Anchor Point Help

Hi.

So, when I’m trying to rotate this overlay, to make it look like someone is throwing something, the anchor point is wrong. I have been trying to fix it, but, the overlay still looks weird when it rotates. (I have tried lots of different anchor points.)

This is the overlay I’m using:

Tags: (Sorry if you don’t want to be tagged.)

The transparent space around the arm is kinda big. It might be easier to crop it so that the elbow is near the left edge.

But if I had to guess, I’d say the ideal anchor point of that image is maybe 0.5 0.25 .

2 Likes

Ok, thanks! I’ll try that. :slight_smile:

If I remember right hight is the second number no?

So it would be more

0.25 0.5
or I think more like 0.2 0.5

1 Like

Okay, so, I cropped the image as you said. Now it looks like this:

image0_6_-removebg-preview

However, I am still having some issues with rotating it. Every time I rotate it, it moves weirdly. (I’m trying to make it so that it looks like she is throwing the alarm clock.)

My Script

INT. MC BED - DAY with BLANKET2 to 1.720 -4 -4 in zone 1 at layer 1 with CLOCK to 0.424 127 194 in zone 3 at layer 0
&cut to zone 2
&zoom on 640 148 to 180% in 0 AND RAIN spot 0.902 202 21 in zone 2 AND RAIN moves to layer 0 AND RAIN is sleep_sit_neutral_loop AND RAIN faces right
@transition fade in black 2
@pause for a beat
@pause for a beat
&cut to zone 3
&zoom on 775 209 to 318% in 0
sound alarmclock_beep
&overlay CLOCK rotates -30 anchor point 0.5 0.5 in 0.3 then overlay CLOCK rotates 60 anchor point 0.5 0.5 in 0.3 then overlay CLOCK rotates 0 anchor point 0.5 0.5 in 0.3
@overlay FIST create
&overlay FIST shifts to 2 185 in zone 3 AND overlay FIST scales to 0.316 0.316 in zone 2 AND overlay FIST opacity 100% in 0
&zoom reset
@pause for a beat
@overlay FIST shifts to 55 175 in zone 3 in 2
@pause for a beat
&overlay FIST rotates -30 anchor point 0.5 0.5 in 1 AND overlay CLOCK shifts to 100 229 in zone 3 in 1
NARR
PAUSE!

How it Looks:

ezgif.com-video-to-gif

1 Like

Oh, that jumping issue, I had that in my story, and I never fixed it 'cause the overlay was rejected anyway. :frowning_face:

It’s not the size, shape, or anchor point that’s the issue with that one, I had the same issue with a roughly square overlay.

I never figured out how to fix that, my only guess was to “fix” the shift in the same line that it rotates

&overlay FIST shifts to 40 200 in zone 3 in 0 AND overlay FIST rotates -30 anchor point 0.5 0.5 in 1 AND overlay CLOCK shifts to 100 229 in zone 3 in 1

That or ask Dara.

2 Likes

I know this doesn’t answer your question, but could you just use the pass_football_serious animation instead?
I guess it’s overhand so might not work if you want underhand… but :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

the problem is that you change the anchor poin after you move the hand.

When you will rotate overlay ALWAIS change the anchor point before you move it.

To understand why:
Anchor point is a point ON overlay so basicly its a way you say to script…please hold my overlay in by the top left corner…atc

So the moment you change overlay anchor point it changes position on screen even you havent shift command there.

So first create overlay
then change the size
then set anchor point (and desired angle in case you want the overlay to be already rotated before you move it) in 0 time
then set the starting position
then opacity to make it visible

and after this move the hand and use the rotation in time.

When you do it like this you will see that Your starting possition will be on different spot than you have it now.

1 Like

what you sugest will not help as explained above.:wink:

@Avarose456

&overlay FIST create
&overlay FIST rotates 0 anchor point 0 0.5 in 0
&overlay FIST shifts to 2 185 in zone 3 (you will have different numbers here because you have to shift it with already changed anchor point)
&overlay FIST scales to 0.316 0.316 (you do not need to write zone to scale - only to shifts)
&overlay FIST opacity 100% in 0
&zoom reset
@pause for a beat
@overlay FIST shifts to 55 175 in zone 3 in 2 (again here you will have different numbers next to shifts)
@pause for a beat
&overlay FIST rotates -30 anchor point 0 0.5 in 1
&overlay CLOCK shifts to 100 229 in zone 3 in 1

Anchor point explained:

2 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Closed: Marked as solved by thread op :v: