Am I the only one that feels weird about the way they colored the East Asian girl in the front page cover?

Agree!

1 Like

No, actually, that is a generalization. If you think about it, Asian stereotypes are the yellow skin. It’s true, some Asians do have a yellow undertone, but Asian generalizations do include that skin color and the peace sign. I don’t think I’m reaching. I think I’m actually speaking based off of my experiences, thank you :heart:

7 Likes

I really think you are over thinking this… not everything needs to be analyzed to a microscopic level with regards to colour… honestly can we all stop making out racial issues that are not there…

4 Likes

I can see where you’re coming from, but it’s not racist or weird at all! They’re representing all skin types- and skin has all diff kinds of undertones! i think the fact that the asian girls tone is different from the WHITE girl’s, it actually feels more inclusive. After all, if were gonna say that the asian girl’s skin tone is too “different” from the white girl’s skin, then boy oh boy, talk about the black girl’s skin color being waaay different xP Fact is, many white ppl have pink undertones, but that doesn’t mean EVERY persons undertone is pink! Some ppl have pink undertones, some have orange, green or yellow; heck ppl can even have blue undertones. Its all about the extremes; for this image specifically, There’s only ONE asian so, as others have mentioned before, yellow is the most common undertone for their background. and they’re trying to cover as much ground possible. This of course in no way means all asians have yellow undertones. Now if they used STRAIGHT yellow for her skin? That’d be a completely different story and id 100% agree that the image is SUPER uncomfortable offensive and racist.

4 Likes

This can actually bring a great discussion. While a yellow skin tone isn’t solely asian (I, for example, am that exact skin tone and I’m North African), it’s mostly associated with Asian people as this is where it’s vastly spread.
A lot of people don’t know this but there are three types of melanin: eumelanin, pheomelanin and PCTA. These types of melanin “colors” different places of our bodies and the mix of these help us have a particular skin color. Eumelanin and pheomelanin are the responsible of our skin tones. Eumelanin creates dark skin tones (so black and brown) while pheomelanin creates yellow and red undertones. The mix of these (or the absence of one of these) creates a skin color. The whole purpose of melanin is to absorb light in order to not demage the skin with UV radiation (which is why people who have darker skin tones tend to not wrinkle as fast as people with lighter skin tones). The majority of the population have eumalanin (which is black and brown skin) but what people don’t know is that a percentage of people demonstrate melanin with a yellow tone. This yellow tone isn’t as widely spread in white communities (they can still have it, in the extreme south of Europe for example it’s pretty common) as a strong melanin is not as necessary as places where the sun and the heat are more common. This means that a yellow skin tone isn’t something every Asian have but it’s still a trait of the people that live in sunniest areas. Undertones are a pretty complicated topic, if you look at your skin it’s never white, black, yellow, brown or what other colors. There are different complections that are accurately “designed” by our bodies in order to survive in our places of origin.
So, in conclusion, Asian having a yellow skin is just a representation of how their bodies react to the sun, I hope that this explains well why they get represented this way!

7 Likes

I’m Asian and I don’t feel weird about it. We’ve always been considered Yellow anyway.

3 Likes

its not that deep lmao :confused:

3 Likes

I just wanted to hop in here

The Asian looks Asian?

hmm-sa-the-floor-here-is-made-out-of-floor-3111590

1 Like

Buddy, with the peace sign it seems like a generalization. It’s not racist, some won’t or will find it offensive— doesn’t matter. She prob said that because she got tired of seeing asians as “yellow.” Maybe she wanted to see more variety in the skin tones— who knows. I’m pretty sure there are other replies that have said the same thing you’ve said and I’ve said. Get over it. If you didn’t find it that serious, then there’s no need to insult other people who having certain viewpoints. It’s childish, and this thread wasn’t meant for negativity. She’s suspended so she won’t be seeing that anyway

1 Like

i JuSt WaNtEd To HoP iN hErE

not all Asians look like that/not all Asians are “yellow”

4 Likes

Yeah, but that’s the most commonly spread undertone, as has been explained several times.

1 Like

Idk what the issue it looks like ink olive skin tone, I use that for my character and I’m Asian :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

@SpookySherry but you like a comment which was made to make fun of someone else. if you’re all for “no negativity!:leg::ear:t2::woman_fairy:” then don’t allow negativity towards other people, even though it’s in your favour.

2 Likes

I wasn’t trying to hate on anyone

Okay

you might wanna delete your part of the convo we just had since it’s off topic and we’re gonna get flagged. i’m deleting mine now

You know what, you’re right! But that doesn’t mean I’m going to be reciprocate it and say something negative, myself. No matter how much I would like to say something negative because of how annoyed I am, I’ll like a comment instead of making fun of another person :woman_shrugging:t2:

You’re right, but I didn’t preach about positivity. I preached about leaving it instead of dragging it on with something childish :blush:
Edit: unless I did then correct me

2 Likes