Animation Update Moving Forward Feedback Thread

Hi, @Tory

I feel like the work put into this update should not go in vain. I think once the bugs and mouth glitches have been fixed, it would be a great idea to take the most enhanced animations and add them as additional newly named animations. That way, we can explore them and incorporate them on our own time and use them when they feel they match the vibe of a particular scene or conversation.

For example, all the angry faces had the furrowed eyebrows and snarled lips. These could make a new range of “snarling” animations on their own.

And like the sad emotions had the furrowed brow. These can be a new range of “unsure” or “furrow_brow” animations.

And the scared emotions. I noticed that they tend to have a quivering lip. This is a nice touch I feel and you could release them as a new range of “scared_lip_quiver” animations.

Basically, leave all old animations as they are but add these enchaced ones with new names. Theres a lot that can be widely expressed and explored by keeping the old and optionally adding in the new.

Also, what I really do have to stress is fixing the bugs with the mouths. I see that they fully changed how the mouth shapes looked as well, which we dont want.

I hope this helps with taking the next step. We really do appreciate when you take our feedback into consideration.

11 Likes

Yes!!! Wonderfully said!!! The mouth movements should stay the same. And the more “emotive” animations should be separate animations and of course they would be better with the original mouth movements.

Thank you for this post @Dominique_Seth_Da_Si

2 Likes

Personally, something I’d like to see moving forward is for them to fix the portal animation warnings that pop up when you use any body type other than generic. While I get this isn’t a huge concern as, for the most part, the character still does the animations. However, there are times when a character starts a blank idle animation instead of the coded animation. I hope that in this new tech update, they are able to fix whatever causes this to happen.

7 Likes

Yes PLEASE!!! :pray:

2 Likes

Yeah I’ll send a support ticket bc it looks glitchy.

Wait what do you mean? The portal gives a warning and starts to glitch if you use an another body type other than generic?

I’ve used athletic and slim body types and it never gave me a warning…

Is this a common issue? Sorry I’m just so curious now.

1 Like

You’ll get a warning (an animation that I get it most on is “idle_sit_armscrossed_unimpressed_loop” ) that says
"Behavior "idle_sit_armscrossed_unimpressed_loop may not exist in all imitated body types for imitating character NAME. May display idle animation instead. "

Right now, I have this warning for 2-3 other characters (different animations. “walk_runway_loop” is another one that I get this error on all the time.)

3 Likes

Oh wow okay. And how long has this been happening for you?

1 Like

Awhile. I can’t even remember back how long I’ve seen this error. Basically since I first started coding and I’ve been here for 3 years. lol

And, it’s only when I use different body types. When I use generic body types (male or female), I don’t get the “warning”.

Pretty sure the bug has existed since they released the different body types. The fact that they have yet to fix it, and other long term well known bugs, I think is why people are still anxious about this animation update. The concern is they won’t actually fix what’s wrong. They’ll just throw a band-aid on it and say “good enough, here ya go”.

5 Likes

I fear they won’t fix them either. I truly hope they do though. I also hope that they DO take all of our feedback from the other thread and try to incorporate it into their plans for this whole animation update. I mean, obviously, they will re-update eventually. I just hope they can find a happy middle ground for us all.

3 Likes

Omg! Yeah, this happens to me too, I completely forgot because I don’t use those animations anymore because of the error message. I also get that for all the pregnant animations too!

2 Likes

I’m sure they’ll take our feedback for the animation update. They saw how much we HATED it. We’ve also never fought this hard for a big fix before. So I’m sure they’ll fix it. I’m pretty sure they won’t repeat the same mistake again.

4 Likes

If they could roll back the update and give us the old animations back, then I’m sure they’ll take our feedback too. I mean Tory herself made this thread and I’m sure she’ll take into account what we want.

3 Likes

Also the most probable reason why it may have not been fixed, is because as you said, it isn’t a big concern. Therefore not too many people complain about it. So therefore Episode doesn’t really shed light onto it.

Episode is a big app which has existed for years and they have a pretty big following. Big apps don’t really fix issues unless EVERYBODY for the most part complains about it.

It would be nice though if episode fixed that.

This is how I see it. Hopefully this makes sense :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree with most people here when they say that the new animations should be separate. I honestly believe that the animations should remain as they are.

But I did like some of the new animations. But lips were too glitchy and they moved so weirdly.

So when y’all release the new tech update please have the lips stay the same as they were before.

I really look forward to the change but I hope that this time it doesn’t affect the looks primarily.

Looking forward to better things :+1:t2:

5 Likes

Also in the other feedback thread, when someone asked if the new animations will come back, Tory said:

“We will still need to do a tech update to animations at a later date, so they will likely make their way back but in a different form.”

So it’s already confirmed that an animation update will happen, but we also know now that it won’t be the same as last time. It’ll probably focus on other parts.

That being said, we really don’t know what Tory meant by “different form” but since the announcement for rolling back the update said that the update in its “current form” had removed a lot of the subtlety that the community was used to, then that probably means that they’ll make sure the revised update doesn’t remove the subtlety.

2 Likes

@Tory
I’d really like to see more talking-to-phone animations. Running angry, running, and jumping. More pet-related animations. Also, I’ll never get enough of flirting animations :smiley:

9 Likes

Support! Phone conversations feel very bland at times, since there’s not that many animations to work with. I want to see characters laugh, cry, walking, running, and more on the phone. I also agree with your second suggestion! Animals still feel out-of-place currently, and more animations would really help! : )

3 Likes

I noticed some glitchy or weird bugs, like the horse riding animations. For example, my character’s leg seems skinnier than the other, and the shoe overlays the foot. I don’t know if that’s something done on purpose, as that character’s leg won’t be seen once the complete mechanism of the animation is put together, but that’s something I noticed. Another thing with the sitting animations is the leg tends to slowly glide upward as the character’s upper body moves like it has a mind of its own. It looks freaky. There are also some talking animations where my character’s lips don’t fully cover the mouth like there’s a tiny bit of black space between the lips and the face. These are some of the more minor glitches and oddities in the animations I found.

5 Likes