Announcing Fantastical! Our June 2018 Creator's Contest

Hello Episode Creators,

While we wait for the results for the Heroes and Villains entries it’s time for you all to get started on our next contest. Winners from this contest will be featured in June 2018! I give you…

Fantastical

Fantasy, whether set in the past, present or future, along with magic, mythical creatures and beings await you in this fantastical contest!

The specific guidelines are:

1. Your story must have “Fantastical” in the title. Stories without “Fantastical” in the title will be disqualified. While not required for entry it is strongly recommended that you format your title like this - “Fantastical: Worlds Collide.” This will help readers search for your story and identify it as a contest entry.

2. You must completely fill out this Google form after you publish your story. Be sure to include your story URL and NOT your share link. Your story URL is visible in the address bar of the web browser you use to access the Writer’s Portal and your script page. It should look something like this: https://www.episodeinteractive.com/write/story/My_Awesome_Story. (<- this part is very important, many, many people mess it up).

In the event that you send the wrong the link or make a mistake on your entry form, please send your story title, email address and the correct link in a support ticket so we can update your entry.

1. The primary focus of your story should be a fantasy story. You must write in the fantasy genre. You can choose to set your fantasy in any time period or location.

2. You may write in either Cinematic (full body, animated) or Spotlight (animated upper bodies) Styles or a combo of the two.

3. We would love to see diverse characters in your stories! For example, characters who are people of color, non-heteronormative, or are of varying religions and socioeconomic backgrounds, just to name a few!

4. The submission window is 8 weeks. Your story must be published no later than 11:59pm Pacific Time on Monday, June 4th, 2018.

5. You may NOT use or re-title a previously published story. This must be a new and original work that has not previously been published to Episode or another platform.

6. If you are an official Episode Director or Partner you may enter the contest, but only with original work outside the scope of your contract with us.

7. Be sure that your story follows our content guidelines and is suitable for a PG-13 audience. Stories that do not follow these guidelines or which violate our Content Guidelines may be disqualified and/or have their story banned from the app. If you are any doubts or questions about whether elements of your story fit with our Content Guidelines please contact the Episode Review team here. We are happy to help you with ANY questions you might have!

8. Winners are determined based on highest levels of reader engagement, rubric score and fit to contest theme.

9. There is no length requirement for this contest. You only need to have 3 completed chapters published by the entry deadline. You may not substantially alter or change your first 3 chapters after the deadline (other than to make minor corrections), but you may publish additional chapters after the submission window closes. Fixing typos and errors are allowed after the deadline for contest entries. This includes things like character or speech bubble placement, spelling / grammatical errors or typos. When in doubt ask Support before you make any changes. Story Cards (big and small) may not be changed after the entry deadline.

10. Remember to allow at least 3 business days prior to the contest deadline for your backgrounds, overlays and story cards to be processed. This means you should plan on submitting them no later than May 30th.

Winners from this contest will be showcased in a special Fantastical shelf in the Episode app and get a shoutout on our social media account! Winners will be announced 3 - 4 weeks after the submission deadlines passes as the stories need time to gain reads in the app and also for our staff to review them.

Happy writing!

Love,

The Episode Team

99 Likes

Yay! That cover won’t go to waste! Now, just for some ideas…

5 Likes

Yes I love this theme! Is there any chance we’ll have more fantasy clothing releases for limelight before the deadline? Writing fantasy with only one ballgown is a struggle :joy:

29 Likes

Super excited about this! Bet there will be some AWESOME stories!

4 Likes

Are we allowed to work with someone on this?

3 Likes

Collaborations are always allowed in contests. However, each person is limited to one entry, so if you work with someones else that counts as your story.

6 Likes

Can one episode just be character customization? Or do we have to have an episode with it because customizing can take up a lot of lines.

4 Likes

Awesome contest!

A question: Do you have to have 3 completed episodes? If you make 2 and lock a third one (because you always need 3 to publish) does it count?

1 Like

Are we allowed to use all three styles in one story?

4 Likes

According to point 11 above, you need three completed episodes. Locking one wouldn’t count.

2 Likes

Will you be adding fantasy clothes for Ink then?

19 Likes

Okay, thanks!

Awesome theme!!! I am looking forward to seeing what all of our amazing authors come up with. I love a good fantasy story!

1 Like

Excited to read these stories, Fantasy is a lovely genre!

Ooh, this sounds like a fun contest!

1 Like

Sounds great! I can see so many wonderful entries resulting from this.

3 Likes

Really excited! But just a question: I wrote one chapter for H & V (in the fantasy genre), but didn’t publish or enter it. Can I write two more chapters and enter that story for the Fantastical contest?

'Cause it said:

And my story was NEVER published. So, yeah, just wondering. Hopefully I can…

3 Likes

YES! A contest I can enter using a story that’s already in the works! I’m so exited for this, holy heck!

3 Likes

OMG dude good luck.

13 Likes

Aah! Thank you! That means a lot to me coming from my favorite fantasy writer on Episode! :grin:

7 Likes