American government shut down

Hey people. I’m from Britain, so obviously I’m not that updated on American politics, however everywhere I look there’s something about the “American government shut down”. Can someone care to explain what it is and why it’s happening? I do have deep empathy for those in America right now, god damn Trump makes Theresa May look good.

7 Likes

Eee, okay, so I’m from Britain as well, but I’ve taken a look at the news, and it seems like Trump wants funding for the wall he wants to build (this wall is to stop people coming in from Mexico) but people won’t give him any so he shut down the government and said he wouldn’t reopen it unless he got the funding? Airport staff are struggling, so’s the damned FBI, there’re coast guard food shortages, and someone’s son wants to sell his drawings to pay their bills. Government websites are insecure, there’s unsafe food because food inspections have stopped, 42,000 immigration cases have been delayed, parks are struggling to stay open, the governor Andrew himself is paying $65,000 a day just to keep the statue of liberty open.

And this is all because Mister Trump didn’t get what he wanted.

Apparently, now, after 35 days, he’s agreed to fund federal agencies for three weeks, but that money isn’t going to come from what money he’s keeping to build the stupid wall. He said:

“If we don’t get a fair deal from Congress the government will either shut down on February 15 again, or I will use the powers afforded to me under the laws and the constitution of the United States to address this emergency.”

why is he so stupid

9 Likes

American, here :smile:
To explain in a shortened way, Trump shut down the goverment to build his border wall, and may Americans go without pay, federal police have to work without pay, and public museums are closed. But… many rich politicians act like they don’t care, because most of them haven’t worried about money in a long time.

1 Like

Yeah… we were in part government shutdown. Every year the government decides on a budget in a certain amount of time. If they don’t agree they shut down the government. Basically its democratics want their way and Republicans want their way. Trump is a Republican and he wants funding for a wall on the Mexican boarder. The Democrats don’t want this so they can’t agree so they either shut down part of the government or the whole government. We are open till the 15th then it will go back to partial shutdown. People who are government officials minus those who are politicians work for free until a agreement is made (if they “recall” you back to work) they get back pay but it does not help them in the meantime.

1 Like

Exactly!

1 Like

You said It perfectly and I live in the U.S

but I did not know this and it makes me cry

2 Likes

So it’s basically when the two sides don’t agree something in the government, so they have to shut it down. Trump recently said it’s coming to an end, which is good.

As a Republican who supports Trump, I don’t really find this all his fault. It’s both parties’ since they can’t agree.

I do support the border wall, and do want to stop illegal immigrants from entering the country, but now I’m getting off topic here.

This government shut down usually happens every year.

Thanks for reading. You probably didn’t enjoy it, but :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Government shutdowns occurs when Congress and the President disagree, I believe.

In this case, the government shutdown over disagreements over funding for the $5 billion America-Mexico border wall that President Trump wishes to build.

Personally, I think that’s ridiculous since the majority of illegal immigrants come to America by overstaying work/vacation VISAs. The money would be better used to fix the more immediate issues that need to be addressed.

During them, most government workers are temporarily layed off. About 420,000 people who have been deemed essential to running the country are required to work despite not recieving pay. I believe the Congressmen and those in Parliament continue with pay. (making it a partial government shutdown)

Government shutdowns happen relatively often, but this is the longest shutdown in US history. (in 40ish years) This shutdown is about 35 days old as of now. (The second longest government shutdown was 21 days by President Clinton)

President Trump signed in a bill that will end this partial shutdown until February 15. So for three weeks, the government shutdown will be ended. After that, it’s unsure if a compromise will have been reached so the shutdown could continue.

Some of the closed government services include the National Science Foundation, the Enviromental Protection Agency, the Department of Comerce, the Department of Labour, the Department of Education, and even the Food and Drug Administration.

Do you know what that means? That means currently food checks have been halted. Our food supply could be contaminated.

Also, most TSA agents (the people who work at airports, ensuring no threats to national security enter America) have stopped showing up to work due to lack of pay.

Some government agencies are still open though, like the Center for Disease Control and Provention and National Institues of Health.

It’s important to consider that not all of the blame for this can be put on President Trump. Both parties must reach an agreement.

That being said, here is a quote that President Trump supposedly stated about the Obama shutdown before he became president.

"A shutdown falls on the President’s lack of leadership. He can’t even control his own party and get people together in a room. A shutdown means the president is weak." -Donald Trump (maybe)

Although this hasn’t been proven to be a direct quote, here are some real quotes from him that support the general message:
(all of these are regarding the Obama shutdown)

“If you say who gets fired, it always has to be the top. Problems start from the top, and they have to get solved from the top, and the president’s the leader.” -*Donald Trump

"You have to get everybody in a room. You have to be a leader. The president has to lead. He has to get (the Speaker of the House) and everybody else in a room, and they have to make a deal.” -Donald Trump

heh, yeah so i know a little about the topic.

3 Likes

:joy: Well there you go, Trump. How are you feeling now?

2 Likes

honestly the hypocrisy.

the Obama shutdown was only 16 days. (less than half the time of the Trump shutdown) and it was over Universal Healthcare, not a literal long solid block of cement.

sobs why is an actual cheese puff my president

3 Likes

When you put it that way, yes. Food could be contaminated, the statue of liberty could close, airport staff are struggling, parks are failing to keep open, and why?

Oh, because people don’t want to fund a “literal long solid block of cement” :joy:

2 Likes

the whole thing frustrates me so much.

i agree that illegal immigration and border crossings are a crises that need to be attended to, but what the heck.

is a literal wall the best idea you could come up with.

have you ever heard of a ladder.
or a tunnel.

1 Like

dude a person died at Yosemite National Park because there weren’t enough workers there to take the necessary safety procautions.

this government shutdown is killing the President’s own citizens. are we even a priority to our own government?

this information wasn’t even released to the public for a whole week.

3 Likes

Lol he’s just jealous of China’s great wall.

But seriously, why would you shutdown the government because of a wall. And it wouldn’t work well anyway. Maybe use the money and time to actually help people?

5 Likes

Well yes, actually, we are. That’s the whole reason this shutdown is happening. The parties can’t agree on whether or not we should build the border wall, which Trump is building to keep illegal immigrants out.
He’s trying to protect us by building that wall.

So the gov’t is trying to protect us but then this happens

3 Likes

well, what about the opioid crises for example? that’s a bit more urgent. and easily resolved implementation of stricter regulation and medical marijuana legalization.

but by shutting down the government, he’s stopped any progress on that issue.

shouldn’t he prioritize the internal issues that kill more of his citizens than illegal immigrants do before shutting down the entire government?

1 Like

What regulations would be stricter so that it would stop opioid crises?

Pfft, what!? That is insane! The president will sacrifice one of his one people for a wall? They’re a fellow HUMAN!

2 Likes

This had me dead :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes