Announcing the Digital Dating Writer’s Contest!

Hello Episode Authors,

It’s time to start the next Writer’s Contest!

The theme is… Digital Dating!

You’re trying to find love, but finding love using all the available digital methods can be a struggle. Whether you’re falling for an influencer, getting friendzoned on every date, or just striking out on dating apps, you’re determined to find your happy ending.

The specific guidelines are:

1. Your story must have “DD” in the title. Stories without “DD” in the title will be disqualified. While not required for entry it is strongly recommended that you format your title like this - “DD: Friendzone Central” This will help readers search for your story and identify it as a contest entry.

2. You must completely fill out this Google form to enter. In the event that you send the wrong link or make a mistake on your entry form, please send your story title, email address and the correct link in a support ticket so we can update your entry.

3. Your story can be in any genre, and it should explore what happens when your main character is trying to navigate finding love in a digital world.
    The main character and at least one romantic interest must be shown in the first episode.

Examples of possible plots:

• You’ve been looking for love for what feels like forever, but you can’t seem to find anyone who wants to be more than just friends. When you finally find someone who wants more, can you hold on to them?
    • Everything is going great in your new relationship until your new beau reveals they are an influencer and wants you to be a part of what they share. Will you be able to handle having your life now thrust into the public eye or will you crack under the pressure?
  4. You may write in either Cinematic (full-body, animated) or Spotlight (animated upper bodies) Styles or a combo of the two. You can use any art style you prefer.

5. We would love to see diverse characters in your stories! For example, characters who are people of color, non-heteronormative, or are of varying religions and socioeconomic backgrounds, just to name a few!

6. The submission window is 8 weeks. Your story must be published no later than 11:59 pm Pacific Time on Thursday, December 16, 2021. To find out what time that is in your time zone, go here!

7. You may NOT use or re-title a previously published story. This must be a new, original work not previously been published to Episode or other platforms. Sequels, prequels, spin-offs, etc. are also not allowed.

8. If you are an official Episode Director or Writer you may enter the contest, but only with original work outside the scope of your contract with us.

9. Be sure that your story follows our content guidelines. Stories that do not follow or which violate our Content Guidelines may be disqualified and/or have their story banned from the app. If you have any doubts or questions about whether elements or themes of your story fit with our Content Guidelines please contact the Episode Review team here. We are happy to help you with ANY questions you might have!

10. Winners are determined based on the highest levels of reader engagement, rubric score and fit to contest theme. Check out our Episode Explained articles on Creator’s Contests, the Grading Rubric and Reader Retention for more info on how they all work. As well, we recommend using keywords to your advantage, to help interested readers find your story quickly! For more information on how best to use Episode keywords, check this article out!

11. There is a length requirement for this contest. You need to have 3 completed chapters published by the entry deadline. Your story may be a complete short story or can be continued after the contest is over. You CAN publish new chapters during the judging period. However, you may not substantially alter or change your 3 published chapters after the deadline (other than to make minor corrections).

12. Fixing typos and errors are allowed after the deadline for contest entries. This includes things like character or speech bubble placement, spelling / grammatical errors or typos. You may not: add options to your CC, change or update your cover art, change your story’s genre, add additional scenes, choices, dialogue, backgrounds or overlays. When in doubt ask Support before you make any changes. Once the winner’s shelf has been made public you are free to make changes or updates to your story.

13. Remember to allow at least 3 business days prior to the contest deadline for your backgrounds, overlays and story cards to be reviewed. This means you should plan on submitting them no later than Monday, December 13, 2021. You may not add, change or modify story cards, backgrounds, or overlays after the entry deadline until the winner’s shelf is announced.

Winners from this contest will be showcased in a special Digital Dating shelf in the Episode app and get a shoutout on our social media account! Winners will be announced some time in January or early February as the stories need time to gain reads in the app and for our staff to review them.

Happy writing!

The Episode Team

65 Likes

very interesting prompt
feels very familiar

34 Likes

Hm, not bad. I like it! I’ll pass on this one though. Goodluck to those who are entering.

12 Likes

they had a very original idea!

25 Likes

Interesting. I’ll see if I can think of something.

2 Likes

LDR is that you :sob:

41 Likes

Dm me on instagram if you want to be added to a gc for this contest! @illuminadlyne Login • Instagram

3 Likes

I have mixed feelings about this prompt :sob:

11 Likes

Frr

4 Likes

Really…? :frowning:
Was really pumped to join with an unpublished story but there’s no way I can use this theme.
I hope the next one is more open…

22 Likes

Agreed.

2 Likes

Idk about this one if I’ll enter but good luck to all who will enter💜

3 Likes

Agree, this is very different from their normal contest themes.

5 Likes

i’ll pass on this contest… goodluck to those whose going to enter :two_hearts:

3 Likes

nauurr what is this :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:
the one moment im waiting for a good contest to come, i get this💀

13 Likes

LDR but make it 2020😂

17 Likes

Hahaha, I knew my story ‘Lovesick Timeless’ are LOL shelf 21’. Wow, my predictions is right. :joy: It is so strangely happening soon!

Good Luck for everyone entering contests.

See you in 2022 with my new upcoming stories. :sparkles:

7 Likes

This contest was clearly made for the queers :rainbow_flag:

cracks knuckles

10 Likes

get iittttt

2 Likes

63 Likes