Announcing Fantastical! Our June 2018 Creator's Contest

I guess that does count as fantasy. :thinking:

I don’t think so. I think castles, kingdoms and royal members are more historical. They actually happened and existed. I think its more about mythical creatures and magic, etc. I mean, we even still have castles and royal families around the world!

“Fantasy is a form of literary genre in which a plot cannot occur in the real world. Its plot usually involves witchcraft or magic, taking place on an undiscovered planet of an unknown world.”

6 Likes

I found a good definition of what makes a story fantasy

Fantasy is often characterized by a departure from the accepted rules by which individuals perceive the world around them; it represents that which is impossible (unexplained) and outside the parameters of our known, reality.

The site has more information here’s the link:

http://www.findmeanauthor.com/fantasy_fiction_genre.htm

1 Like

From what it looks like, I’ll have to change my entire story.
I’ve seen fantasy stories where there’s princesses and stuff in the fantasy section, however…

1 Like

I think this is the key. Something that can’t take place in the real world. To me, that means it should be evident as soon as possible

I think you can still have princess but since they exist in real life there has to be something other than that. You could change your story or keep it the way it is and either rewrite another one or save it for another contest. Don’t get discouraged! :blush:

1 Like

I could just make her have powers or have there be fairies or whatever, but at this point it’d just seem too extra, and really hard to make into the plot. I guess they can be from another world.

To me, you would be changing the entire structure of your story. Sometimes when you try to force something to fit, then you ruin the uniqueness of what makes it so amazing. I personally wouldn’t Change your story to fit the requirements. But, If you’re sure you want to change it, then if there’s anyway I can help you, please let me know. So far, I seem to do ok in fantasy as I’ve had about 10k reads on my story. There’s an audience there but it does require some traditional conventions

1 Like

I think I’ll just keep it the way it is, or just add something like a sky island, and just make it as unrealistic as possible. I’m sure I won’t be eliminated, as fantasy does include princess and princes and stuff, and where it takes place is made up as well. Thank you so much for your kind words.:slightly_smiling_face: I feel a lot better now.

2 Likes

Absolutely!! Best of luck!!

I am very excited I am entering my first contest.

I know what you mean here! That’s why I think there should be a section for historical fiction, personally. Thanks to J.R.R Tolkien (although I have to put my hands up and say I LOVE The Lord of the Rings), whenever people think fantasy, they think of medieval battles with big swords and chainmail, so whenever they put those things in their story without the fantastical elements, I guess it could become easy to fall into the trap of believing it’s fantasy.

Then we have C.S. Lewis, George R.R. Martin, Beowulf and the legends of King Arthur to thank for bolstering the link between the medieval period and fantasy. I mean, even though Narnia is technically set in the 20th Century, as soon as they go into the fantasy world, they are faced with a more medieval setting.

That’s not to say that I don’t love medieval fantasy, because I definitely do. I just hate it when people think that’s all there is to the genre, or that simply making a fiction story set in the medieval period qualifies it for being considered fantasy. I mean, Harry Potter is also a fantasy book set! Percy Jackson! Even Twilight qualifies!

RANT OVER

But on a more serious note, I am a bit of a fanatic about fantasy and sci-fi writing, so please feel free to come to me (anyone) if you would like some information! It’s probably because I’m doing a creative writing and editing masters next year.

2 Likes

I recommend making an origin story. That’s always a good way to boost the fantasy elements of a story: if this is an unknown island, you could maybe give an explanation about how it came to be where it is in one of your chapters. That could involve mythical creatures or magic! That way, you could hint to the lore of the island and occasionally make magical things happen without it being too intrusive.

*Personally, I love origin stories about islands that involve some cool, epic mythical creature that has long since died out. Something like… “The last two dragons on earth fought each other in an unrelenting battle. Their fire spewed out like lava, solidifying on the water and making land. Then, at last, exhausted and ready to give up, the two dragons fell down to rest on their new bed of stone. That’s why, if you look at it from above, the island looks like two dragons laying next to each other.”

I think I’ll make up an unrealistic story of how the island came to place… Regardless, I’m finishing this story because I’m sick of not finishing stuff! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That sounds good to me! Maybe even tie the name of the island into its creation lore! If it was made by the stars (who are people), then call it a name linked to stars or something like that!

By the way, please feel free to take that origin story if you want to. I made it up on the spot and it’s not great, but you’re 100% welcome to take anything you like.

1 Like

Just another note: I’ve written a post about the fantasy genre as a whole, so please feel free to check it out! (I’m a massive fantasy fanatic.)

1 Like

I’m so joining this! 2 episodes down! One more to go!

1 Like

Same! Me and my friend are entering and are annoyed we can’t seem to find many outfits that go for fantasy :frowning:

2 Likes

I know how you feel. My story is about mermaids

1 Like