giving them a huge role).
I mean, if the celebrity is based on a real celebrity but not the exact image of them, I still consider this acceptable (although not recommended). However, if it’s basically adapting a real-life celebrity, I’d say that’s a big no-no.

Maybe the fault was never about you. I would say if Episode gave a story that violated the guidelines a green light then it’s on both Episode (for being careless about rules they created) and the author (for being careless and irresponsible).
We couldn’t change everyone, so I suppose we should change ourselves. We don’t have to put them down, we just discourage the community members from following the said paths.

1 Like

Not trying to put anyone down, I guess kudos to whatever you have to do to get noticed. I definitely wouldn’t be using a celebrity without their permission. In fact, I have a message to Sebastian Bach currently with permission to use him in a story.

1 Like

To me, it isn’t about getting noticed. I write because I have a story to tell and if no one finds it? Well, not my loss haha.
Also, it might have something to do with time. The longer you as a writer stay in this community, the more reads you’ll get in a given time.
Some took a month to get to… 0 reads, while others can get to 500.
Know this, the author who took a month to get to 0 reads is quite a well-known author right now, and that story I’ve mentioned is her first.
Everyone starts small, but the highest grounds require the most steps to reach.

1 Like

:two_hearts::+1:t3:

1 Like