Amberose's Live Thoughts on Your Stories

Title: A Spark of Hope

Author: J MO

Style: Limelight

Description: Your exboyfriend from the past moves back and your bestfriend of many years is not okay with it. How will you handle the drama?

How many episode would I want you to read?

Three please. :wink:

Cover picture:

Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/5912047137980416

Additional Note:

You can play from two points of view in certain episodes.

1 Like

Would you be interested in reviewing mine?

1 Like

Yeah, absolutely. I am a bit backed up right now, so you might have to wait about a week though

Hello, Thank you for this thread… I hope you wouldn’t mind giving my story a review. This is my first ever story published yesterday!

Title: Lazy Girl Rain

Style: Ink
Genre: Comedy
Author: Sripriya
Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/4625000541782016

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the review! :smiley:
Also I’m not sure if Rahul will be a love interest because I change the roles of my characters a lot lol

1 Like

@KerriStrwberry - Mischief Night

• Yay! Finally a different kind of intro. It’s like not quite an author note and not quite a character on screen introducing everything, but at the same time it is both of those things. It’s like kind of a hybrid of the two, which tbh is more of a risk since that’s two ways most people hate stories starting with, and yet somehow you pulled it off and it totally works

• I feel like there was something off with the shoves. It was either the timing… Like the fall was happening before the shove was finished, or they were too far apart so it never looked like Brooklyn actually touched Mr Narrator. I couldn’t tell but I think it was one of those things.

• When Landon and Divya enter, I do worry the breaking-the-fourth-wall intro loses its touch a little bit. I think I’ll have to see how it plays out before forming a final opinion, but I preferred it just being Brooklyn who was talking to the readers… I guess that’s why I liked when Landon warned her about people losing interest lol.

• There was a little error with the transition. Basically the kitchen background showed for a second and then there was the shades transition.

• When Brooklyn enters the kitchen and then walks up to Landon and Divya, have her do it while walk_rear.

• I’m also picking up on pauses between each line of dialogue. I’m not sure what your script is like. If I were to guess though, it feels like maybe you’re resetting all the character after they talk to do a non-speaking snaimation, but it’s still taking up a beat. If this is the case, try using the & symbol instead of @. Example: not using actual lines from your script though lol
    BROOKLYN (talk_neutral_loop)
    I don’t like Halloween.
    &BROOKLYN is idle_shiftweight
    LANDON (talk_doubtful)
    Well, too bad.

• Your Halloween costume ideas were pretty great considering what I know of Brooklyn. Like, they suited her personality since she’s not really into the Halloween theme. And I liked how you changed her hair for the Elm St option.

• I think you had a transition of iris in at the end of that scene, but it should have been iris out.

• Outside the Halloween Party, a few of your BG characters look way too big. Consider where they’re standing in relation to the house when you spot them.

• Omg :heart_eyes: Destiny’s Child?!? That was sooooo good!

• Landon changing outfits was both hilarious and a really smart idea. I loved the animation you used for his reveal as well.

• I think at some point you might have spot placed the speech bubble but you havent reset it. It’s always pointing to the top right no matter who’s talking.

• When it opens to the graveyard scene, there’s a fade out transition when it should be fade in.

• The way you’ve animated the ghost/spirit is amazing. The more realistic it gets, the more it scares me haha.

• I love how she seemingly fell out of the sky. Perfect place to end your first episode too and great length.

• Ok, I may have been wrong with the transitions. I think you’re getting the in/out right but you’re “placing the scene” using @ symbols when it should be & like I mentioned before. That will prevent the awkward pause before the fade ins.

• Well I have no idea what Axis and Ember’s relevance is to Brooklyn right now, but awww their little courtship is sooooo cute.

• “What are referring too” should be “to” during the terrace scene.

• Now just a minute… Is Ember Brooklyn? That’s what I’m think when she’s getting her wings clipped and changing her clothes… And if that’s the case then ooooh interesting!

• Those eyes!

• I love the variety of skin tones. Especially the ash one for Dracula! You’ve got great characters.

• Another good spot to end the episode. It was a nice cliff hanger.

• Those door overlays at the beginning of episode 3 look great!

• So my knowledge on vampires is based on Twilight, but I think you’re doing a great job for Dracula anyway. The eyes were pretty cool, and I liked that you gave him super speed, plus the ability to smell.

• Ooh I really like the ghosts. I’m sort of wondering how young they are and if they’re supposed to be brother and sister or if they’re a couple.

• Dahlia and Elle’s dance made me laugh.

• Where Brooklyn is locked up, Drac’s speech bubble covers his own face.

• Oh gosh! What happened to Mr Narrator’s clothes?! :scream:

• Lol, I almost did not see Lance on that disco ball! Side note: hi Jem! If you’re still stalking this thread, I see you in this story. Nice dress.

• I think it’s really great that you’re still including the “human” world. It’s like each episode has really covered different aspects of this story, which I really didn’t think it was possibly since the title made me think it would be a short story, but somehow you’ve got chapters of perfect length and still have enough content to keep going. It’s impressive.

• I liked how Brooklyn ran through the forest. There was the wrong transition used though in terms of out/in.

• Ok, I was wondering what Brody was hahaha. I feel like the tattoo should have given it away.

• A couple of scenes in episode 5 have had characters “pop” in.

• The drink names at the bar were hilarious!

• “I thought for sure she’d at least have her top off with you by now” HAHAHA

• In the grave yard you will need to move Landon back a layer when they’re looking at the phone.

