Animation Update Feedback Thread

Either ways, we will have another update. Which is natural and has to happen. However this time the animations will come back in a different form as Tory stated. So hopefully the new update will be something that doesn’t affect the characters that much, and can also perhaps add some small minor changes that people who weren’t a fan of some of the older animations, can feel good with too.

2 Likes

People were angry because this highly demotivated them and took away the feeling that we’ve all loved and cherished for a while. Yes, change needs to happen, but usually the change that episode gives us is usually not that deep or worrisome. This change almost made many authors quit.

A lot of people resonate with Episode and love it deeply and that update really made a negative impact on it.

We do want an update but we also want a preview of it that way we can give feedback before they finalize it.

4 Likes

I’m aware of the major differences between 2D vs 3D, that’s something I as a graphic designer come to contact with daily. Have you ever watched cartoons or read a comic book? 2D has often exaggerated face expressions than actors in a movie. I never said I was for real-life realism, I said that is more realistic, but I meant “realistic” in the context of 2D animation because people don’t react overly as 2D characters, obviously duh. I liked the update because it gave more cartoonish vibe and expressions. I read comments like people wanted the animations back because the update is too much for them and “not as natural as in the real life.” 2D is never going to be as real life. So please, don’t lecture me, lecture those who has no idea what they’re taking about.

3 Likes

Okay. That is your opinion and you’re allowed to have that. Thanks for sharing it! It’s always good to have another perspective. :blush:

2 Likes

I’m so glad that as a community we were able to get our babies back to normal.

Let’s hope that the revised update contains more of our feedback since that is Episode’s intention based on what Tory said.

3 Likes

Guys we should put this thread to rest since we’ve solved the issue. Any new feedback y’all want to put, please go to the Moving Forward thread that Tory created:

2 Likes

Oh, thank God! It didn’t take long!

3 Likes

If we’re first timer writers do we stop our story progress until this is finished ?

1 Like

no, I don’t think so cause the team will only say to update your story and refresh the browser. U can continue writing.

1 Like

I was previewing an unreleased episode of one of my stories and I noticed that even though the animations are back to normal they’re still… off? Like a character is doing the idle_armscrossed_neutral_loop (or something like that) animation and her mouth movement seems more cartoony than usual. Idk if it’s just me but if anyone else is experiencing this please lmk so I know if I’m the only one and can send a support ticket!

1 Like

I’m so very happy!!!

2 Likes

She looks like an angry wolf haha

5 Likes

The next tech update could just be tweaking the animations because some older animations are a bit off. For example, dance_armsup_bounce_loop is terrific but the teeth are missing when they’re smiling so it looks weird. Along with the tweaking, you could add new animations. Just don’t do anything too drastic to change the whole original look. I disliked how the lips moved bc it just looked so… off. Like it was so slow-motion and kind of overly cartoony compared to everything else. Not only that, but they were also pretty wonky too, and the wrinkles just ruins the whole thing. It doesn’t look good nor does it give out the appropriate emotions/tones, etc.

@Tory

2 Likes

If I’m honest the only thing I can say I really had an issue with in the update in the mouth, just didn’t look right, I liked the wrinkles could have been a little more subtle for the females but…

But otherwise I agree it wasn’t that bad of an update, but I do prefer the old look than the updated look just add a few wrinkles to the angry, happy etc without changing them too drastically…

When they do update again I do hope instead of changing the current animations from what we know and love they’ll add them as new animations…

I do a poor job with my words so it may not make a lot of sense what I wrote :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I still get that error with a few dance animations the this animation doesn’t exist your character maybe idle. Ik a lot of people have been having this issue.

@Tory

1 Like

Is it just me that doesn’t see any difference here?

The difference is in the eye, it’s a at_camera animation and before it wasn’t looking straight ahead as if at the person reading.

1 Like

Yeah. They where awful no offense to the episode team. Thankfully they changed them back tho.

The mouths and the eyebrows where the things that where different

2 Likes

I was talking about the post I replied to, but yeah I scrolled up and it did look quite awful especially the eyebrows imo. I’m glad they listened to feedback. Hopefully they can still implement change but in a more effective and aesthetically pleasing way

I can see it now, the eye is now closer to the bottom, although to me it doesn’t change the expression at all, especially from afar. I guess I haven’t looked close enough/used the animation enough to notice a difference though.

2 Likes

Oh yeah.

But the actual animation update was terrible. If you see the many photos that others and myself posted, you’ll see that it badly warped how our characters’ lips moved. It also removed a lot of subtlety. Im glad they rolled it back.

3 Likes