Am I Writing Correctly?

I am working on my first story. It’s actually based on a complete story I wrote out long hand before this (as in like an actual novel length story). I’m just trying to translate it to this kind of platform. However, I’m not sure anyone does this or this is the type of thing people read on Episode. Though I am changing it up a bit (putting in choices for the characters and a point system) am I just wasting my time? It seems to me people typically like the “Choose your own” story and create your own character stuff. As much as I’m not against writing that, I find this form of narrative more fun. I was wondering what people thought about that sort of thing. I was also wondering where I could find maybe some sort of guideline on what language I can or can’t use. Is there no cussing at all? Is mild swearing okay? If there’s some kind of official stance on this that I can read it would be helpful. Any feedback is appreciated (hope I posted in the right area).

4 Likes

That’s completely fine! And it seems awesome, honestly.
My first story was based off a comic I drew when I was 11-13 years old. :joy: I changed some things, too, to add a point system, choices, more of a love interest, etc. Just to make it more like an Episode story. By that, I mean making it more visual, adding choices, and adding a point system or whatever you think makes your story unique.
It’s fine to add a lot of narration, but Episode is more of a movie than a book. Remember to show more, rather than tell everything. People want to see things happening. It can work if you narrate while also showing the scene.
You can have cuss words, but you need to include some sort fo warning at the beginning of the chapter. For example, “Warning: Mature Themes and Strong Language.”
If there’s any swearing, even if there’s a *, you need to include a warning at the beginning of every chapter.

3 Likes

I actually write screenplays as well (which is all about the “show and not tell” stuff) so I’m very used to being visual. I do find this program limiting in reactions. That or I find myself using animations that look like the emotion I’m trying to convey (even if they aren’t labeled that way lol). I also find myself limited with backgrounds so working on making my own. I think at this point I have more dialogue than narration but I’m also afraid I don’t have enough choices (as of yet) to make it compelling. There needed to be a whole story intro with no choices to explain why the character is where she is so I guess I just hope people don’t get too bored. My story will need a warning for various themes so I’ll add that in. Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

You can use custom poses. If so, you may need to warn the reader, offer limited CC, or allow readers to choose the skin color, or something like that.
There a lot of people here who make backgrounds, as well as many people with drives full of great backgrounds.
Choices don’t need to be major. They can be minor, like choosing a dish from a menu, choosing how to respond to your friend, or how to react to a bully. I think 3 choices per chapter (excluding outfit choices and customization) is good enough.
Just make sure that the whole story intro isn’t just one big explanation dump. Try to spread out the information a little and present it in an engaging way.
Happy writing and good luck!

1 Like

Same here! My style of writing is not Episode style and I am adjusting to it. Here’s my take-
There are authors that focus on storyline, plot, and less choices. They write a story.
Then there’s authors who focus more on letting readers choose how they end up.
Honestly, I like when authors put work into the storyline and plot. I don’t mind having less choices. But there is abundance of people like that. People play Episode because they want to choose what their character does. I would say tell your story, but also add enough choices, where the reader can choose things like outfits, things to say (like if someone is getting bullied and the reader can choose if they want to be scared or brave)
You don’t have to big choices. I am definitely not doing that. I’m writing a story where there is no name and CC customization. There are going to be barely any important choices because I have already written the story.
On Episode, you can write stories where your reader can play as themselves (as in they are the MC) OR YOU, THE AUTHOR, CREATES AN MC AND THE READER PLAYS AS THAT MC. They are reading your MC that you created story. (that did not make sense, but I think you get what I mean)
As for what you can and can’t put in your story, the guidelines have everything that is forbidden.
Hopefully this helped and sorry if it was really long xx :grin:

2 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this doesn’t fit into any Creator’s Corner categories. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :wink:

1 Like

I do the same this when I write. I think that form of writing and narration is easier to write and people seem to enjoy it. I wouldn’t worry about it to much.

If you are unsure if a word will be considered swearing and breaking guidelines its best to just leave it out or censor it.

1 Like