• Part of me is like okaaay make out with the hot guy you just saw turn into a wolf, nbd, totally normal, but the other part of me is like idk, considering Brooklyn’s hair colour, of course she would make out with a werewolf. Is it weird that I think that’s a hair colour thing? Perhaps.

• I love the banter between Arros and Aiya.

Ok, so I’m all caught up. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed that… which tbh I wasn’t sure if I would because I’m a lot like Brooklyn and don’t really get into Halloween. Lol. But yeah, it was quite funny and your characterization was on point. My only few tips would be to polish those transitions between scenes and to spot direct a few speechbubbles as there were several that kept pointing to the wrong character. Here’s some guides that will probably help with that:
For speech bubbles: 💭 HOW TO: Spot direct Speech Bubble
For transitions: HOW TO: Transitions
For using the &/@ symbols: https://episodeknitters.wordpress.com/tips-and-advice/directing-tips-help/the-difference-between-and/
I think once you fix up those small errors, you’re on your way to a hit :blush:

3 Likes

You’re welcome
And hahaha, I can relate! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Soooooon… Hah :smiley: I really want to finish 3rd chapter before my turn. I think I did a half only.

And I read your stalker’s message, so I know that you’re changing it :smiley:

2 Likes

Lol, I can just leave you at top of the waiting list until you’re actually ready? Reserve your spot in a sense…

Bahaha, good to know! :grin:

1 Like

:scream:oh wow that’s quite the review :joy: thank you for pointing out some of my errors with transitions and speech bubbles I will have to fix those I had someone else mention that to me as well just haven’t gotten around to those edits yet.

• OMG :heart_eyes: thank you for noticing Destinys Child no one has mentioned that to me :joy::joy: I tried to make new costumes because I wanted the real “costumes” to the actual monsters lol

-Yes! I wanted Brooklyn’s costumes to not be the run of the mill everyday costume so I had to be inventive with her.

-I’m glad you like my sense of humor and that it translates well lol

-The Ghosts are siblings that’s why they look similar to each other I’m not sure if I mentioned that yet but I will in the upcoming chapter!

-Aiya and Arros :heart_eyes: their fight was so much fun to direct

-I felt like it was necessary to still include the human realm as well as the Pumpkin Realm because Brooklyn’s friends are a huge part of her life

-Thank you those door we’re tricky but I got it to work :joy::joy:

-YES!! I have plenty more context for this story it’s just beginning :heart_eyes::weary: it’s going to get too much better!

You gave me soo much to read I don’t know if I commented on it all but thank you for bringing to my attention all the small edits I need to fix. I’m glad that you can relate Brooklyn since you both have so much in common! I hope you continue to read what comes up next! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

First of all

That’s totally fine. You don’t need to reply to every point hahaha, just the things you want to is fine. It’s just nice to know it’s been read and received and hopefully helpful too. Now I’m about to do the same back to you… (but only for two points lol)

1. Can’t believe no one else has commented about DC… I know they’re old, but like… they’re iconic! And yeah, I picked up on a few more creative costumes. Like Dave Grohl lol

2. With the pumpkin realm and human realm, I can not tell you how many fantasy stories seem to completely neglect the real world once their characters get to their fantasy land, so I was happy to see you did keep it and glad to hear it;'s still going to be important.

2 Likes

No problem! I don’t mind replying to all the bulletin points and actually appreciate it! And I know I missed one after I first replied :joy::joy:

-I’m happy that you loved the opening btw I want my story to stand out and be different from the norm and that’s exactly why I created this story to break away from the monotony of the everyday episodes that people see all the time.

-I know Destiny’s Child is my whole childhood :joy::heart_eyes: I was surprised because it too time to make them as close to they as I possibly could :weary::joy: and YES!! Dave Grohl! So happy you caught all my references! I am a 90s kid so I like to throw some references in there lol

• Yes! I hate when stories neglect the real world in fantasies there’s actually people that care about the MC that you neglect to give background to! Landon and Divya are Brooklyn’s best friends to not have them included would be a waste you know!
2 Likes

We must just be close in age and that’s why I picked up on all the easter eggs :grin: The poor kids who read your story won’t even know what they’re missing. Lol. And yeah, I could tell that with the opening. It’s also nice you kept Mr Narrator as a staple who occasionally comes in again

4 Likes

Yes! I’m 28 in December so I like giving some 90s nostalgia :joy: and tbh I almost forgot to add Mr Narrator that’s way when he came back in chapter 3 he was “depressed/naked” :weary::joy::joy: because Brooklyn made him sad :joy::joy: but I used it to my advantage :shushing_face:

4 Likes

That was funny! I almost thought it was the naked character glitch :laughing:

1 Like

:joy::joy:Yes! Purely intentional I’m happy it makes you laugh! I have such a cheesy/sarcastic sense of humor so when people tell me like think what I write is funny it’s such a compliment :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks. But just like a lazy horse I gotta be lashed. :joy: Deadline makes me work faster.

2 Likes

In the case, chop chop. It’ll probably be Wednesday I get up to you … And my Wednesday is your Tuesday :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Hey, I’d love it if you reviewed my new story!
The Art of Broken Hearts by Cheye
:heart:
25%20PM

http://episodeinteractive.com/s/5683158464724992

1 Like

Thanks for heads up. I was staying up until 1 am last night, but eh, who needs sleep anyways when u have energy drinks and coffee.

3 Likes